Greatest Ever Quakes Goal

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by iansfavouritecopilot, Sep 6, 2002.

1. modpappy

modpappy New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    That one was the best I've ever seen, and I've never missed a game--I had to catch my breath before I could cheer , it was THAT GOOD....definitely had the "long shot" quality, plus the way it came off a volley was a thing of beauty....and as for Gough, I remember a diving header from the top of the box that was awfully good...I still miss King Richard sometimes, especially when the other team has a corner kick...

2. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the greatest ever, but the prettiest this year for sure!

3. modpappy

modpappy New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Woah almost forgot Missael Espinoza's goal from the midway line on the kickoff---chipped the keeper, and for a while it was the fastest goal recorded in a match---scored in just a couple of seconds from the whistle....don't know if it's still the fastest anymore, but it was great--if I remember right the keeper was still doing an opening prayer when Missael hit it...

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    George Best dribbling through five players to score for the old Quakes ranks up there as does Ekelunds 30 yard blast against the crew and Graziani's no angle smash into the upper right hand corner against dallas(?) BTW, goal of the year for Ekelund on that cracker!

5. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Ekelunds was at least 30yds.

Donovan flick to Lagos is my fav.

Anyone remember the Baicher diving header.....that should rank up there right?

6. Big Mama Zella

Big Mama Zella New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Vacaville
    For pure beauty: Ekelund v. Crew. For drama/meaningfulness: Wynalda vs. D.C. Georgie Best's dribble/goal was great, but that was a different team.

7. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    That Baicher header was against Washington on the road , it was quite delightful . Actually I remember Sequeira's resemblance of a bicycle kick at home , I think the only one in Clakes history , if you do not count 50 "Chilenas" Yves scored in warmups once, but had to leave before the game to rescue kittens from the fire in Stockton.

8. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I have to admit , that in June we left Northern California , so there was no chance of seeing Ekelund's goal . MLSNet does not have it on , does anyone know of a site where it can be seen , or can someone download it here ? Thanks in advance for help .

9. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    See now...this story has gotten so big the goal's being attributed to the wrong person. The goal (which was scored at Spartan, by the way) was scored by former Scotland international Willie Johnston of Vancouver Whitecaps -- a hard-drinking man so infamous he even drank his way off Scotland's national team.

Now the goal vs. Fort Lauderdale is a cracker...and available on video I believe through the BS Shop (I think that's where I ordered mine)...on a compilation of NASL Goals of the Year.

For current vintage...I seem to recall a ripper from Jorge Rodas in 1996 on a free kick from about 35, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you when or against whom.

10. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Spartacus , it was against Lalas' NE , in 6-1 romp , from the left of the goal .

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you got that straightened out Spart. It's assuming the role of urban legend. Glad to hear that Willie Johnston held up the reputation of Scots drinkers. From an English friend of mine: "Whisky is good for what ails ya. Ever see a Scotsman with a cold?"

12. AntiAngel121

AntiAngel121 New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Bay Area (California)
    [deleted by moderator]

13. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    If I'd care , I would inquire regarding the identity of the aforementioned " Orlando" .

14. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manny's header off the rainbow feed from Donovan vs Tampa Bay.
    Graziani's impossible angle laser v Dallas on 8/21/02.
    Ekelund's cracker volley v Crew on 9/07/02
    Donovan's goal vs the Crew in the playoffs last year (the one everyone has mentioned)
    The Cerritos flick to Donovan last year.
    Dayak's OT header vs Miami in 2001
    Dayak's opening game 2001 header vs LA "I'm Baacckk"

All great ones. One more to add to the list:

Don't remember the year or all the details - Eddie Lewis had a beautiful one that was even up for goal of the year back when the Clash/Quakes had nothing. Dribbled down the left flank, turned his defender around and cracked it from about 25 yds out with his left foot.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this goal in person. If I had to vote between NASL Quakes and MLS Quakes, this would be my vote for the best goal.

Note: I didn't like Best before coming to the Quakes, but in watching him play a short time with the Quakes, the man was probably the most talented player I have ever seen. He made soccer look easy. I can't imagine what he would have been like when in shape...

16. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Ive seen the Troy Dayak vs. Miami goal, pretty special.
    The Donovan chip to manny was awesome too, and DeRo's in the final.
    I totally wanna see Ekelunds volley and the Graz tight-angle goal, but the video thing on MLSnet doesnt work on my computer at all. I got the Stoitchkov free-kick a few weeks ago on my friends computer, and he has WinXP like me. Ive got Quicktime and WinMedia player, but I dont get a response when I click the links.
    Any help?
    *Ian* x

17. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara

Yea, get a Mac....

18. iansfavouritecopilot

Jun 21, 2002
    Hartlepool, UK
    Well your just a bundle of help

Your like pure, concentrated help

I bet when your cut, you bleed help

Your favourite Beatles song is 'Help'

19. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was June 3rd, 1999 at Spartan Stadium against the Colorado Rapids. Beat two defenders with a back-heel to himself.

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/press_box/1028release99.htm

20. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Actually, this was against Chicago at home - the home opener of the 1999(?) season. There may have been other diving headers, but this one was the one that was replayed on one of the old TV spots. It was on a cross from Bower on the counterattack in the waning minutes, and Baicher laid himself out flat horizontal on a sprint to bury it. I remember the goal because we were three goals down and it redeemed the evening...

21. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    By the way, what ever happened to Baicher? I always felt that he was one of the unfortunates to get jacked by the organizational shortcomings of the league. I would have loved to see him get a few minutes last year and at least a crackerjack replica of the champ ring to honor time served at Gulag San Jose Clash.

22. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Yeah....that one, I remember it was at home. It was sweeeeeeeet.

23. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Chicago, did anyone bring up Ibby's goal in injury time last year in the pouring rain at Chicago?

It was a laser of a shot, from more than 20 years, off a brilliant effort to assist from LD.

It's one of my favorites, for the effort, for the quality of the strike, and for the pure drama.

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Or the late goal vs DCU in DC last season where Russell held the ball for about five seconds and then toe-poked it between two defenders to a sprinting Lagos who collected it and burried it top shelf, near post!

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I thought I heard that after his foray in Kraft-ville he retired back to the Bay Area and is involved in residential real estate.

I could be wrong...