Greg Shertzer Trial in Ireland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChambersWI, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I graduated with Greg this past May, and his agent released this press release last week

This was then posted earlier today on the Krahling Sports Agency Facebook paige.

I played against Greg in High School so hopefully this works out for him.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Irish league sucks. And if this guy already graduated i;d assume he's a little older than 19 or 20? Good for him, personally, but nothing noteworthy compared to other YA's.

3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    correct he's 22. I understand it's not really noteworthy and the Irish League sucks, but thought I'd share cause it is a potential YA. He was a decent D-2 player though scoring 38 goals in 4 years and was PSAC POTY this past season. Played CAM, CF, LW, and RW

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best to him. If he's your friend, it's even cooler.

5. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we used to talk about Ryan Guy and his throw-ins when he was in the Irish League...

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    WTF is with this attitude?

Apologies ChamberWI we appreciate the info!

arsenalfc08 and Zak1FCK repped this.
  7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I said good for him, personally, and the best to him, and I have some attitude? The Irish league does suck, and maybe the problem is more you're Irish? Lol.

I also think the Norwegian league sucks, but doesn't mean i dislike or have a problem with the guys actually playing in it.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Saying someone's career "isn't noteworthy" is extremely disrespectful.

And the Irish League doesn't "suck." It sends guys over to professional english and scottish football all the time.

It's one of the best scouted leagues in Europe. If this guy has got skills, he will be seen.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say his career wasn't noteworthy. The move to Ireland and how it stacks up against other YA's isn't noteworthy.

Clearly.

Don't make shit up and put words in my mouth.

My fiance is Bulgarian, but if i had a friend who played in the Bulgarian league, I;d say that league sucks to, as it does. Doesn't mean I wouldn't wish him the best, as I did to the kid we're talking about.

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way it reads does sound condescending. Just FYI.

Zak1FCK and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We like following YA's on this board.

Even if they play in the Nepal league. Or the Azerbaijani 2nd division. Or the German 8th division.

If you think the league they play in "sucks" or their moves aren't "noteworthy" then dont post in their threads.

For all we know this guy could be the next Jay Demerit.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so i should only comment on leagues which are good, and only comment on moves which are noteworthy? I follow all moves and as many leagues as possible, some moves are more noteworthy than others, and some leagues better than others. Take the good with the bad. Learn to deal with difference of opinion, instead of asking those who don't share the same view to censor themselves so you're only surrounded by perceived positives.

Or should anyone who thinks Clints potential move to Sunderland not say anything about it being a lesser destination compared to what we were hoping for, because some Sunderland fan doesn't like their team being talked about in a negative light? I guess if someone says a move to Sunderland sucks compared to Arsenal or liverpool, they shouldn't post in Dempsey threads? Just following your logic.

13. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    way to be positive!

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm Irish and you have got to be smoking some SERIOUS shit. The league is lousy, with attendances in the 1-2k mark, that sends (i.e. there are fees paid) at most 5 players in a (very) good year to UK clubs; invariably in the bottom divisions.

As for being "one of the best scouted leagues in Europe," I don't want to come on all Kenn Tomasch but that is just delusional.

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree entirely. If a guy is a YA playing in a rinky-dink league, he's still trying to make it abroad and should be covered. But let's not get any illusions about the quality of a league. The League of Ireland is - at best - bottom half of the English 5th division. The guy has to start somewhere, and Ireland is easier on work permits than the UK, so it's a place for him to start. The problem is that if he can't find ways to work out an EU passport, it will turn into a dead end pretty easily.

16. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    FWIW I was not offended by anything said. I made the thread for a few reasons.

1.Greg is a friend of mine, and I am happy to see him get the opportunity. It also looks good for our college as we are a very small school in the mountains of Pennsylvania.
    2.He is American, and I've seen threads pop up for yanks going to smaller places so why not give him some love?

But yeah I knew the Irish league isn't great.

USvsIRELAND and Deeneaus repped this.
  17. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every American playing abroad is noteworthy! Kudos to your friend for living the dream! I wish him the best of luck! Keep us updated on his season, please!

P.S.: At quick glance, I read Greg Seltzer. I loled.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  18. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Best of luck to him. He's a YA so I'll support him like we do with any of the other players. If guys in the 5-6th division of Sweden can have threads than so can this guy.

Is it a great league? Maybe not, but this guy is living his dream just like the players in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, etc and that deserves respect IMO. I have a few friends who are chasing their own pro soccer dreams and they'll be the first to say that support from anywhere means a lot. Some of them don't get support from places you would automatically expect (parents, some friends,). Sorry to kinda get off topic but it is true. Plus if signing in Ireland (assuming he's offered a contract) means he doesn't have to work a regular 9-5 job for a while then why not?

RyGuy did well in Ireland before moving to MLS. He was well liked by the St. Pats fans IIRC. Lets not forget those awesome flip throw ins!

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    The fact is: If there is talent in the Irish leagues (in the north or in the republic) it will be found. Numerous english teams play preseason games over there. And many send scouts. If you don't know this you obviously don't attend many matches or know anyone that is connected with the league.

Like you said, you have to start somewhere. Irish League isn't worse than parts of league two. If the guy has a EU passport, or has the ability to gain one then he has a shot at fully professional soccer in his future.

And of course, he always has the opportunity to blow up like Jay Demerit.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    You can comment on whatever you like. And I can comment on whatever I like. That is the beauty of message boards. Your attitude was crap, and I stated that. I think you need to learn that other people may not like your opinion so you shouldn't get so whiny and defensive about it.

Zak1FCK repped this.
  21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    FYI it takes 5 years of residence in the Republic of Ireland to be eligible to apply for an Irish passport. I don't know if a player would ever spend 5 years playing in Ireland but it is an option. RyGuy spent 3 years before moving to MLS.

22. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of contract per Transfermarkt-
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/greg-shertzer/profil/spieler_213326.html

"The opening round of the 2014 USASA Region I Amateur Cup took place on on April 13 with four teams moving one step closer to qualifying for the 2015 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup... Vereinigung Erzgebirge from Eastern Pennsylvania traveled to the Maryland Soccerplex to face 2009 Amateur Cup champion Dulles Sportsplex Aegean Hawks from Metro DC/Virginia... A Greg Shertzer goal in the 29th minute gave VE a 1-0 halftime lead..."
    http://thecup.us/2015-us-open-cup-q...o-decide-usasa-region-i-entry-for-first-time/