Great Burger Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by TheSlipperyOne, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    @Bazi
    Do you care to share that bun recipe?

2. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'll look up the detailed measurements for you when I'm home tomorrow, but if my memory serves me right it is basically a slightly adjusted Brioche dough. You need breadflour, eggs, butter, milk, yeast and a bit sugar. Then after kneading it by hand (or better in the machine) you cover with clean film and let it rest for a couple of hours (or over night). Then put into form (100-120g per bun depending on how big you like them), let them rise again, brush eggwash and sprinkle sesame (or whatever you like) on top and bake for ~18 minutes in a preheated oven at 180° C.

3. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @Sport Billy

Don't know if you're a beginner or already familiar with yeast doughs so I made the description pretty detailed.

Ingredients for 6-8 burger buns depending on your preferred size:

- 500g bread flour but all purpose also works
    - 150ml of warm water
    - 150ml of milk
    - 50g of butter cut into thin slices
    - a tablespoon of sugar
    - a teaspoon of salt
    - 20g of fresh yeast or one package of dried yeast. You may have to follow the instructions of your dried yeast and activate it first
    - 1 whole egg for the dough
    - 1 egg yolk and a small splash of heavy cream or milk for the egg wash

Recipe:

If you want to use the dough shortly after making it then mix milk, water, sugar and yeast together and let it rest for 15 minutes. The yeast in the liquid should make a notable noise by now and produce a bit of foam. If you let the finished dough ferment for 5-24 hours in the refridgerator then this step is not necessary, but you can still do it if you want.

Now either add the liquid mixture to the flour, butter and whole egg or just lump everything together in the mixing bowl of your kitchen machine and let the dough hook do all the work. After the first 1-2 minutes on slow I add the teaspoon of salt. I don't know if it's really necessary to wait with it, but my mum always said salt could kill off the yeast at an earlier s tage so I just do it as well. Then when all is added another 6-8 minutes on a slightly higher setting. This should produce a silky smooth but still quite wet dough. You can also do it with a handmixer or even your hands, but with the sticky consistency you run into the danger of using too much flour. So I recommend the use of a machine.

Cover the bowl with clean film and let it rest for at least one hour. If that's all the time you have then put it into a warm oven (activate your oven lights if you have them) to jumpstart the fermentation. 3-5 hours on the counter yields better results though. Even better to make it the evening before and let the dough ferment for ~24 hours.

Now all that's left is to cut them into 6-8 pieces and bring them into form. Use some flour on the work area if you feel it's still a bit too sticky but it should be fine. Also don't make them too flat and wide or you won't have the desired height. If you start out with a ball shaped piece of dough, one solid downward press of your heel of hand should be enough. But of course feel free to use a form if you have one.

Put the formed raw burger buns on a baking sheet with parchment paper and cover them with a towl until the dow has risen again. This takes between 20 and 60 minutes depending on the temperature of your dough and kitchen.

Now all you've left to do is brushing the eggwash gently over your burger buns and finish with some white or black sesame seeds. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 200° C in a preheated oven.

Sport Billy repped this.
  4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    thank you

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States