Greatest MLS game to Date (R)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by nick, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Tape??

Sorry to be obvious, but did anyone actually tape the game on VHS or DVD?

I can stream from Yahoo I suppose but I'd rather have it captured somewhere....

2. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's one helluva an article.

And I agree with da Bruce and Grant. I haven't seen them all, but it's the greatest I've ever seen.

Also, Bruce gives a damning indictment of how the league is set up...and I'd have to agree with every word. (Particularly the part about making the 30 game season a farce.)

4. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What liver? I shat mine out in 1992...

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an image!

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic; it was simply an olive branch.

Shouldn't have been hateful.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Wahl's is even more in depth and dramatic, and out on a limb. Great stuff.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce Arena is RIGHT again.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wahl's article was great, as usual, but I still think Burn Fire '99 is #1 (wonder if he and/or Bruce 80% Arena saw it) and I personally don't think this reaches the epic collapse of the Oilers in the playoff game vs. Buffalo.

10. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    While I don't it was the greatest game. Its tough to call it a great game after watching the 1st MLS Championship dwindle into the last 20 minutes then watch come back for the championship... particularly emphisizing this was the big game.

You can, however, without a doubt say that it was the biggest comeback in MLS history.

Though it sound like LA must have been sloppy on defense to give up so many goals. I truely give credit to San Jose not only did they play with heart, but they really played a great game. Every one other those goals where well deserved and not simple defensive blunders. Excellent football.

Too bad for Galaxians they were the victim in both matches.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and Bruce should've seen it, since it was on ESPN or ESPN2.

Some Fire fans are still bitter at Phil Schoen for actually showing some excitement as Messrs. Deering, Rodriguez, and Graziani electrified the Cotton Bowl crowd.

12. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being hateful, just sarcastic...

13. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Damn shame, I say! :D

Whoever said that now that we have 8 years of history making this much more meaningful is right. Now we have 8 years of memorable moments, bad calls costing games, hacks and classless acts, playoff & open cup ending losses, golden goal MLS Cup wins, famous dives and divers, Ex LA'ers Mullan & Waibel battling their old teammates, players fighting off the pitch. In sort all kinds of good stuff that tremendously helps the fans react emotionally to the game.

This was incredibly intense game from the start with a storybook finish. I took a friend to the game who said he hadn't gone to a game since the first couple years. Afterward, I told him I sure as hell hoped he liked it because it didn't get any better than this (he did enjoy it and will be back, I'm sure).