Greatest Game in MLS history! DC-NE [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Nov 6, 2004.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

DC 3; Revs 3 2 OT (DC wins 4-3 on pk's)

I have supported the league since day one in '96 and I never seen a game like this one. Every goal was quality stuff. Attacking football from end to end for 120 minutes. Great saves. Great tackles. Great atmosphere. Incredible drama. Unending jubilation for DC fans and tremendous heartbreak for Revs fans, but they should be remarkably proud of the effort their team gave tonight. This game defined what MLS has become in the past nine years. DC fans displayed the passion that thousands of us around the nation feel for this game and this league. Greatest game in league history.

P.S. Would love to have a reply from anyone who was actually at the game. What was it like in person? I could not sit down during the pk's and I was in my living room!

2. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    DC-NE (r)

As much as it hurts to see DC advancing, what a game! It's games like these that make me realize why I'm such an Amerisnob.

3. dice50

dice50 New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history!

I agree....I was watching it on my computer and was thinking the same thing. I was screaming at the tops of my lungs. That game set the standard for all other MLS games to come in all categories; level of play on the field, attendance, atmosphere, uniforms, stars on both teams, announcers, tv production, drama, etc........

Two other points I'd like to think about:

Imagine what this could have done for the league if it was on ESPN. I know that if most soccer fans and even alot of general sports fans in general saw this game it would change their minds about MLS. I think it would have been worth it for MLS to pay up to a million dollars to show this game on national tv. This game did, and could have done alot more for the future of the leage.

I did not get to see the SJ vs LA playoff game last year but I bet that one was close to this one in excitement not sure about the rest.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This game was equally comparable to last year's SJ-KC playoff game, which while ending with less goals than today's game, at least ended with a dramatic double-overtime golden goal rather than with PK's.

Last year's SJ-LA game was a bit more sloppy on the field, but the massive comeback and the intensity between two bitter archrivals certainly made up for it.

-G

5. 10 fan

10 fan New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    United States

The first half the the Greatest Half in MLS history, but I don't think the game was the best ever in this league. Parts of the second half got very sloppy and the crowd sort of lost interest for awhile.

It was very fun to watch, but I don't think it was the best game ever.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Agreed. The only game I ever watched as entertaining as tonight's was the SJ-LA comeback game. Watching that game still gives me chills, and I really didn't care who won.

I also liked the MLS Cup in the rain at RFK. I just had a brain cramp and forgot if that was '96 or '97. Eddie Pope headed goal to win the cup in an absolute downpour. Then again I'm a DC fan.

7. seadonkey

seadonkey Member

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas

oh sure rain on everybodys' parade! now my life is half-way not a meaningful because of you!

8. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The good news for MLS in this match IMHO is that the fans made the difference. DC scored against the run of play while the Revs played out of their minds soccer for 120 minutes. In the end it was the deafening support for the home team that made the difference

9. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chicago - Dallas (1999) forgot score.
    San Jose- Los Angeles (2003) (game 2) 5-2
    San Jose - MetroStars (2004) 5-5
    DC United- NE (2004 east final) 4-3 pen.

feel free to ad to the list.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...1-2004Nov6.html

This Washington Post story says this was the first MLS game ever decided by real PK's. Is that right?

Can the greatest game in MLS history be decided by PK's? I preferred the LA-SJ comeback.

11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Re: DC-NE (r)

this is one of those games that MLS prays for in getting the casual fan to become an MLS fan.
    Even if you are not partial to either team you had to have loved this game.

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

October 27, 1999 - Dallas Burn 3-2 Chicago Fire

...but nice try :D

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just returned from the game, and I will tell you this ................ it isn't that the crowd lost interest, but we were all numb from the prospects of losing. I am ABSOLUTELY DONEEEEEEEEEE!!!! What a damn game!

14. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis

i think this is the first game that was decided by traditional penalty kicks and not the shootout pk's MLS had for the first few years.
    Also, isn't this only the first or second year that the conference championship was just one game?
    We certainly haven't had pks in the MLS Cup.

15. dmid

dmid New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    washington, dc

amen.

absolutely incredible (and unbelievably nerve-racking)

16. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002

Let's hope the final is like this.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was '96. :)

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

San Jose - Kansas City (2003 West final) 3-2 [OT]

-G

19. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002

What excuse would a Eurosnob have for this one?

20. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska

MLS Cup I???

21. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit

Like this but without a DC win and no pk's.

22. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004

I have absolutely got to get this game on tape so I can rewatch it at my leisure. I started the tape for FSW at 10:00 hoping they would replay DC-NE instead of replaying KC-LA, since the DC-NE game was much better, but Fox Sports World stuck to the schedule. Does anyone know if this game is going to be replayed at any point? Or is there some way I can get the game online and burn it to DVD? I NEED THIS GAME in my collection of taped classics.

23. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

2nd greatest sporting event I have been to...I will never, ever forget it. I was on the "quiet side" and it was pretty loud. The whole game was instense, I couldn't cheer in the shootout because I was afraid I was going to puke. Freddy Adu running around the field and in front of the Barra Brava an Screaming Eagles without his shirt on and high fiving everybody. There was everything you could ask for in a match and more.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Greatest Game in MLS history! [R]

I don't think anyone on my side of the field sat down after overtime started...

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not much.

A game 95% as good as this one, Dallas-Chicago, Game 3, '99, was on ESPN. It didn't have any dramatic impact on the league.

I don't write this to be a buzzkill. I write this so that people can enjoy this game for what it was, the best match in MLS history. It doesn't have to be anything more than that. Don't ask it to be anything more.