Grass Roots Marketing

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by time4wine, May 24, 2010.

1. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright guys, sometimes you gotta take things into your own hands. After spending 5 years as a Hotel Manager and being a super Enthusiastic Fan of AC, I can't sit by any longer and continue to hear how people don't know about our team and see our stadium at 50-60% capacity, (If my hotels were 50-60% occupancy, I'd be doing something about it yesterday) then tack up everything that's been going on with the Financial crap and I'm ready to do something that should have been done from day 1.

I told Ken about my idea of a Grass Roots Marketing plan and he's all for it. He's printing out a bunch of flyers for me to pick up. I'm hoping that they get them before this Saturday. If so, I would like for a bunch of us to meet up somewhere (ABSP or wherever) hopefully this Saturday and go out distribute/hang them up. In the Hotel Biz we called this a Sales Blitz, here we're just doing what needs to be done for our team.

What do you guys think? Does Saturday work, or should I wait until a little closer to the next home game? Should we go all out, try to be super organized and hit out with a plan? Or just wing it and people go their own ways? Discuss

2. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be the best way to do that, as far as places to go? I wouldn't really know how to start such a thing.

3. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we want to do it organized, I'll come up with lists and maps of indoor and outdoor soccer parks, sporting good stores (Soccer Master, etc), soccer camps and any thing else we can think of. Maybe then I'll divide the St.Louis Metro area into sections and depending on how many people show up I'll then hand out those maps/lists to each person. Something like that.

4. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also try to get the .pdf so we can email it out to friends and put it on facebook pages, etc.

5. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think maybe waiting until closer to a home game would be more effective. Next time you talk to Ken see what the chances of bumper stickers or window decals is. Just seeing the logo around town and recognizing fellow fans would be nice. A little brotherhood among season ticketholders with the decals and people asking what's that sticker would be useful.

6. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Hell I work in downtown and I know the guy who owns the shop would have zero problem with putting their stuff out.

7. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that we could get the Amsterdam to let us put stuff up there.

I've got an in with the owner as it is.

8. wyountrx

wyountrx New Member

May 24, 2010
    Olivette/St. Louis
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you post the final product I'll make the effort to print and post at local parks and if there are any soccer parks around.

Also, I second the idea for bumper stickers or window decals. If someone gets the ok to use the logo there are tons of websites out there for $2-3 per decal when using multiple colors. There may also be local printers as well.

I'd be willing to help defer some upfront costs if we get supporter interest in purchasing and the clubs are ok with use of the logos.

Figure one oval with simply the logo. Another could be "Follow me to AB-Soccer Park for Professional Soccer" with both the men and women logo on either side.

Kirk

9. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very cool guys, I'll email him with these ideas and questions. Keep them coming.

10. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt he'll have a problem with us using the logo it if its to drum up interest for the team. In fact, when I took the AC Badge off the Chickenhead logo early on he asked where it went and gave his approval to put it back on. They might balk if we try to make money off the logo, but with their advertising budget I'll bet they'll ok anything we're willing to pay for.

11. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sent it to me. Let me know who all wants it, message me with your emails you want it sent to

12. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kza3000@hotmail.com

13. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said they don't have the revenue for it!

14. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah, I don't doubt that now.

They don't have the revenue for toilet paper currently.

15. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it's probably something they should have had from the beginning of the season. Like the Athletica did last year.

16. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Hell, I see Scott Gallagher stickers with the original SLSU crest on soccer mom minivans in my town.

17. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I see them everywhere. Would be nice to see the AC STL logo everywhere like that.

18. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To hell with it. I've got friends in vinyl design and print shops. I'll just make my own.

19. demunb

demunb Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Crystal City, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

maybe we can get all the Supporter's groups and me and my little group to go in together and then hand them out to people at the games? Get some prices and we can talk it out. I'd be willing to chip in.

20. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I'm sure I could get stuff mass produced if people want to help with the cost. No problem.

21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ken just emailed me, said he printed out 1000 and has coupons stapled to them. I'll pick them up this week and let you all know how they look.

22. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad schools let out for summer already. Would be a good in to reach the younger crowd.

I'd also recommend maybe leaving some at area rec centers/gyms... might be able to catch the younger professional crowd that'd be interested in a beer-filled sporting event. Lord knows our generation doesn't need an excuse for that.

23. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, definitely had those in mind.

24. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    benya31@yahoo.com

im down to help, actually i emailed him several weeks ago saying id like to basically do the same thing- no reply.

25. KyleScarborough

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The flyer is officially defacing city property along Washington Ave. :cool: