Gregorio and Cabrera on their way?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jul 12, 2005.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got this from a poster on RSL.org:

Ellinger on 1280 this morning (8:30AM for those who want to try to find it in the taped version)

Some notes:

- Chris Brown will be moved to the back line this week
    - Gregorio (sp?) will likely be available this week (says Aug 15th deadline does not apply)
    - Cabrera will likely be coming on soon as well (same thing w/ Aug 15th deadline not applying)
    - Jay Nolly to start against Minnesota
    - Broome likely available Saturday, but Coach E doesn't feel that he's in 90-minute game shape yet, so he'd be a sub

2. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nolly at keeper for the Thunder match.....doesn't sound too bad. It'd be a good rest for DJ, and good experiance for Nolly.

GO RSL!

Beat that team over in.........ah who cares, just beat 'em!

3. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This info was confirmed by Coach E today after practice.

4. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they started questioning how Chivas was going to be getting players before Aug 15th and found out that the same situation applied to these guys as well. I guess it had to do with them not having a contract before a certain date (June 30th I believe).

5. mrstucki

mrstucki Member

Aug 23, 2004
    10 min. from stadium
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Apparently the international transfer window doesn't apply to out of contract players?

6. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Here's to hoping we'll get those reinforcements ASAP...I don't mind the idea of Nolly against the Thunder. He was pretty good against the Galaxy, Vagenas' incident with the turf monster notwithstanding.

7. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
  8. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all of us non-Spanish speakers, here's the Babel Fish Translation version:

Gustavo Goatherd could say good bye to him to the Salt Lake City.

13/7/2005. After the bad performance of the National Selection in the Gold Glass, the hiring of the central defense Gustavo Goatherd in the MLS of the United States could no longer occur. The player was contacted by the Sport Network until Houston, Texas and said: You fixed already with the equipment of the MLS? "My representative said yesterday to me that the agreement already was, that single lacked to fix things in the economic thing, but today it called to me very annoying and it said to me that everything could fall". It affirmed. The annoyance is by the economic thing? "If. It is because they lowered the economic amount that offered to me and that bothered my representative ". It explained. "I that this situation goes away to fix, for that reason do not worry". He concluded.

9. sokol

sokol Member

Aug 4, 2004
    to be honest, based on what I saw of him in the Gold Cup, I'd be happy if RSL didn't sign him. I watched Guatemala's games just to watch him, and I don't think he'd help much. He was not a great athlete, and many times he was beaten badly purely on speed. He wasn't a ball winner either. He was a positional defender, that is to say he sits back and lets the game come to him. He was fairly skilled and a decent passer, but a team that has given up 11 goals in 2 games to Chivas and an A-league team needs a hard-nosed, ball winning defender, a guy who plays like Eddie Pope, not Carlos Bocanegra.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad, I for one had high hopes for Cabrera.
    RSL still needs defensive depth badly.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From another board:
    http://www.prensalibre.com/pl/2005/julio/13/118694.html

This link says he signs this weekend. This is the most trustworthy guatemalan news sight available

Babel fish for you non spanish speakers says
    Gustavo Goatherd to the Real Salt Lake Houston, Texas. - The central defense of the selection of Guatemala, Gustavo Goatherd, obtained yesterday an agreement with the Real picture Salt Lake of the American MLS and will sign this week his contract. "everything is already defined and I will remain here to go to sign with the equipment", said Goatherd in Houston to the international press, after concluding yesterday the training of the Selection of Guatemala that participates in the Glass Gold. Goatherd, of 25 years, explained that his representative makes this week the last managements for his incorporation to the Real Salt Lake "more soon possible". Goatherd had traveled prior to Salt Lake City, in the state of Utah, to test and to be before the trainer of that equipment, the American John Ellinger. First experience "first experience at international level Is my and I am very contented and mainly, trusted that the things will come out well with my new equipment", it aimed. With the hiring of Goatherd they will be the four Guatemalans who will militate this season in the American MLS. The steering wheel Guillermo Ramirez plays for the Galaxy of the Angels; Carlos Ruiz for the FC Dallas and Mario Rodriguez for the Columbus Crew. -

12. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    so is cabrera coming or not? i heard on lared that everything was suppose to be finished by today.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposively Cabrera is still in SLC and just waiting for his US work permit.

14. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera was at practice today. He didn't practice with the team. He just ran laps. He did look pretty good in the RSL practice gear though.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent news. Good to hear.

16. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Cabrera had a knee injury?

Why is he still in SLC?

17. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    i have no idea

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just assumed he was injured. That collision looked pretty nasty. If he's running already that bodes well for his recovery abilities.

19. NSG-1

NSG-1 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Nah, I didn't think that it looked that bad personally. Guate goal keeper came out and fell on top of Cabrera while catching a ball. Looked like a few weeks of rest and ice should be more than fine. If I'm not mistaken, he has to wait to get a work permit, right? Not sure if I'm correct on this, but if he does then that would mean that he's can't play for them until papers are in order anyway, so a few weeks of rest on that knee should be more than enough. Hope that he signs. Would be a great addition to the league.

20. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cabrera is waiting for a work visa which could take a couple of weeks, but he has signed a contract. He'll probably be available on Aug 6th, the 13th for sure.

Gregorio has to wait until the Aug 15th transfer window because he was under contract to Darlington (I think it was Darlington anyway). He won't be available until then at the earliest. He has not signed a contract yet.

Don't be surprised if you see a few more moves in the next few weeks too.

21. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    This morning, John Ellinger had his weekly radio interview on 1280 AM.

He said that RSL is petitioning FIFA to let Gregorio play earlier.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting Gregorio and Cabrera early would be a big boost to the club. I'm still sticking with Cabrera being a tough SOB. He's like Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Damn I'm old.

23. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not going to happen with Gregorio. They actually did win the petition to allow Cabrera to sign early, but Gregorio was still under contract with his old team where Cabrera was not. Gregorio is going to have to wait until the Aug 15th transfer window.

Now, if we can just get our speedy government in gear and get Cabrera a work visa, he will be playing soon.

24. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    thanks for the info.it was finally cleared up.i kept wondering if cabrera was coming or not.