Gregorio to RSL, COL gets 1st Rd Supplemental Pick 2007, YI

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GreatGonzo, Jun 29, 2005.

1. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  2. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supplemental draft replaced later rounds of the Superdraft.

Superdraft has 4 rounds - a month or so later the Supplemental draft occurs and it also has 4 rounds (so it is like getting a 5th round pick in terms of the Gregorio trade).

3. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    it's basically a 5th round superdraft pick, just happens later (unless MLS changes rules again ...)

why Colorado didn't pick up this young midfield prospect (2nd round pick last year who probably would've gone higher if not going to Europe) is beyond me. What youngster's on the wing are set for the future?

4. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The YI could be pretty useful. I think supplemental pick has something to do with league expansion, but I've never been very good at MLS math.

5. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Nothing Colorado can do if the kid doesn't want to play in MLS and would rather play for Darlington in the "Football League Two" (i.e., 4th division) in England.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I'm pretty sure it was more like Gregorio not wanting to sign on with Colorado than it was Colorado not offering enough to Gregorio.

Someone asked above - yeah, you guys basically got screwed over. Or at least you got snubbed. Gregorio is a top notch player (or was before he went to England). He didn't want to play with Colorado. He's obviously willing to play for RSL though.

I'd consider it fodder for your brewing rivalry with RSL.

7. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think your missing the point here. He's signing with MLS NOW. Colorado held his rights. Unless he refuses to play for FC (or anyone not name Ellinger), then why not release Wolde Harris NOW and sign Gregorio NOW since he's NOW entering MLS :).

8. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean Adolfo Gregorio is making a move to MLS or is it for his "draft rights" like Miami and LA when they drafted Cory Gibbs.

9. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given his history, I'd guess that his real preference is to play for Ellinger. Still it's not an endorsement for the Rapids.

He's really still a big question mark. We don't know that he turned down any interest from D1 or Premiership sides to play with RSL, and Darlington isn't really a destination for aspiring young Yanks.

10. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    From the article, they're just getting the rights to Gregorio. However, unlike a certain team in MLS, RSL seems like they know what they're doing and wouldn't go for a guy unless they were sure they were gonna get him. And it sounds like they're gonna get him. But I could be wrong.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
  12. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    That makes your position a lot more sensible. We probably should have gotten more for his rights. A quick look at the Darlington web site didn't turn up any news, but Gregorio hasn't been given a squad number for th eupcoming season: http://www.darlington-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10339~678990,00.html

Then again, who knows what the Rapids will turn up with that extra YI spot.......hopefully someone uninjured.

13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    My understanding at the time of the 2004 draft was that Gregorio wanted to try his chances in England instead of taking the low-ball offer from MLS. (Probably the minimum 25k or so at the time.) There were some questions about his pace and that's why he fell into the 2nd round. Well, now the kids knocked around England for the better part of two seasons. Darlington is a lower division club but they're known as a showcase for players who want to catch on with a higher division. He hasn't gotten any offers so now he's back in MLS with his tail between his legs. He may be a "top notch player" but it's hard to believe that nobody in England wants him. As a Rapids fan, it doesn't sound like losing him is a huge problem.

14. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Another YI spot ... great ... we don't even use all our SI slots!!!!

Actually, not a bad deal if Gregorio doesn't turn into a more than decent MLS player.

15. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    The only coach in the league willing to give this kid a try is Ellinger because he coached him before. Sound familiar? Trembly

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was a great trade for the Rapids, considering they ewre probably going to get nothing for the pick. I doubt Gregorio was willing to come back to MLS and play for the Rapids, and after 2 years I think the Rapids lose their rights to him. At least we got another pick and another International spot out of him, when we could have very easily gotten nothing.

Of course, if he comes over and scored 5 goals against us in the Rocky Mountain Cup, I'm going to have to reconsider...

17. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    There is more:

From RMN ...
    TRADING YOUTH: The Rapids acquired a Permanent Youth International slot from Real Salt Lake for the rights to Adolfo Gregorio. If Gregorio were to sign with RSL before Dec. 31, RSL would surrender its first-round pick in the 2007 MLS supplemental draft to the Rapids. The Rapids also traded the rights to John Pulido to FC Dallas for a fourth-round pick in the 2006 supplemental draft.

Colorado, which now has three permanent Youth Slots available, selected Gregorio and Pulido in the 2004 SuperDraft.

ETC.: Clavijo said Matt Crawford's right quadriceps injury likely will end his season. The midfielder, who has played in only four games and started three, has missed the past four games .

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I think his not signing with the league and all the other teams figuring out he was going to Europe (so why waste a draft pick) was the reason he fell to the 2nd round. Cory Gibbs fell several rounds. Robbie Russell probably did too (don't know about him for sure).