Gravy Bowl '07

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by MikeGossard, Oct 24, 2007.

1. utah_heretic

utah_heretic New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Actually, we fielded at least 4 full teams since we were playing on 2 fields simultaneously, with subs that puts the player total closer to 50-60...the crowd was much larger over by the RMC, but I would have estimated the bystanders alone at close to 30 people between the two fields. My guess is there were probably anywhere from 70-90 people at the event. Thanks for the photos Boz. Anybody have photos from the west field?

2. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, there was a good match going on there. These two were the only shots of the West field that I captured:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Gravy Cup was great! I ran the 5k with some friends before I went over to the cup. I didn't register for the run, and they were PISSED when I crossed the finish line without a number. I saved my $25 registration to donate to the food bank via the Gravy Cup.

Poqui's family is really nice, especially his mom. I played defense for the dark team on the west side for about 20min before splitting to appease the wife. The dark side did well.:)

The turnout seemed pretty good and the play was fun. I missed Nick, but I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to see him some other time. Thanks for a great event. Hope to be there next year! Thanks for the pix.

4. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Gravy Cup '07 is history......I managed to use every excuse on my list. :D

I put a Gravy Cup wrapup post over on AYL. This kind of thing doesn't happen without lots of help so I want to recognize all those individuals who stepped up in various ways.

And a big thank you to all those who came and played - I felt like the level of soccer was the best of any of the Gravy Cups (or maybe it just seems that way because each year I'm older and my game is getting weaker). The RSL front office has some players - maybe they should swap jobs with the team. ;)

5. I really enjoyed it. It was fun to play soccer with the people you have been chatting with the last couple of years. I am so sore! I couldn't even run the last game I played in. Nick was great and very friendly. I wish we would get together more than just once a year.

6. embratsu

embratsu Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boston
    I just dropped the food off at the food bank and it weighed in at an impressive 532 lb.

7. No wonder your suv looked like a low rider...:eek:

8. chronicrslnewb

chronicrslnewb New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Just wanted to say I had a great time and say thanks to everyone who helped put this together. My girls even had a great time sitting out there in the cold. Looking forward to next year.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanksgiving week at home with my wife and daughters is my favorite week of the year. The only thing that would tempt me into upending that and heading for my in-laws is this event, which is one of the best things I know of any team doing, anywhere.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great job guys, very proud of your work. Nice pics Deuce and Boz!

11. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I was not there...

The props go to Boz for the great pics.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok then fine, props to Boz for the pics, props to Deuce for running AYL and helping out RSL fandom in general. ;)

13. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Thank-yous to all who organized and who supported the event. It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of familiar faces from the over-30 league over on the west field, but we all behaved much better than we do in league games.
    I just wish we all had little signs above our heads with our BS names so we knew who everyone was.
    It was great to meet Poqui's Mom and Sister, too. I just wish they'd brought the empanadas...
    Running for two hours helped me enjoy turkey et al. much more, since it allayed some of the guilt of ritual gluttony for the day.

14. The empanadas were great..., thank you :D

15. sanlorenzita

sanlorenzita New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    in my head
    It WAS great to meet poquis sister and mom...

16. But let's be honest here, it was poqui's sister that took the cake. She is sooo awesome!

17. sanlorenzita

sanlorenzita New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    in my head

yes, I hear she played a heck of a game... while your mom stood on the sidelines and cheered. Nice meeting your son too. sweet kid.

18. embratsu

embratsu Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boston
    Yeah, he's a nice kid.... When he's not nutmeging you or otherwise making you look like a fool on the field. ;)

19. He gets grounded when he nutmegs his dad...!

20. embratsu

embratsu Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boston
    WOW! He must spend a lot of time locked up in his room! ;)

21. TheGoldenBoot

TheGoldenBoot Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Ogden, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Ouch! Touche!

23. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, if anyone has any ideas on how we can make next year's Gravy Cup better, lemme know.

As we've grown in size we're running into logistical problems that will need solved (though I have no idea how). Anything else you can think of that would make it more fun, better attended, get us more publicity, etc., post it here or drop me a line.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second site in Pullman WA? :)

25. sanlorenzita

sanlorenzita New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    in my head
    As I sat on the sidelines gathering food, watching the poqui family and others play... one thing i noticed was the lack of organization on rotating people. Some people on the sideline got frustrated bc they wanted to play and some people never left the field.

that would be the one thing i see needed improvement.