Great players on dead end national teams

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by wufc, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He at least played a WC in 94...

2. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    You forgot Etoo .....good list tho

3. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    what about Balboa from Equatorial Guinea, playing for Real Madrid.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Real Madrid is not a "national" team...;)

5. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    well so did, gonzalez, cha bum-kun, yorke, and peña

6. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I deleted some of the names that I disagreed. Those players played for countries with some chance of qualifying for a WC Finals. Some of them actually played in a WC Finals.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's right...!!

8. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    What are you talking about? Egypt has a great national team.

9. Glavisted Big Soccer

Sep 24, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I think Eto'o definitely don't have a dead end national team.

He's Spanish, only have Ecuatorial Guinean ancestry.

10. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    Another one:
    Ali Al-Habsi-Oman

11. Perry Digweed

Perry Digweed New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Ok-here's three with a twist. Mark Lawrenson, David O'Leary (Ireland) and Ryan Giggs (Wales). Twist is all were eligible to play for England.

12. solost22

solost22 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you're responding to a comment made a year ago. The coment that you quoted was in response to someone who claims that Egypt is a solid national team b/c they won the African Nations Cup. Congrats to them for winning the cup but they don't have much of a chance this coming ANC.

Greece won the last European Cup and they didn't even make the last World Cup. Winning once doesn't make the team a solid team

13. canadianscout

canadianscout New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Owen Hargreaves and Jonathan De Guzman for Canada. As much as I don't want to say it, I must. Our national team is horrible and I have no affiliation with them so I will. Canada's team is so bad these players also pretend to have no national affiliation.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank u. If you hadn't said it, I was about to.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I'd put Carlos Ruiz on that list as well.

Hey, he's scored 23 goals for spunky little Guatemala, the most war savaged of the 80s and early 90s hell that was Central America, a shadow which lingers over everythign Guatemalan to this day, has won Guatemalan trophies with his Guatemalan team, Municipal, as well as being Champion of UNCAF (United Nations of Central American Football), I believe their club championship (2000?). He was a holy terror for the Guatemalan youth teams playing in CONCACAF. Let's not forget he captured MVP of MLS in 2002 and led the Galaxy to their first championship, with the OT goal making him MVP of the Championship as well, so he has "rings" there too as it were. Not to mention he led the league with 24 goals that year.

And he's only 28. While a step slow this year and not as good for the dollar, he still has a year or two left in him to go out and win another Championship somewhere, and be The Man, or the The Man-A doing it. His career ain't over.

Yea, it's Carlos Ruiz, MLS, CONCACAF and everything else, but something in there must constitute the word "great".

15. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Ruiz is up to 35 National Team Goals Now, and he is about to be the new leader in Goals for his NT, He currently is tied With JC plata Now retired.

in MLS he has scored i believe 83+ goals and 16 playoff goals ( All time Leader)

there could be only one Kid that can reach his numbers and thats 21 year old Marvin Avila same country , but thats a wait and see thing

16. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in seeing what will happen with Marvin Avila. From my limited knowledge he seems to be a good player with a lot of potential. I hope he at least makes it out of the Guatemalan league.

He's been mentioned before, Magico Gonzales of El Savlador. Played in the 82 World Cup and got slaughtered by Hungary.

17. azulcremaporvida

Jan 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Edgar Manucharyan.