Greatest European footballers In football history

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Oct 24, 2018.

?

Who are your favourite European legends

Poll closed Jul 20, 2021.
  1. Zinedine Zidane

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Marco Van Basten

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Roberto Baggio

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Johan Cruyff

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  5. Cristiano Ronaldo

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. Micheal laudrup

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. Michel Platini

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  8. der Kaiser

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  9. Gerd Muller

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  10. George best

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  11. Dejan savicevic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Xavi Hernandez

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  13. Thierry Henry

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Wheres gazza or Paul Scholes. Both better than dejan savicevic

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

LOL, these clowns don't rate Cruijff as a top 10 player candidate and (predictably) give a lot of the credits Michels.

As can be expected from someone who has also written largely negative sum ups of Neeskens, Krol, Rijkaard, Van Basten ("Klinsmann equally good"), Van der Sar, Robben and the others bar Davids and Bergkamp. In contrast to many other players of other countries they all get huge reservations attached.

Little wonder there is a free license to hack down Holland players whenever they threaten to become too good and dangerous. The forces are strong.

3. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    What bullshit are you talking about again? I just listened to that Podcast and there's no word about him not being a Top 10 candidate. They have so far only examined four players (Pele, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer and Cruyff) and their consensus is that Pele and Di Stefano rank ahead of Cruyff and then comes Beckenbauer of the players so far examined.

Regarding Michels: they said outside of the founding years of football history, Cruyff is the most crucial man in the development of football. They give Michels his due but in no way do they argue that it is Michels' that deserves an equal amount of credit. They are very clear about that, stating Cruyff's Barca in the 1990s being clearly a few steps ahead of anything Michels did come up with tactically.

This is really getting out of hand with your imagined-anti Dutch conspiracy myth that you're spreading around here reliably for years.

Either your German is not adequate and you misheard what they said or you're banking on people in this forum not being able to follow a German-language podcast and thus nobody checking whether the bullshit claims you made about that podcast are actually true.

Here's one quote about Cruyff from that podcast:

Creative genius, physical genius, philosophical genius

And you're still crying?

Buyo repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For starters, you really overlook where Busquets, Xavi, Puskas and Cristiano Ronaldo are placed in the blogs and the podcasts.

This was six years ago:

But you know what: you have won. I'm done here.

I didn't contribute all that much anymore anyway.

I see it as a compliment you can be occasionally bothered to reply my perceived nonsense and not to the nonsense of all the other posters.

5. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Wait, is that guy saying he considered Sergio Busquets a Top 10 Player of All Time???

The depths these football hipsters can go :eek:

6. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020

I know this guy. He is a pseudo-intellectual Barca fan. He is no football analyst or something. His understanding of depths of the game is ridiculously low .
    Also he don't have any understanding of the change in circumstances , landscapes between footballing eras.
    He digs up lot of old seasons and footballers from pasts , but its kind of like general knowledge or overview .It seems he lacks depth and as i said before, he lacks context , understanding of situations etc
    He has other similiar stupid takes

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    One very typical thing about that podcast episode is the repeat of the observation Cruijff had only one dribbling goal on tape in his entire career, the one against lowly MVV in 1981-82 is meant there (the host replies with another dribbling goal against Real Madrid and the halfway line dribble for the penalty in the 1974 final).

This is evidently wrong. It is certainly more than one or two. From 1966 against Feyenoord to 1983 against Liverpool, and the two in the NASL pub league. If people then still think Pelé had more of these conclusions - I don't object or disagree (necessarily).

Now, everyone makes factual mistakes, but this was already pointed out by some other comments before, when on the blog the same claim was made about "one dribbling goal".

https://footballarguments.wordpress.com/2016/08/30/team-of-the-decade-1970-1980/
    (comment bottom of the page)

Many things are open to interpretation, perception and opinions but this is evidently incorrect, and the news had been transmitted.

8. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A nice informative documentary posted recently

9. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Personally, I rate Zidane ahead of Cruyff.
    Cristiano and Zidane are a similar tier, difference being that the former has better longevity, and the latter more ability and a better Euro campaign.

10. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #736 carlito86, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    The ability to pull off passes like this

2:35

0:50

Etc................................

The ability to score all manner of goals on all manner of stages ?

The ability to complete 700~ dribbles in the league and champions league by the time he was 24 years old?

The ability to score 30 direct freekicks in his career by the time he was 26 years old?
    https://messivsronaldoera.com/messi-vs-ronaldo-free-kick-goals/

The ability to average 2 goals+assists per 90 across a whole calender year playing in a top 5 European league?
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/spi...usrichtung=alle&spielerposition_id=alle&art=2

The ability to score as many goals with his left foot(130) as zidane(roughly)scored in his entire career?

You never specified what ability was so im just brainstorming here

Or maybe you meant the ability to go missing for 2/3 of every league campaign between 1997-2006 except for 2000/01?

Zidane was a real great player (top 40 all time)
    Same range as ruud gullit/lothar matthues/rivaldo for me

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I've listened to the whole stuff again and this is nasty (typical southern German - no wonder narrow minded Polish strikers/people are a good fit there).

This is how the host ranked it; it is not how the guest, the Lukas Tank guy placed it, who then also made a few other claims (most obviously the verifiable claim of "one dribbling goal", as mentioned above, an error that had been pointed out before - many things are open to interpretation and subjectivity but this is not). Actually the host himself - who made this ordering - instantly memorized a Real Madrid dribbling goal and then also the halfway line dribble at the World Cup final.

