Greenland league

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Gerrit, Jul 15, 2005.

1. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the new artificial field does not meet FIFA regulations with regards to width or length. However, I don't see why Greenland can't be affiliated with FIFA for the sole purpose of playing beach football. It looks like they have plenty of sand to play on.

2. Okin

Okin New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    There used to be another team in Qanaaq, T-41 (Tupilak-41)
    They were greenlandic champions 3 times: 1968, 1970 and 1971. In 1969 they were the runners-up.
    They're the worlds northernmost team who ever won a national championship.
    Later, they moved to the city of Aasiaat which is located much more southern.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenland is an awesome place - would love to go back one day.. how's Tasilaaq doing?

4. Okin

Okin New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Yeah, i also want to visit it some day

As of 2014, Tasiilaq had 3 Clubs: ATA (Tasiilaq), K-64 (Kuumiut) and TM-62 (Kulusuk).
    Kuumiut and Kulusuk are small villages near Tasiilaq.
    The 3 are comepting in the qualifying zone "east" for the overall greenland championship.
    Theoretically, the winners of this zone could enter the final round, but nearly every year they withdrew due to financial reasons. :(

How awesome would it be if Ittoqqortoormiit or Nord Station would field a team ? :D

5. Okin

Okin New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Could it be possible to create a "real" league in Greenland ?

I know that the greenlandic championship isn't played in a usual league format with home and away matches due to high travelling costs... but...
    Around 20 clubs are participating in the qualifying stage. The majority of these are based in the south-western coast area. So travelling costs shouldn't be too high...
    Couldn't it be possible to create a two tier system: The first tier as a small nationwide league (6 or 7 clubs) & the second tier split into two groups (north & south, both 7 or 8 clubs)

What do you think about this ? Could it work ?

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, have you ever been to Greenland? I have and traveling costs are mindbogglingly high... I mean beyond reason high... there are virtually no roads connecting towns or settlements so basically all transportation has to be done by boat, helicopter, or plane.. and it's a HUGE country, too.... I flew into Kulusuk on the east coast from Iceland and managed to catch a ride with a fishing boat to Tasilaq for a whopping $150 (it was literally an hour ride), and chopper it back for about half the price... but trying to get anywhere on the west coast, Illulissat for instance, after checking out the complex and EXTREMELY expensive Greenland Air connections, I just gave up finally... but I can see travel costs being a huge detriment to the league there...

7. Okin

Okin New Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Oh, i didn't know travelling costs are so extremely high... I thought the bigger problem was that most clubs don't have much money...
    So... the top tier split in two little groups (10 or 12 clubs in total, so 5/6 per group)... then there wouldn't be too many away matches
    In Austria, nearly every club (also in the lower leagues) includes it current main sponsor in its OFFICIAL name (so they're practically not used by anyone except the media) to earn extra money. If the greenlandic clubs still would have financial problems they could do the same