Great players on dead end national teams

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by wufc, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why in the world would you consider Chile and Colombia dead-end teams?

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think countries that have realistic chance of qualifying for a European Championship or World Cup Finals should be excluded in this list. Seriously, if we want to talk for World Cup contention, we could include countries such as Spain, Cameroon, Nigeria, etc.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The 80s Welsh squad of Southall and Rush also had Mark Hughes! :eek:

4. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I created this thread, I had in minds teams like Grenada, Pakistan, and Macedonia, teams that will NEVER make the World Cup, rather than countries like Wales, Chile, and Egypt, countries that have made the World Cup before and are not crazy to think they can make it now.

One player that I found was Ruel Fox for Montserrat. Montserrat has less than 5,000 people and the national team is always hovering in the 190s, but Ruel Fox played 16 seasons of English football, most of them in the Premier League, and scored 50 goals as a midfielder in his career.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many caps does Ruel Fox have?

I still think Cha Bum-Kun is a valid choice for a great player on a dead-end national team, even though he played in two World Cups, mostly because he was such a huge star while his national team was mediocre at best.

I don't know whether or not Gavin Glinton of Turks & Caicos Islands is a good candidate for inclusion. Turks & Caicos are ranked in the 190s, while Glinton has been in and out of MLS and is one of the top players in USL1. Glinton is not nearly world-class, but he represents a country whose national league features exactly five clubs, all amateur, and in their last World Cup qualifiers, his national team fielded both a 43-year-old midfielder and his 17-year-old son in the same matches.

Consider also Ali Al-Habsi of Oman. He has yet to appear in the Premiership for Bolton, but he was previously considered the best goalkeeper in the Norwegian league. Oman has never been even close to qualifying for the World Cup.

6. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    litmanen - Finland
    chilavert - paraguay
    teofilo cubilllas - peru

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Ditto with Sami Hyypia.

8. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    How is Peru and Paraguay dead end national teams?

9. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frederic Kanoute

Leading scorer in La Liga right now with Sevilla (formerly on the scum). Is a native of Mali.

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Shaun Goater - Bermuda

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Jaaskelainen: Finland

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    So many Finnish players mentioned. Out of ignorance, what's been their main weakness, squadwise? You'd think with they'd have done more since we're all over here mentioning them.

13. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because they all play abroad nowadays, it's too damn cold for them back in Helsinki! ;)

14. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always in a tough group or all the players never played together at their peaks, Finalnd just never had that golden generation.

15. Bresciano23

Bresciano23 New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Land Down Under
    Tim Cahill was tied to Western Samoa up until a couple of years back when they changed the qualification rules. He was born and bred in Sydney but played for Western Samoa, the nationality of his mother, in an u-20 tournament at the age of 14. Someone from FIFA screwed up and told him that it wouldn't effect his Australian eligibility and it took a decade of lobbying FIFA before he debuted for Australia!

16. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

chilavert only went to a few cups.

and it's not like cubillas and his midfield lit up a world cup either.

eto'o has been to two cups already.

if dwight yorke and suazo are mentioned, so should magico (who went to a cup, but was slaughtered.)

17. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    Pascal Feindouno; Bodipo-Guinea
    Colins Mbesuma
    Mwaruwari
    That right back from Benfica

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    How many is enough 3? Paraguay has qualified to various world cups now. They have various quality players.

How is quarterfinals in 1970 for Peru make them a dead end team? Peru was one of the great South American teams of the 70's.

19. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juan Arango-not a "great" player, but real quality. Not going to do much with Venezuela.

20. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Which one? There is former Benfica RB Miguel, who is among the best in the world, Nelson, who is also Portuguese, and Alcides who is brazilian.

21. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Past and present great players I can think of (not mentioned):

Robbie Keane
    Damien Duff
    Ryan Giggs
    Roy Keane
    Ole Gunnar Solskear (or however you spell his name)
    Dwight Yorke

Off the top of my head, but you could be here all day if you listed them all.

22. Nuzzo

Nuzzo Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Bulgaria
    Nelson(he was the one with fancy hairstyle) I heard that he was born in Cape Verde :confused:
    And that guy who sayd Robbie Keane;Roy Keane and Ole Gunnar Solskear...

23. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    He was born there, but has lived in Portugal since he was really young. I think he was naturalized when he was 16.

24. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    An interesting sub thread would be great players who never made it onto their national teams. Although to be fair, they'd probably all be French. Eric Cantona and David Ginola to name but two. Anelka as well.

I suppose you could put Paul Gascoigne into that category as well, poor sod.

25. modibo

modibo New Member

May 13, 2006
    Chicago
    Well, Kanouté was born in France and played in the French U21 squad; his parents were born in Mali. I don't think he'd been to Mali before he started playing for the national team in '04. He was great in the African Nations Cup in 2004 but might not play for Mali again. There were violent riots broke in Bamako after the Eagles lost to Togo in World Cup qualifiers in March '05 (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/03/28/mali_soccer050328.html). He said he had never seen anything like it and was afraid for his life. Not like his experiences playing in France's national youth system. A great player, though - I have his Malian MNT jersey in home and away.

Other Malian players to consider would be Mahamadou Diarra (ex-Lyon, now Real Madrid), Mohammed Sissoko (Valencia, Liverpool), and of course Salif Keita. He played back in the 1960s: 3x champion of France with St. Etienne, also played with Marseille. Apparently Marseille wanted him to become a French citizen, which he refused, so he left for Portugal and then the US. His only success with the national team was reaching the final of the African Nations Cup in '72, but he's an absolute legend in Mali and is the president of the Malian FA now.

Though Mali has made it to the Africa Nations Cup final, they've never made it to the World Cup and aren't likely to soon, so any Malian player could qualify for this distinction if they have a good club career.