Gretna

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Scottish_Morton, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Gretna 3-0 Montrose
    Gretna 6-0 Albion
    East Stirling 1-2 Gretna
    Morton 1-0 Gretna
    Gretna 1-0 Montrose
    Queen's Park 3-2 Gretna
    Gretna 1-0 Cowdenbeath
    Gretna 2-1 Cowdenbeath
    Peterhead 1-1 Gretna
    Falkirk 3-0 Gretna
    Gretna 5-1 East Fife
    Gretna 3-0 Elgin City
    Stenh'semuir 0-3 Gretna
    Gretna 8-1 East Stirling
    Albion 2-6 Gretna
    Gretna 4-1 Queen's Park
    Cowdenbeath 0-8 Gretna

-------------------------------------------------------

Must be bloody fun to be a Gretna fan! They've scored 51 league goals in 13 games. For those who don't know they're like the Scottish Third Division equivalent of Chelsea, they have a very rich owner putting alot of money in. Although only about 1200 people live in Gretna, it's alot of bother for so few :D. Notice how they've scored 26 goals in their last 4 games! Despite this they're still not top of their league! Because Peterhead have only dropped 2 points! It's like the Old Firm in the third division.

Tis a very weird club indeed!

(although they couldn't beat Morton)

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    To be fair, they've clearly stepped up a gear since the start of the season. Sadly, it looks like it started with the mauling of us down at Raydale.

Since then, they've gone goal crazy (39 goals in 7 games:rolleyes:)

Peterheasd tend to scrape out wins, albeit every week whereas Gretna just blow everyone away. They will win this league and I wouldn't bet against them winning the 2nd division in two years too.

3. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Morton need to get out of the second division this season, with Gretna coming and because we always get beat up at Peterhead.

The contast between East Stirling and Gretna is one of the most interesting things in Scottish football this season!

4. Pangloss

Pangloss New Member

Nov 3, 2004
    NYC
    I've read that they are also building a new 6,000 seat stadium that meets SPL standards. Amazingly enough they are still second in the table.

5. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I heard that too, it's quite funny because even if the whole town turned out the stadium would still seem empty :D

6. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Gretna won 6-2 today (Kenny Deuchar scoring 5 of them) to follow up from their 2-1 win over Peterhead last week. They're now top of the league and looking unstoppable.

Can they continue all tthe way to the SPL? Will they effectivly become Carlisle in the Scottish league?

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm looking forward to the 2nd division next season and I want Morton to stay down.

Raith are basically down already and with Gretna coming up, I think the Championship has been reserved, and since I don't want Raith bouncing straight back like they did last season, the stronger the league, the better. I think Brechin are looking good but I'm not sure how long Stranrear can keep up the good run and may fade away if they don't go up this season.

Mind you, Raith are murder, I can see things getting much worse before they get better for them.:D How funny.

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    The Doc is tearing up this league and I think he's now top scorer after playing only about half the games, he's a legend and still an East Fife hero (he still comes to our games when Gretna aren't playing).

That's the rumuor, that Mileson is effctively trying to move Carlisle into the Scottish League through Gretna. I'm not sure how much truth there is in that, why spend so much money on Gretna if that's the case?

9. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    is gretna the team with the oldest pro footballer in the uk? or am i thinking of another scottish team?

10. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Aye, that'll be Davie Irons. He's 43.

Actually, when we went down to Raydale earlier in the season, I thought their defence was quite vulnerable but they're so awsome going forward, nobody has any time or space to have a real go at them. I reckon a good defender should be at the top of their shoping list for their cack at the 2nd division.

11. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Gretna had over 1000 people in attendance at their last game. This was largely due to their chairman offering a free ticket to the Gretna - Dundee Utd cup game to those who went along on Saturday.

Their league record is now:

Played: 18
    Won:16
    Drew: 1
    Lost: 1

Scored: 68
    Conceeded: 16

12. Potong Jalan

Potong Jalan New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Singapore
    Talking of Gertna, why they had been playing in English's Dr. Martens league few years ago? Is it because they are geographically near to the English border?

13. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yes, they are right on the border, that's why English couples would elope to Gretna to take advantage of the more liberal Scottish laws on marriage.

14. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    Gretna is hosting the Carlisle v Leigh Nationwide Conference game on Saturday. I assume that Brunton Park is still under water.

It will be interesting to see how the attendance compares with Gretna's average.

The game is supposed to be all ticket for Carlisle fans, but Leigh supporters have been told they can pay on the day. I'm not sure where that leaves any Gretna locals who don't follow either team.

Will this be the most senior English league game to have been played in Scotland?

15. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Leigh have a pish support, I doubt they'll take more than 100, if that, and even then only because it's so close.

I think the Carlisle end will be full. If I'm not mistaken, there's a temporary stand going up that seats 3,000 (more than doubling the capacity of Raydale Park - which, incidentally, is a ********ing hovel.)

Gretna only has around 3,000 "locals" so I doubt that many neutrals are going to bother to show up.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yes, I would imagine it's the only English League game to have been played in Scotland, apart from when Gretna themselves were in the English League.

17. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Gretna have today signed Steve Tosh from Aberdeen for £30k. Tosh has made 20 appearances for Aberdeen this season but he was coming out of contract at the end of the season and Gretna could offer a better contract so Aberdeen sold him instead of losing him for nothing in the summer.

It's a funny world where Gretna can be a better offer than Aberdeen!

18. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    It's a funny world where Steve Paterson signings see Gretna as their next step from Aberdeen...

;)

19. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What's the story behind Carlisle?

20. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    The Gretna chairman is also a Carlisle United fan, Gretna get many of their fans from Carlisle.

I was sceptical about the chairman, Mileson, and his motives at first, maybe to bring Carlisle United into Scottish football by buying out Carlisle United and moving Gretna to Carlisle. However he just seems to be a generous man who has an interest in football.

If Gretna get into the SPL I do imagine that they will take many fans from Carlisle United and generally from the town. There is no fan base in Gretna really, if he wanted to make Gretna a big club the fans would have to make the short trip north of the border from Carlisle.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Do I smell a merger on the horizon a la Rushden & Diamonds?

22. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    (I expanded my first post slightly.)

Yeah, I did think that at first. It happened with Clydebank becoming Airdrie United here recently. However, Mileson just seems to want to make the people of Gretna happy. He seems to get his kicks out of the happiness of others.

23. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Rumour is that Gretna will today sign Morton's captain Derek Collins as a player coach. Derek has made more appearances for Morton than anyone else ever and has been one of our best players this season. Yet we let Gretna offer him a contract without us offering him anything or even asking him to stay, 10 shades of suck is what it is!