Great Onyewu article about his future.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by mtkstriker, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
  2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
  3. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Great stuff, the only thing that makes me wonder is why has Metz never given him at shot? Just curious?

4. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Interesting article -- thanks for the link!

The bottom of the article says that Dominique D'Onofrio is Gooch's head coach. Isn't Belgian goalkeeping legend Michel Preud'homme Standard's head coach?

5. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    From what I recall of the situation, he was initially too young and inexperienced, hence the first loan. After the first loan, he returned to a team that was playing the best defensive football in the french first division. As a result, they didn't see him "helping" them at the time. So hence the loan with the option to buy to Standard. Now of course they are going to purchase. So Metz loses some money if big clubs are sniffing around the kid at this young age.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The explanation I've seen most is coaching change combined with brining him as an RB. Metz is having a mid-table season so far (very good for them) but have a pretty high goals against, so one might think they might try him. I don't know Metz CD situation very well.

7. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Metz is dumb.

8. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Well said. They are the real losers in all of this. The hefty transfer fee they could have collected from selling Onyewu to a big club will now go to Standard.

9. former baller

former baller New Member

Mar 10, 2002

Sitting on the bench at Metz not playing doesn't usually get you a big transfer fee. Loaned out to get experience and garner transfer interest opens options for club and player.

10. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    they could have loaned him out without putting in the option to sell his contract, right?

11. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    No.

12. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    "as a late sub in the 6-0 drubbing of CONCACAF minnow Panama

And here I thought Jack Edwards made up the word "drubbing". I still think it was "drumming" in the '02 US-Portugal match though.

13. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    I like this quote:

"I dream to play in the Premier League," Onyewu said. "But, if I had the choice, I would pick a club like Middlesbrough or Bolton, where I could play more games."

Selfish on my part because I could watch him play on a week to week basis and the fact he wants playing time and decent money over a lot of money and not warming the bench at one of the bigger teams...Big Sam are you listening?

14. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I guess Standard tries to contract Onyewu to make sure they will be the sellers after WC 2006.

I believe Gooch will be a revelation in Germany next year. Coupled to Pope, that defence will be tough to break.

15. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Is that what he said? I could never figure that out...

16. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sadly, as big a club as lazio is, their nazio reputation means that that is probably the last place a black american player would go to play his ball.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's get there first please.

18. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    If Standard would have agreed to it. We don't really know what sort of negotiating position either team was in. Maybe Metz had to include an option to buy in order to make the deal a reality.

Soccer is full of stories of players "breaking out." I don't blame Metz for not knowing that Gooch was going to be that good in a year's time. Few on these boards predicted that he would do as well as he has. I don't take pity on them either though.

19. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I take great pleasure in promoting Gooch for greatness ever since he was courted by pro teams while at Clemson. Maybe I should be in charge of scouting talent at Metz! Ok, so it was because I'd seen him a few times and he always impressed me with his skill, and when you added his work ethic and physique? I just thought he'd do well.

But no, you can't pity clubs, and Metz will be fine, unless of course their defense starts leaking goals at the same time Gooch is sold for millions of Euros. Then maybe they'll feel sorry for themselves.

But you're right, for every breakout player like Gooch, there is at least one Thorrington that doesn't get to the next level. Hard to predict who will make it and who wont.

20. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets see him first play some Concacaf, how he does against Mexico and down in Sarprisa

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It'll be interesting to see if a guy of his size helps or hurts us against the 'little' teams in our region.

22. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    He surely will be the only man with Howard to know how to handle real opponents. You cannot play the MLS pace vs Germany nor England.

Also, I hope some friendlies will be organised with stronger countries than the concacaf ones. This would surely make Bruce realize that he should revise his defense line.

23. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well ok, but its different style of play, you have to admit that, he has not faced players with this quick short passing, and quickness, the latin style . European game is different. besides he didn't get hit with urine,and batteries yet.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Our MLS players, esp Donovan and Beasley were much quicker than any players in the Germany line-up at WC 2002.What are you exactly saying?

25. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christ Omi - this comes across as pure drivel. First off, everyone on the USMNT will be able to handle real opponents. Those from MLS will be our best MLS players, clearly capable of playing above "MLS Pace". and those from Europe will have every bit the seasoning that Gooch and Howard (who I am currently very down on.) have or will have.

and yeah, I do want to see how he reacts to some of these hell holes in Azteca, Saprissa, Mazatanango, before anointing him the Next US Defensive Savior. We do have a lot of excellent youth coming through the pipelines. Let's see how they actually perform before pencilling them in the 2006 line-up please.