Graz derby pics

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Schwarzweiss, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Nice pics. What I was wondering was would you say there is a difference between the type of fans who support Sturm and the type who support GAK? For example, is Sturm's following from Graz itself while GAK supporters come from the area around Graz (just as an example)? Does Sturm have more working-class fans than GAK or vice versa? Are they originally from different parts of town?

2. Schwarzweiss

Schwarzweiss New Member

May 29, 2003
    Graz (Austria)
    At the origin, the two clubs presented the exact difference from each other. GAK had always been the club for the rich people and businessman who were living in the better parts of the city.
    On the other hand there was Sturm, the younger club which was always the club for the workers from the industrial parts of Graz.
    The typical destination for the reds (GAK) are the northern quarters of the city, the industrial souhern part of Graz had always been the home of the blackies.
    As a consequence of being the younger club in town (foundated 1909, GAK in 1902), Sturm had real big troubles to survive in its first years in the Austrian amateur league.
    It was finally in 1997 when Sturm Graz stepped out of the shadow of GAK, winning two Austrian championships in a row, appearing in Champion's League three times and dominating the Austrian League.
    Nowadays things have turned around again, GAK is currently in 2nd position, fighting for its first championship in 104 years of club history.
    Sturm currenly is fighting against relegation after having a desasterous season last year.
    Let's hope things will turn arorund real soon ;-)

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks, that's interesting information. I've been following the Bundesliga since about 96. Sturm has been more successful for most of that time, so I kind of figured they were the clear number one in Graz.

I'm going to Rapid-Salzburg tomorrow - should be interesting.