Greatest Game in MLS history! DC-NE [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Nov 6, 2004.

1. j.r.'s mom

j.r.'s mom New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Carrollton, Texas
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

I know what you mean. I kept hollering and the dog kept running over to make sure I was okay. ;)

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Just getting back from the game, one of the best soccer games Ive ever watched but I felt like I could not breathe after regulation until we won.

The crowd was amazing tonight and Im glad to say I was there to witness/be a part of La Barra Brava rocking RFK for one last time.

3. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I haven't seen tonight's game, but I would have to say that last years Black Sunday was a gift from the heavens in that it was just an incredible sporting event. I appreciated it for that, but it was so traumatic that it literally took me 2 weeks to recover. I'm not kidding.

My girlfriend likes to go to 2 games a year. She's still traumatized by last year's loss and only went to a game late season b/c I forced her.

How clutch was it that Freddinho frickin' came through w/ a pk when all these respectable pros struggled!

4. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: DC-NE (r)

Given that KC lost to SJ last season in arguably one of the top 10 games of all-time, me thinks we gots ourselves a nice story-line for the finale. KC's loss permanently cemented SJ '03 as a team of destiny.

P.S.: all ye SJ punks, are you going to neg rep me again for telling it like it is? :rolleyes: Or why don't you try analyzing the totality of what I say, mkay...

5. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I was PISSED! the Yahoo stream on MLS net wasnt working. I dont know if it was my internet connection, or what? and to make things worse, the English Audio wasnt working either. (spanish ironically did work)

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC

I was there and it was electric. The crowd, all 21,000 plus, were into the game, and screaming, chanting, singing throughout the game. In overtime everyone was on their feet for thirty minutes. The ebb and flow of the game, with DC going ahead and NE valiantly coming back, and the incredible torture of penalty kicks, resulted in absolute rapture for DC fans. We few, we happy few who were there will remember this day. I just watched the tape and it doesn't do justice to the atmosphere at the stadium. DC players were absolutely spent -- Moreno seemed injured, Olsen ran himself ragged. They hung together and pulled it out. NE had their chances and it could just as easily gone their way. With the crowd against them, NE really put in a gutsy performance (but the ref sucked, at least to this DC homer). I was at MLS Cup '97 in the rain when RFK was sold out and DC won. That was special -- 55,000 fans that braved absolutely crappy weather to see their team win the championship. This was a close second.

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history!

I'd say this would be a great start. MLS Cup I should be added, too.

8. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD

The atmosphere was phenomenal. Check out the link at the bottom of my post for discussion on what it was like around the stadium. Absolutely outstanding stuff. I hope you guys could see the different signs up in the upper deck. I loved it.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149039

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: DC-NE (r)

Neg rep you? :confused:

-G

10. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US

The only problem with wanting the game on ESPN is both ESPN and ESPN2 were loaded with college football games. Fall weekends are really horrible times to try to have playoffs on television with all of the college and NFL football games on. I say we be glad that FSW and HDNet have it on the tele at all right now. That being said, it would've been an amazing game for the nation to see. I wonder if MLS could get these games on Friday nights so there is less competition.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like I missed an amazing match today, but not from lack of effort.

Of course it wouldn't be on live TV over here "down under", but my attempts to try to watch or listen to it through a link on MLSnet failed miserably. So I was stuck with just the matchtracker.

If anyone has a copy of it on a DVD-R and wouldn't mind sending one to me overseas, send me a PM, and we'll work something out. :)

12. Charles

Charles Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Idaho
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, at least you're not like me, I set the VCR for 2 hours, and so I have the whole thing, to the end of regulation, and only about 2 mins into overtime! So I'm looking for a tape of the whole thing now, too---What an incredible match, I had chills watching from the first few mins as both teams were running at each other end to end.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it was as good as almost any Euro game.It was well played, very intense and physical, but not dirty.The goals were of a very high quality too. Fantastic game.

14. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004

Yep I had the same problems here and was cursing my computer. The only way I could find out what was going on was from here and it was taking forever for it to refresh. Since I now live in England, I was up until 3am for the conclusion of that match.

15. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bummed about the Revs losing, but it was the best MLS game I've ever seen (granted I've missed some of the great ones over the last five years while on deployment).

All of the players who played the full 120 minutes were totally exhausted at the end. TnT had several opportunities in OT that he normally would have blasted, but he was totally spent. Moreno, Dempsey, Eski, and Joseph lost their legs and were running on fumes by the second OT.

This was all due to PASSIONATE play!