Alright, this is generally true, although Michels is by the guest placed down as the originator. They could have pointed out Michels won very little (or "near wins") without the other. But fair enough, it's no difference with the domestic takes.

One peculiarity is here the dominant foreign stereotype - it's always at the background in the observers mind but only gets attached to the actual results when things go spectacularly wrong, and not when it goes reasonably well or very well, when on paper stronger teams are beaten (then it's solely because of the manager, not because of real-or-not player input or 'player democracy').

In the early years (long before I was here) you were frequently arguing against them. This was when the stock of these players and then-retired players was much higher. This pattern hasn't gone away.

These sort of ideas have infiltrated things as the Ballon d'Or dream team and the '100 best players of the 21st century' with no player among the best 35 (well below all other second tier footballing countries, and e.g. England making the top 20 with more than one).

The UEFA clearly has been actively plotting for marginalization with their Conference League nonsense as new ploy - and there is also now a history of world class players getting recklessly hacked down and then your Basile Boli, ankle breaking Chiellini, Diaby or Pickford receive nothing, not even a yellow. No retroactive punishment (which has happened in other cases and will happen if it is Neymar or Harry Kane).

It is more like you as original detractor is crying. See also your zero reps/likes in the thread when he died compared to when Maradona went away.

12. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    This is what you claimed.
    That was wrong. They never said that.

I don't care for these guys and their podcast, but it must be pointed out that they never made such an outlandish claim.

You can focus on dozens other things (Maradona's deaths, Cruyff's death, Ballon d'Or, more than one JC dribble goal) but even after re-watching that podcast you cannot stand by your claim that they didn't rate Cruyff as a top 10 player candidate. That's a claim no self-respecting football podcast guy would ever make yet you claimed they did and that had to be corrected.

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Gregoriak and Buyo repped this.
  14. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Peak Eusebio
    1963/64 - 1967/68

22 years old - 26 years old

GOAT level goalscorer,world class dribbler,world class final third creator GOAT level ball carrier threat and a shot monster(arguably the most prolific and dangerous shot taker in history with 11 shots per game in WC 1966)

Just a complete devastating attacker
    One of the top 5 forwards of all time with Pele,Cristiano,Messi and puskas

5th place ballon dor

4th place ballon dor

1st place ballon dor

2nd place ballon dor (1 point behind Charlton who benefited most likely from the world cup winners medal bonus)

5th place ballon dor

8th place ballon dor

Stats overall (club only)

223 goals in 160 appearances
    1.39 gpg

Stats in the European cup(64-68)

30 goals in 30 appearances:1 gpg

Portuguese primera division
    154 league goals in 112 appearances:
    1.38 gpg

Portuguese cup
    39 goals in 20 cup appearances
    1.95 gpg

During his peak he scored at over 1 gpg in the world cup (66),the European cup,the Portuguese primera division and the Portuguese cup

Gregoriak repped this.
  15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #741 carlito86, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    Bayern Munich all time great
    Bundesliga all time great
    World cup all time great
    Netherlands all time great
    European all time great
    He is the one and only arjen robben
    He excelled at all levels and in the process left an indelible mark on football history
    rB8CLF4WkhiASY0LAAGIh85mryc789.jpg-1.jpg

The difference between a neymar/figo/rivaldo compared to robben is something like this for me

Screenshot_20210605-064432-1.jpg

This is perceived 'failure'
    The year after he wasn't to be denied and that final vs dortmund was the catalyst for one of the best ever peaks in football history
    WC 2014 + bundesliga 14/15

There isn't a better sight in world football than peak robben running at full pelt with the ball glued to his foot and slaloming his way past multiple challengers

This is from one calender year worth of performances. Just a complete different level

Gregoriak repped this.
  16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  18. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #744 carlito86, Aug 27, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021

SIR Alex Ferguson's son returns to where it all begun after 13 years of tormenting defences across Europe

His career path is probably as good as any oscar winning movie
    For English football to have a player of this level is incredible
    Speechless really:)

19. forero93

forero93 New Member

Alianza Lima
    Peru
    Oct 6, 2021
    George Best es un crack

por cierto gran post, a mi que me gusta el futbol me he creado en el PES2016 varios jugadores de las generaciones pasadas y la actual las promesas toda esta informacion me sirve para seguir creando :cool:

20. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gregoriak repped this.
  21. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #748 carlito86, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021

This was posted less then 2 weeks ago.
    Pre injury i think he was on track to being a top 5 player of his generation alongside R9,Zidane,Figo and Rivaldo

Instead he is looked back on less fondly then Raul,shevchenco and arguably even nedved who were a step below in talent IMO

I wouldn't put him in the same class as R9 in terms of being one of footballs greatest what ifs but he reached a level in 1997/98 that arguably Baggio didn't reach

The UEFA never is or never was the same as the CL and del pieros exploits in the 97/98 edition were possibly the greatest of the entire 90s decade

Gregoriak repped this.
  23. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #749 carlito86, Dec 26, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    A 'rare' espn classic documentary of Marco van basten

I find this to be much better then the footballs greatest equivalent released by sky sports in 2009

Tonnes of match footage here

Gregoriak and Danko repped this.
  24. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #750 carlito86, Mar 13, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2022

You don't beat Johan Cruyff and Franz beckenbaur to a ballon dor in a non world cup year without being anything less then remarkable

When you talk about real cases of great players being underrated with the passage of time oleh blokhin is at the very top of that list

Harms is a very underrated YouTube channel BTW
    The comps on George best and Ruud gullit are exceptional but for me this one takes the cake.

markcarrick, harms and Gregoriak repped this.