Great Bookstores You May Know

Discussion in 'Books' started by Val1, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 Val1, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    IMG_20220807_114022963.jpg

Know Knew Books -- Staunton, Virginia

I visit Staunton (home to the only Blackfriar's replica theater in the world) a couple times a year. But these guys opened in the middle of the pandemic and this was my first visit since the pandemic, so MrsVal1 and I blew an afternoon here we were going to spend elsewhere. Nicely labeled and sorted, very open and bright, huge selection, plus DVDs and CDs. One of the most underserved classes in used bookstores -- that age between children's books and modern Young Adult -- was well represented here. Friendly staff. I took one book back after one day and I didn't have a receipt, but the owner credited me without complaining.

Guy is old school. No web site. But great word of mouth. When he recently had to move, much of the labor was patrons. So you know he's got community roots.

Chesco United and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are a couple of used books stores that have popped up in Lubbock recently. This one is about a half mile from my house and has been open since spring 2021. They're just now setting up their rudimentary website and have everything listed (but aren't yet taking web orders).

https://www.2ndchancebooks.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigredfutbol and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife has been to Powells in Portland and City Lights in San Francisco. My all time great was The Strand in NYC, but I always do well on vacation

[​IMG]

It's much bigger than it looks. It's near Gloucester, Mass, in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA. It did not appear in the movie by that name.

bigredfutbol, Val1 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My county has a couple good bookshops. Closest to me is the Wellington Square Bookshop in Eagleview/Lionville. They have a great selection of Penguin Classics! In Phoenixville, there is Reads & Company. Robb Caddigan, the author of the novel Phoenixville Rising, is a co-owner. Sadly, we lost the great bookstore Chester County Book Company. At least, the CD shop survived and moved.

Dr. Wankler repped this.