Great films that ain't so great

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ghost, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Everyone loves them. Everyone knows they're outstanding films. Everyone but you.

1) American Beauty --- Written at the depth of a reasonably smart, completely smart-ass teenager. Not so much middlebrow as middle school.Yes, Kevin Spacey is fed up with his life, but you would be too if you were married to the screenwriter's walking dartboard. Adulthood is completely about sex. Teenagers are always right. Drugs are a completely positive liberating force without any downside. This film is completely lacking in honesty, generosity or humanity.

2) Good WIll Hunting --- When I tell people that I hate this film, they look at me like I just shot a puppy. Of course the film makes me want to shoot a puppy. Apparently the cure for a serious personality disorder isn't so much thorazine as the love of a half-pretty English girl and a little rub of Robin Williams' sweater. The beginning of the end for Gus Van Sant.

3) L.A. Confidential --- It's reasonably entertaining. It ends. You don't think about it afterwards. I've never seen an allegedly great film with a shorter shelf life in my mind. Are we supposed to be happy that the girl chooses the violent one?

Anyways, have at it.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd agree with the L.A. Confidential citation.

The Shawshank Redemption -- nice story, but not the greatest film ever. Not even close.

North By Northwest -- OK, this is an interesting film, but the contrived ending at Mount Rushmore kills everything that came before it.

Se7en -- Gruesome but not art.

Ghost, Forrest Gump, Gladiator -- all total crap.

3. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agre with all of these mentioned except North by Northwest. And LA Confidential is a decent movie.

I would like to add these recent Oscar winners:

Saving Private Ryan
    The English Patient
    A Perfect Mind
    Gladiator
    Shakespeare in Love

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Taxi Driver
    Godfather 1&2
    Kramer vs. Kramer
    Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction

[/sarc]:D But I would give an honest mention to "Once Upon A Time In America"

5. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Amen, brotha man.

The three most boring movies I've ever had to endure are all thought of as great movies. How, I have no idea.

The English Patient
    Dances With Wolves
    Chariots of Fire

6. david dunn

david dunn New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    france
    Titanic
    the exorsist
    zombie

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without sarcasm:

Pulp Fiction: Tarentino is the Busby Berkeley of his age.

Something About Mary: About imbeciles, by imbeciles, for...

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hated Kramer vs Kramer and Chariots of Fire. Yuck! I am just not mainstream.

10. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a term for people like you. Cant think of it right now though.

The English Patient was beautifully written, filmed and acted. It just isn't for those who are not interested in good literature, I suppose. Or perhaps its that backlash bandwagon thing people like to hop on so often.

11. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...though I agree that Dances With Wolves is exploitative, sentimental crap.

12. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Right.

Books are for people that are interested in good literature.

I agree, the English Patient was well written and acted. It was just excruciatingly boring. Just not a very good movie. I'm sure it's a fine book. But lord knows, I'll never know.

13. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Natural Born Killers
    Requiem For a Dream
    2001: A Space Odyssey

most things starring Laurence Olivier except Rebecca
    everything with John Wayne, except Stagecoach and The Quiet Man

14. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Lotta *#*#*#*#heads posting here...

15. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chicago

Musicals always suck.

16. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    "The Matrix" wasn't that original or that profound.

Another sentimental contrived film which Robin Williams stars in: "Dead Poets Society".

"Usual Suspects" is just a well executed gimmick.

17. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm not a film scholar, so I won't go into some huge deal about why I think this movie is brilliant (because I couldn't really), but I will say it did what it seemed to want to do, and that was to bring you into a scene and feel exactly what the character was going through. And did it ever. Much like the firecracker scene in Boogie Nights, the last half hour of Requiem For A Dream is tense, gripping and downright nauseating, which is what I'm guessing Aranovski (sic??) was going for. In my book, that's pretty good filmmaking.

18. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a bunch of Eurosnobs!

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Matrix. I've said many times on this board that it's the most intellectually offensive movie I've ever seen.

20. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Gladiator

Matrix- and every dummy who never see any good movies and then say this one and started saying it should win an oscar.

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's not for those who are interested in good cinema, either.

22. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There is a lot of whining about this movie and the matrix. Matrix is considered intellectually insulting to many educated people, but I watch movies to get entertained. The matrix is extremely entertaining. The helicopter smashing into building and turn into big explosion scene absolutely blew my mind in the theater. It has to be one of the most amazing scene of all time.

I think movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, while cheesy but might be the best thing that happens in recent years. Some consider it being revolutionary. Not the film itself, but now all the newest action films have improved dramatically in choreagraphy in last 2 years. All the improved fighting and action sequence make fight scene in Jean Claude VanDame movies look really stupid. A lot of movies have hired Asian films consultant and actors to script the fighting part. In blades I&II, I think Wesley Snipes killed more Asian vampires than anything else.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Great films that ain't so great

Directors in Hong Kong have been doing it for 25 years. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," is a fine film, but it's certainly not revolutionary.

24. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Exactly. That movie didn't show me anything I hadn't seen before.

25. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: Re: Great films that ain't so great

That's not my point. My point is it's impact on Holywood action films. It's not revolutionary if American don't know about it or care for it enough to copy it. Remember the remake of 3 musketeer? It would have been absolutely nothing special if they didn't have action sequence similar to crouching tiger.