As hockey fans know, "playoff hockey" is way different than hockey in the regular season. This was "playoff soccer" at it's finest.

BRAVO

16. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ranks among my 10 or so best-everything you want from a semi-final. My wife-who's not really a fan but sometimes goes to games with me-was dying to pee at the 25th minute of extratime, but decided to hold it until the whistle.

Now that's, hooking the casual fan :)

Kudos to the crowd-fantastic atmosphere.

17. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD

FWIW, ESPN2 did have the USWNT v Denmark exhibition game on Saturday (right in the middle of all that great football). For the most part, we know that ESPN is always going to have football as the top priority, so the best thing for all you fans out there is to get FSW. They should be rewarded for providing us with such great coverage (even with the stupid habit of calling games from their LA studios).

Meanwhile, I was at THE GAME. WOW!!! I'll admit, it did seem quiter, at times, compared to the last game against New Jersey, but that's because of the opponent. NE didn't really let the fans affect them. What the primarily boisterous bouncing crowd did do was keep the DC players going. There was a moment in overtime or during PKs that almost the entire east(?) side of the stands were bouncing. I mean, the bouncing meter was off the scales!

When was the last time, there have been so many beautiful goals in one game? NE's CK header was the least attractive, but it was still great. Even the PK in regulation bounced off Rimando, hit the post, and bounced off Rimando again.

The Blackout theme from the DC offices was a great idea. Very nice visual.

One more thing... when it's your team, overtime and especially PKs is just damn stressfull. I like my bonus footage on DVDs.

18. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to the DISH on-screen schedule, FSW, 2:00 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 12th.

I've set my PVR to record it, and this time have given it a 5 hour window to capture rather than the 2 hours that my original attempt grabbed. That's the problem with setting up based on the time blocks on the schedule.

As to what it was like at RFK...

Maybe it's the effect of passing years on memory, but this one, for me, topped the '97 title game at RFK. Two reasons: the call and response nature of the attacks and 21,101 screaming, chanting, singing, praying black-clad fans. My legs are still weary from standing, and I was on the 'quiet' side.

What is making our sport special are the supporters groups, not just ours in DC, but those around the league. They are US soccer's 12th man.

As a newbie in a row behind me remarked to his friends, "This is better than a Redskins game!" I'm sure that the atmosphere in the stadium was a factor in this.

19. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen all the games mentioned as the greatest. I can't decide between this one and last years SJ-LA game. Maybe my memory of the others has faded with the years. I can say this one was incredible. I was screaming out loud after some of the goals. I kept thinking that it would be great of this had been the final and was being broadcast on ABC.
    I loved the enthusiasm of the fans. I can't imagine ever attending a match at CCS with that kind of crowd energy for nearly the entire game.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible game! Incredible atmosphere! Quality goals. There was nothing missing from this game. I'm so glad our neighbors were patient with us. "Oh, they're watching a soccer game...again."

21. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    As I watched depressed LA wouldn't be in the final and I have tickets I was thrilled to see such a quality match for the Eastern conf. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire game. The DC fans did a great job of adding to the atmosphere.....what I enjoyed most about the game was the end to end play, nice combo passing, great saves, and quality finishes. If only every regular season game could mean so much maybe we wouldn't get so many blase games and get more fan support in other cities......After watching EPL all morning and then this game I would say that this was as close a game in quality and intensity to a European league game as I've ever seen in MLS..... NE has played really well the past month as they fought for every game or they would go home. Great job to all the players and fans!

One other thing it was beatiful to see a stadium without football lines....can't wait till every team has its own stadium. Hope the game next week will be top quality as well.

22. ED Fajardo

ED Fajardo New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Fairfax,VA
    I was at the game and was impressed by the number of people that went. The tix lines were so huge that I doubt all got in before the start of the second half. The atmosphere was festive, much like a WC game. I was in section 307, and it was packed! It just too bad that a baseball team is moving in and befouling our pitch!

23. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United

It was 97
    96 was played in Boston

24. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    there were approx 57,000 for the 1997 game, unfortunatley I was not one of them but I did watch it live in a pub nr DC and that for me was one of the best soccer games I've ever seen here in the US. Last nights game was brilliant too and I was hoping that it'd be decided before the PKs but it all worked out. The stadium atmosphere was great. it felt like a lot more than 21,000, I would have guessed 25-28K.

25. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    Unless I'm mistaken, the bottom bowl of RFK doesn't hold more than 25K. It wasn't completely full, so the 21K+ is probably right. Although, the DC fans definitely make their presence felt.

I wish I was living in the area for one of those 50K games. That must have been insane.