Grass Roots Marketing

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by time4wine, May 24, 2010.

1. m311ton

m311ton Member

Nov 27, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I attend a match at Soccer Park, I don't just see it as affordable entertainment. And to be blunt I don't do it because it's good soccer or because I love NASL. I go to games because I want to see MLS in St Louis. So every time I go to a game, I consider it a long-term investment. Each ticket I buy is my way of "voting" for MLS to award a franchise here.

My point in sharing this is that people go to games for different reasons. For example, lowering ticket prices won't affect me much because I'm not going for affordable entertainment. Cheap tickets is a major benefit, but not my primary reason for attending. Our efforts could benefit from understanding why people attend. If you know why they come, you'll be able to do a better job of appealing to their wants and needs.

Let's look at some of the potential reasons why people come to games and who that audience is:

1) Families looking for affordable weekend entertainment
    2) People looking for an excuse to get wasted and set off smoke bombs
    3) Soccer players who like being around the game
    4) Fans with a long term vision of MLS coming to St Louis

Advertising "be part of the crowd" with a picture of smoke bombs going off won't appeal much to Group #1. But advertising the ticket prices might. On the other hand, advertising ticket prices to Group #4 might not matter as much. Instead they might want to see a message like "get in on the early stage" or "help bring MLS to St Louis one game at a time".

I love to see fans taking initiative to help elevate the club and bring more fans on board. Hope this feedback is helpful. I look forward in helping any way I can.

2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5) Fans who like soccer, like having a hometown team to cheer on, like to drink a few beers, don't mind the smokebombs, maybe once played or still play soccer, would love to have an MLS team here and like that it's affordable entertainment.

but yes, I see your point. that's why I'm also posting the plain, but professional looking flyers that Ken Godat of Ac St.Louis gave to me. I do like your phrase you came up with, maybe Brad could come up with one of those too.

3. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be a downer here but I wouldn't play up the whole MLS idea too much. There were some Eads Brigadeers who were pretty active until it was announced that we were getting an NASL team instead of an MLS team. I hate to see people only come in support of the team in hopes of it getting promoted, then if that doesn't happen they get pissed and stop supporting all together. People who'll support the team no matter what league they're in are a much better long term investment.
    That being said you're absolutely right that we need to appeal to peoples motives for coming out. The best are the ones who love soccer and will support the club and the ones who are just looking for cheap entertainment... then we can convert them.

4. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think it's a wonderful idea to come up with different flyers for each demographic. Make 4 different ones and spread them out accordingly. Shops like Soccer Master would be an ideal location for demographic #1 since it's mostly families and coaches that come in there. Passing out flyers for demographic #2 would be wonderful at placed like The Amsterdam or other pubs and bars. #3 and #4 would be just fine anywhere really...

5. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll play around with some other designs, but I kind of agree with Tim on the MLS fans. This is NASL and we should be proud of that. St. Louis was the MLS doormat and that ship has sailed. I'll be happy if it ever happens, but I'm thrilled to have the team we have. Besides- are there that many diehard MLS fans in St. Louis to market to?

I can work on a Soccer Mom Flyer and a Support Your Local Team Flyer. Everybody else feel free to make your own as well. I'm no professional, just a dork with a Mac and a little free time. ;)

6. m311ton

m311ton Member

Nov 27, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha yes, didn't mean to leave this one out. I'm guessing most if not all of us are in this boat :)

7. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis

Perhaps we could drop off the Soccer Mom flyers at places like SoccerMaster?

Also, can somebody PM me Ken's email address? I have a couple ideas/leads on how to get some high school teams involved.

8. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about this for the Soccer Mom?

[​IMG]

9. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the Spanish Flyer

[​IMG]

10. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love it! Love both actually!

11. AC Affton

AC Affton Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Soccer mom is awesome! Please don't take this the wrong way because I'm only thinking out loud, but is the Spanish flyer too stereotypical? I'm not saying it is. I think it's great. Whatever it takes to bring more fans.

12. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a perfect Target/strip-mall for me to put up all of the different fliers. There is a soccer master, comic shop, Mexican restaurant, and a bunch of other shops.

13. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, see if Brad can email you the files and go print and post them!

14. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

anybody that wants them can email me "demunb@gmail.com"

15. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could send them to my Eads email, jamie@eadsbrigade.org ?

16. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah. I'll tweak a few things and send them tomorrow.

17. MUhooligan10

MUhooligan10 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Chickenhead, I'd change the "Wednesday" to "Miercoles" and "July" to "Julio"...

Otherwise, it's amazing!

18. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perfect.

19. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Should I change the "Wednesday" and "July" per MUHooligan's suggestion?

Also- Should I do the same flyer in English to post next to the Spanish ones? Surely there will be some English speaking people in these places too?

20. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say yes and yes.

21. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I emailed .pdf copies of the flyers to everyone that requested them. If you didn't get them or still want them, just let me know.

22. STLSpurs

STLSpurs New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    St. Louis
    I'd love some, I think you have my email.

Also, an idea: we create a facebook event for the game on th 28th. ONE EVENT, encompassing, HSC, STL Ultras, Eads Brigade, RCS, L. Army, UK, etc. etc. etc.

Invite pretty much everybody you know that has even a 5% chance of showing up.

Who's with me?

23. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jen started a facebook event for the pre-game tailgate party. RSVP and invite as many people as you can think of. I invited all my soccer friends, but I don't know too many UK members.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=133857609985315

24. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK...I sent out invites to about 75 or 80 people...I don't know...a bunch on my friends list.

I also mentioned that there are a LIMITED number of free tix.

25. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bring 5 or 6 free tickets and 5 or 6 buy one get one free tickets too.