Great Video

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Chess_Panther, May 7, 2011.

1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Here's a video set up by Estoril Conference to show the reasons why the fins should help our country financially. It's filled with sarcasm but equally interesting facts that I'm pretty sure the rest of the world knows shit about.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGdrIjm-PqQ"]YouTube - What the Finns need to know about Portugal[/ame]

2. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I agree, great video.

Love how it ends.

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's a pitiful video.

I love Portugal as much as anyone here, but this is not only patronizing (reeks of "my dad can beat up your dad) but the help in 1940 has already been discussed in Finnish media long before this came out. Also, the "True Finns" do not speak for the Finnish and are actually seen as extremist by most Finns.

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Haha, we never won the Eurovision Song contest. :D

I think i watched it a few times as a kid and everyone was singing in English expect the portuguese. :cool:

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    It's a "tongue in the cheek" video. I don't take it seriously to be honest and I don't think even the producers of the video themselves. There are a few trivia there like "most world titles in a sport that is played nowhere else in the world" or we "eat the whole pig" that depict that.

As for the finns, I couldn't care less about them, they will pay. What upsets me the most is that PEC4 is no that much different from IMF proposal, which in turn is making people seriously considering to re-elect Sócrates (payback is a bitch). On the other side, I believe that even if the opposition approved PEC4 the german, french and british pressure would get the best of our government. The whole of Europe is paying for their banks and being dragged along, when Portugal seems to be very capable of handling this by ourselves.

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It's sad to think of how rich our history was and to look at our country now :(

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Most of it is tongue-in-cheek but that's just a prelude for the final seconds, which are the whole point of the video.

As for Sócrates, there's no other politician from the candidates that I'd rather have in the negotiations. You can see it from the debates, Passos Coelho thrown into the wolves from the start would be eaten alive. BE, CDU and PP are just demagogues full of cheap talk (easy when you won't have to deliver).

This first deal is just a prelude, the big one is going to come when the debt restructuring eventually comes (which it will). That will be the crucial moment. Do it properly and we may recover fast (like Russia in 1998) and mess it up and we could be in for rougher times than many imagine, Argentina-style. It's really, really bad that we are dealing with this with a provisional government. Anything discussed so far will be met with "How can we be sure the next government will accept our deal?" and so we aren't in any position to get a good deal at the moment.