Great Quotes in football

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Johan Cryuff lamenting Holland's elimination at EURO 2000 by Italy:

"Italy cannot beat you, but you can lose to Italy".

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cryuff is a sore loser. He just can't stand losing to Italian teams.

Here's a Paolo Rossi quote about Holland at the 1978 World Cup:

"The Dutch change positions quicker than you can make a cup of coffee."

3. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I submit for your approval Ray Hudson:

"Without penetration, it's just masturbation, and right now, we're playing with ourselves." - DC United head coach Ray Hudson, discussing his team's inability to score goals.

"This isn't a scientific thing…sometimes you just need a little luck…unfortunately, Lady Luck keeps showing us her big, ugly ass." - Hudson, right after DC tied at home for the third consecutive game.

"He's a competitor. . . . He'd stab his grandmother in the eyes just for another bowl of porridge." - Ray Hudson, describing the sometimes questionable style of play from Dema Kovalenko.

"A blind man on a galloping horse can see his talent. He’s a little Faberge egg." Ray Hudson, on Freddy Adu

"We had just strung like 17 passes together, beautiful silky soccer, and I turn around and see a guy yawning in the crowd. I wanted to jump over the fence and head-butt him." Ray Hudson

"I'm higher than a hippie at Woodstock" -Ray Hudson

- I am sure ther even better ones than that.

4. utellme

utellme New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    10 out freaking ten Pints!!!
    Hysterical,passionate and ballz out.
    Hudson always tells it like we all feel it...always has.
    There are hundreds of others I know because people always bring up their own favorites when he is calling games on Goltv.
    There was a real impressive list of "Hudson-isms" somewhere on here.
    Great stuff.

5. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Another from Cloughie, this one his first speech to the Leeds players having just been appointed manager.

"Gentlemen, the first thing you can do for me is throw your medals and your pots and pans in the dustbin because you've never won anything fairly. You've done it by cheating."

He lasted 44 days in the job.

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Anyone have the quote of Johann Cruyuff, talking about playing the English?

7. DerMongerer

DerMongerer Member

Jun 5, 2004
    "Just hearing the name Real Madrid make me want to vomit." - Tempermental FC Barcelona legend Hristo Stoitchkov

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    The more time you have, the more mistakes you wil make. - Ruud Gullit
    Football is simple, trainers shouldn't make it so complicated. - Johan Cruijff
    Football is simple, but the hardest thing to do, is playing simple football. - Johan Cruijff
    Football is simple(I'm sure you didn't see that one coming). You are in time or too late. When you are too late, you should start sooner. - Johan Cruijff

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are all right though. From the lowest youth ranks to the highest levels, there are always a great number of players who complicate the game.

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Ofcourse they are right! Who am I to argue with El Salvador?:D

11. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Journalist asks coach Berti Vogts what he thinks of players having sex before the game. Berti: "I don't mind it before the game, but I won't tolerate any of it during half time break".

12. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    The one about the Germans midfield is also great. "They(don't remember what team) will try to hit anything that moves, so our midfield should be safe."

Brilliant. :D

13. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

McBerti absoloute legend.

14. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some LFC Quotes...

"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

"Of course I didn't take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present, it was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazilian great Dirceu, about his time playing in Mexico: 'I would pass them a ball, and they'd return me a watermelon.'

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The great Johannes....

17. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A few more I found from the great Brian Clough:

on Roy Keane:
    "I get sick and tired of hearing how much running Keane does. He has had more than enough rest through suspensions alone. He's had more holidays than Judith Chalmers."

Reply to Peter Withe asking if he could keep the match ball after scoring four goals in a game:
    "Learn to play first, then you can have as many match balls as you like."

On Jimmy Hill:
    "If he can find a ground where he scored a league goal, I'll meet him there."

About Trevor Brooking:
    "Floats like a butterfly and stings like one too."

On agents:
    "If a player had said to Bill Shankly 'I've got to speak to my agent', Bill would have hit him. And I would have held him while he hit him."

About his former assistant Peter Taylor
    "We pass each other on the A52 going to work on most days of the week. But if his car broke down and I saw him thumbing a lift, I wouldn't pick him up, I'd run him over."
    -- Clough would later feel tremendous regret that he never patched up his relationship with Taylor, suggesting that he should've asked his former assistant at Derby and Forest to walk out with him as Forest entered Wembley for the 1991 FA Cup final. Taylor died the following year.

On himself
    "They say Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job."

About the river Trent:
    "The river Trent is lovely. I know because I have walked on it for 18 years."

On hearing of plans for a statue in his honour in Derby:
    "The pigeons in Derby will welcome the news. There'll be more room on my head to shit on than anyone else."

18. SwandelPark

SwandelPark New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    i cant remember the exact quote but its something like this:

Bill Shankly to ground steward(who was stepping on a LFC scarf)
    "Get of foot off that scarf,thats someones life your standing on"

does anyone have the exact quote?"

19. Erkan

Erkan New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Istanbul-Turkey
    :D That's my favourite.

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Has anybody placed any quote's on Wenger?

"No. I didn't see that."

He would have a more in depth version of that but seriously, Wenger is becoming the Sgt Schultz of the 21st Century.

21. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "'Football is only a game.' That is the most outrageous nonsense of the lot. Football is a science, it's an art, it is war, ballet, drama, terror, and joy all rolled into one."
    --Tom Utley The Daily Telegraph

22. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "To think of football as merely 22 hirelings kicking a ball is merely to say that a violin is wood and cat-guy, Hamlet so much ink and paper. It is conflict and art."--J.B. Priestley

23. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "In Latin America the border between soccer and politics is vague. There is a long list of governments that have fallen or been overthrown after the defeat of the national team." ~Luis Suarez

24. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles uuutrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland! Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana. Vi har slått dem alle sammen, vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, Jeg har et budskap til deg midt under valgkampen: Vi har slått England ut av Verdensmesterskapet i fotball. Maggie Thatcher. Som de sier på ditt språk i boksebarene rundt Madison Square Garden: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

-- excitable Norwegian commentator Bjørge Lillelien after Norway beat England 2-1 in a World Cup Qualifier in 1981, the first time the Norwegians had ever won a game against us.

25. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nearly everything possible had been done to spoil the game: the heavy financial interest; the absurd transfer and player-selling system; the lack of any birth or residential qualifications; the absurd publicity given to every feature of it by the press; the monstrous partisanships of the crowds.
    - JB Priestley, writing in 1933