Greek Islands

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by JeffGMc, Jan 30, 2006.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey all, thinking about the Greek Islands for some diving and a honeymoon in late October, any tips?

2. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Definitely go to Lesbos.

3. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Santorini. it was so beautiful.

4. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    It would help if you gave more information.

Are you loking for a nice quiet place with secluded beaches and no people? Are you looking for places with clubs and a big tourist and party scene?

There are lots of places in Greece. You gotta help us help you...

5. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quiet, beautiful and diving. Right now I think we're thinking Santorini, but I'm very open to any other ideas at this point. In addition to having some time alone in a beautiful spot, she and I want to capture some of the rest of the country while we're there as well.

Still, points to Pete for Lesbos, can't go wrong with that kind of advice. :D

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have fun. Looks beautiful from what I have seen on tv. *jealous* congrats on wedding too.

7. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    My friend lives on Crete and he says it's the most beautiful place in the world. I've never been, so I can't comfirm, but he generally knows what he's talking about.

8. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Doesn't Greece consist of like 30-40 small islands? I would go to one that is very secluded and spend your time there. Then when you get bored head out to the mainland.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Crete is...........nice. But it gets way too hot in the Summer.

10. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sure, but it seems easier to ask which of the 40 islands might be more secluded than others. I'm just trying to make finding the right ones easier.

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santorini and Mykonos, though they are regularly rated among the top islands in the world, are most certainly not secluded. They've definitely succumbed to the tourist crawl over the past few years. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially if you want decent amenities and a top nightlife. Meanwhile, nearby Folegandros is supposed to be great if you're looking for a more "authentic" Greek island experience. All of those islands are part of the Cyclades, the better-known island group in the Aegean. I'd mix some of the touristy with some of the secluded, personally. That's how I tend to enjoy my vacations.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    much more than that, but only about 50 are easily accessible to tourists.

an english friend who was a tourist guide in greece for years used to love hydra. it's really easy to get from from athens, car free and small enough to get around by yourself. the secret is not necessarily finding the secluded island (all the best known ones are chockablock in summer) but finding the secluded spots that any island has, even corfu or santorini. another good tip: go in february or march if possible. no need to wait for summer; it's always summer there! and you'll beat the crowds to some extent.

13. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Patmos.

14. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Magnificent landscape.

15. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    Why Santorini Island is my favourite spot on the planet:-

1. Villages made up of cobblestone streets, lovely white houses, and blue domed Greek Orthodox Churches.

2. Spectacular cliffs descending into the beautuiful Aegean Sea below.

3. Magnificent sunsets that are difficult to match elsewhere in the world. Watching the sky turn orange to red to pink is absolutely breathtaking.

I own a small villa there and my wife and I are going to settle down there this summer. It will be a dream come true!

16. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa8q_FsZGkM"]YouTube - Santorini in 2 days![/ame]