Greatest Players in English Football History

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Gregoriak, Sep 19, 2017.

1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #26 carlito86, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Is there a marked difference between Sir Bobby Charlton and Frank lampard at club level
    I think maybe Charlton was more versatile but in his primary role/function as a attacking midfielder they are equivalent IMO

Charlton was probably/arguably the 2nd best player in the world behind Eusebio in 66(beckenbaur?) and George best in 1968(dzajic?)

Lampard was probably if not definitely the second best player in the world in 2005 behind Ronaldinho
    Most would have an even split between ronaldinho in his prime and George best in his prime

Does the story of Bobby Charlton as a survivor of the Munich air crash (the back story to the 1968 EC)
    Playing an integral role in first ever EC won by an English side enhance the legacy of Charlton

I mean if you are just being blindly objective
    And comparing goals,technical attributes,trophies,longevity then is Bobby Charlton so obviously better than Frank Lampard at club level?

Technically I happen to feel lampard was a bit more nimble in tight spaces even if Sir Bobby Charlton was clearly a better runner/dribbler in open spaces
    perhaps also more gifted athletically?

I accept Lampard will never attain the iconic status of Charlton or Moore
    But that's not really What I'm asking

As an attacking midfielder and
    on his best ever day was Bobby Charlton a clear notch above Frank lampard on his best ever day?