Greg Lalas: Vagenas wants Nat chance

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bigrose30, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was mainly going for the point that you can only have self confidence in your own abilities, and it's impossible to have self-confidence in somebody else. It was an attempt to be funny that did not go all the way to funny. :(

:D

2. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's OK, I got it. It was good. :)

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I seem to remember a few shots of Pete on the bench as well...

Of course, his health (or lack thereof) had absolutely nothing to do with leaving him off the Gold Cup roster, I'm sure...

4. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not mind at all if he got a look. I like seeing how unknowns do on the international stage. I think his play in MLS has deserved it. But who knows? If he keeps up his play in MLS the rest of the season who's to say he won't be called in for a qualifier or a friendly in 2006 and still make the WC squad? Anything is possible with Arena.

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta give Pete props, at least he has the stones to step and say he wants a shot. Could be his death blow in the process, I don't know how Arena will react, but for me I'd say here you go cause I'm from Missouri.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't chris brown used to pop off after every goal he scored a few years back that he wanted bruce's attention, wanted on the team, etc.

it doesn't take stones. it takes a big mouth. two every different things.

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Pete should do what I did when I got cut from the 7th grade B-ball team - SHOW UP TO CAMP ANYWAY!

Worked for me! Played all through junior high.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or we could follow homer's plan:

hide under a pile of coats and hope that everything just takes care of itself.

9. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    From what I've seen of him, he's having a pretty good season and maybe deserves a shot. I know a lot of people are skeptical about his abilities, but I'm sure it was the same way with Zavagnin a year and a half ago. Don't tell me that didn't leave a lot of people scratching their head.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm still skeptical about zavagnin's abilities.
    him playing for the team hasn't made me feel any better about it.

11. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Heh, I'm kind of the same way. He's a decent player and he plays his role well enough, but every time I see him in the starting line-up I'm thinking "can't we do better than that?" The fact that he toured practically half of Europe and was unable to find a club willing to sign him does not speak well for his abilities either.

12. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    One problem is that he is a two way player, and not DEFENSIVE midfielder. The second problem is that he used to play for Sigi who DIDN'T allow the defensive midfielder to go forward. (Think about how Dalby is better than Bradley, you got the idea). Pete only showed his offensive ability after Simpson took over.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Was that Homer or Grandpa?

14. reddevilfc16

reddevilfc16 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

Even behind a healthy Pablo and Zav, depending on the formation Bruce puts out on the field, someone like Pete could find himself stacked up behind Pablo, Reyna, JOB, Armas (I like him, but unfortunatley I think he missed his World Cup chance in 02 b/c of injury), and Zav. Being that low in the pecking order for a holding mid doesn't bode well.

I say this only b/c I like the way we look playing the 4-2-2-2 or whatever Bruce has it named. DMB and Landon running the AM and getting balls into McBride and <fill in striker of the week here> is creative. Having that speed helps our defend and counter style of play (don't agree with it, just stating the obvious...)

Regardless, Pete has HUGE cojones for expressing his opinion on the matter. Big props to Pete on that, its nice to see someone with a burning desire to be included on their national team, and not having to hear about the club/country #!@%.

Just my .02

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pete's case isn't built solely on his own ability. His point is: when I go head to head with people who have been called up and play the same position, I am better. I can't say that I've paid the kind of attention to positional battles to have an informed opinion.

His point about people playing in the third division "of wherever" is aimed at the call up of Joe Enochs, who BS posters used to clamor to see. He's right on that point. Clyde Simms has to be another he is thinking about.

As for the injury, that came during pregame warmups for Saturday's game, and so cannot be a factor in the non call up for the Gold Cup.

16. 5t3v3

5t3v3 New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    vagenas

Just a thought but why has'nt peter vagenas been given a chance?He's having a great season and i think he deserves a chance,i don't really see why mastroeni,zavagnin,armas are called up quite regulary when vagenas is even given a chance? any suggestions why this is?

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. jayro75

jayro75 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Re: vagenas

I for one love Vagenas....... :p :p

19. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Not to question Bruce's handling of the USMNT necessarily, but my preference is for a more versatile midfield -- more Holland than Italy -- so I wish guys like this did get a look. But Bruce does like people in more clearly defined roles and so I don't think a utility midfielder, even a good one, has much chance. Makes you wonder if Dempsey can keep up his status (though he has youth on his side, among other things).

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agreed with everything until this.

it does not take huge cojones to do this. it takes a mouth and a tape recorder. telling some reporter that you want to be on the national team isn't all brave. Telling bruce to his face is. and as far as we know, he hasn't. he's just another athlete mouthing off to the press because he doesn't know any better. can we stop making him out to be braveheart?

like i said, chris brown used to do the same thing ... and look where it's gotten him. that's right ... chris who?

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't remember ever watching a quakes/la game and going 'damn, pete is all over Mulrooney.' i think richard won those battles cleanly more often than not.

22. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember how well he did at the Sydney Olympics?

I'm just sitting back saying who cares, we've now reached the status of a soccer nation that has players who are possibly capable of making the team, but are not on the team for whatever reason. AND now the players have avenues to campaign on their own behalf. 1990 sure looks tiny in that rear view mirror.

23. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because a good half-season doesn't quite make up for several years of mediocrity. At this time last season, quite a few people in LA thought Vagenas needed to be benched.

24. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999

Aha! But 1 1/2 games for Quaranta apparently does...

I kid. Kinda.

Bottom line, Pete. You don't fit in Bruce's system. The fact that you've played excellent soccer this year - dead accurate passing, hustle, getting into and oftentimes initiating the attack, and even scoring goals - doesn't seem to matter. There are specific roles in Arenaball, and you don't quite fit into any of them. You're not the hard-nosed defensive midfielder in the mold of Chris Armas or Pablo Mastroeni. You're certainly not an attacking midfielder like Landon Donovan. Too bad you're not a right midfielder.

But don't feel badly. You can join a few other damn good players who couldn't be pegged into a specific ArenaRole but have managed to do just fine. Give Richard Mulrooney a call. Or maybe just send him flowers. Same for Taylor Twellman. You guys could start a club.

I write all this as somebody who has enjoyed watching the resurgence in your play this year. I've even put you into the All-American 11 team a couple of times. You've been that good. I would have liked to have seen you on the Gold Cup roster and given a chance.

But around these parts, questioning why Arena favors certain players over others is tantamount to Internet suicide. I just can't jump off that bridge for you. Good luck with the Galaxy. Send 3-6-1 my best.

25. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

I hold out hope that maybe he'll get a call-up sometime. It's great how he's resurrected his career under Sampson.

Nutmeg- maybe we should make out an "All-Snub" lineup. Guys who may have gotten a callup or several but are just not in Arena's plans. Note: youngsters like Adu or Euro kids who no one has ever seen aren't qualified. Neither is Chungy.

Forwards- Twellman, Kreis, Cunningham, Buddle

central mids- Vaengas and Mulrooney

wingers- Henderson, Klein,

defenders- Frasier, Burciaga Jr, Barrett

keeper- Cannon

I'm sure folks can improve on my off the top of hy head picks.