Greenland league

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Gerrit, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sampi vs Greenland

[​IMG]

3. Forza_Italia

Forza_Italia New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    mississauga
    by the looks of the kick around in qaanaaq if they built the national team stadium there they could compete with any team at home i mean look at the field its made of snow could you imagine a concacaf team like mexico or costa rica going there to play

4. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada would have someone to play in Gold Cup qualifiers.

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
  6. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Canadian Supporter, one word for you:thanks

Everytime I have doubts if I do the right thing by sticking to a travelling lifestyle, pics like this stur up my longing to travel the world. thanks, honestly.

And Qanaaq has, as I already said, the northernmost competitive club in the world.

If Alert forms a team and enters the upcoming Canadian league they could take over the title ;)

7. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No problem. I was looking up info about Greenland soccer and non-fifa teams last night and came across the pictures.

Haha... not even sure if Alert has a proper population. I think it is mostly a military base.

Do you follow the Arctic Winter Games at all? Indoor soccer is one of the sports included in the games. The next AWC will be hosted by the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska 2006. www.awg2006.org

The main website... www.awg.ca

8. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Perfect chance for FIFA to test the plastic pitches.

9. golle21

golle21 New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Danish international Jesper Groenkjaer is born in greenland, so he might be eligible to for the greenlandic team, i also play with a guy from greenland here in the irish 3 div.

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about global warming. Greenland's glaciers are melting away. There goes the home field advantage.

11. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    By the time all that thick ice is melted away they may have reached the level of England or Italy already... I mean, global warming is there for sure, but it doesn't go from one day to another ;)

12. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Chorley, England
    Well, the first two words explain why he would NOT be eligible - you can only declare yourself for one international team nowadays.
    BTW I actually thought that the Greenlandic champions were decided by a tournament as opposed to a league in the more traditional sense.

13. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  14. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I think in the case of Gronkjaer it would be different because he chose to play for Denmark in a time Greenland's FA was not affiliated with FIFA yet. If Greenland gains soccer independence and gets into the FIFA I think he would still be entitled to change.

Compare it to ex-Yugoslavia. Some players played for the united Yugoslavia and then after the split-up went on playing for Slovenia/Bosnia/Serbia-M/Croatia/FYROM. I think if Greenland's FA gets recognised by FIFA the same rule would count for Gronkjaer: as if his place of birth gets political independence from the country he played for.

15. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If they become a member with FIFA I hope they join CONCACAF. :cool:

16. iowa007

iowa007 Member

Apr 30, 2001
    California
    Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to be a country to be able to get into FIFA now. (Which explains why Martinique is not in FIFA) I think UEFA has the same rule now. Remember Gibraltar? (although Gibraltar might be able to get UEFA membership because they applied before UEFA changed the rule).

Martinique has some sort of associated membership with CONCACAF, maybe Greenland can get the same kind of membership.

thoughts, questions, comments...

discuss..

IOWA007

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, you only have to take a short look at Grønkjaer (and his name) to notice that his parents are Danish, but that he probably by chance was born on Greenland. A lot of Danes work on Greenland a few years, then to return back home to Denmark.

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'm affraid that you Canadians are going to lose that battle ;) ... In any case the "mighty Empire" of Denmark is now well on the way to claim the North Pole as well. :D

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/id-arcticviking1.htm
    http://ming.tv/flemming2.php/__show_article/_a000010-001594.htm

19. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I may be wrong but AFAIK only UEFA has the new rule that only independent countries can become member. Not sure though but I think only UEFA has the rule.

Greenland did participate in the Northern Cyprus-hosted tournament for non-FIFA nations. I think because of geographical reasons it would make sense anyway to affiliate with CONCACAF rather than UEFA, especially now with UEFA not accepting dependencies and colonies anymore.

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Since Greenland is not an independent country, but only partly self-governed Danish territory, I doubt it would be possible for this part of the Kingdom of Denmark to join CONCACAF... Denmark would then in principle have to be affiliate with both UEFA and CONCACAF, which I think is impossible.

21. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Puerto Rico and Hong Kong are full FIFA members, so Greenland could be if they wanted to, just not through UEFA.

22. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot I posted in this thread.

Seriously though, it would be great if they joined CONCACAF and FIFA. Could you imagine a Caribbean or Central American nation drawing them in WCQ (which would most likely happen in the early rounds how CONCACAF is setup)? Could you imagine some country like Guatemala or Trinidad going up to Greenland and when they get off the plane and their reaction? "Uh, I can't feel my toes." (Per weather I looked up as I posted, it is 48 degrees F now at noon at the end of June.)

Sure, they'd get killed in the away leg and that would be that, but Greenland has one heck of a homefield advantage in the right conditions. :D

23. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Not sure about recent changes of rules in FIFA but as far as I know only UEFA has restrictions on colonies and dependencies.

A lot of non-independent states have their own FIFA membership:

Guam
    American Samoa
    Puerto Rico
    Cook Islands
    Hong Kong
    Macau
    Faroe Islands
    Palestine
    UK Virgin Islands
    US Virgin Islands
    Montserrat
    Aruba
    Neth. Antilles
    Bermuda

24. roma girl

roma girl New Member

Jul 1, 2007
    i'm so interested in every thing about greenland cause it's the home of jesper gronkjaer my idol .....it's really amazing that they have a league !!!

25. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Heh, their record win is an 18-0 over Sark (smallest non-private channel island) in the island games.