Grant Wahl's WC Preview - USA

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ECRedSoxFan, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ECRedSoxFan

ECRedSoxFan Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I thought it was worth discussion:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/04/17/profile.usa/index.html
    I like his starters except I personally would like to see Gibbs over Pope as that 2nd middle defender, but I can live with what he has listed. Only other thoughts would be in regards to Convey (over Beasley?). I don't know much about Beasley's current form, but he looked beyond poor in the Poland match (last time I saw him). Convey has been impressive the last several times I have seen him play.

2. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta have Mastroeni in there. GOT TO. that midfield is too cute, not enough punch to handle the Czechs or Italians (or the Ghanaians, for that matter).

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Czech's only have 2 central midfielders. One of them isn't any better than either Reyna or JOB. The other is Rosicky. I like my chances there without a destroyer

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that his prediction of what Bruce will do, or his preference?

That lineup manages to both leave Pablo on the bench, meaning a weak defensive midfield, and at the same time have mediocre scoring ability from midfield. Assuming Dempsey and Beasley are the wings, that central midfield isn't much of a threat to score, is it? Add that to the dubious goal scoring of McBride and Donovan....

Don't get me started on Pope. Fine, put him on the team, his recent play has earned that. But to start him over Gibbs AND Bocanegra???????

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting he puts LD up front, guess he has been following the "Is there anyone else with a pulse to play forward threads". :)

6. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mastro is not needed. Reyna has put the clamps on some high caliber players. Remember Davids. That wasn't too long ago.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Reyna + JOB <> Weak Defensive midfield. Fact
    Reyna + JOB = Best central midfielders on the field. Fact.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What's your alternative? Swapping in Pablo won't add offensive punch. And McBride and Donovan up top look pretty good when compared to the alternatives. Barcelona, we're not. In fact, '02 offense, we're not.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    btw - can anyone here recall the last time Bocanegra played a soccer game? Does anyone know when he'll play another soccer game?

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    and to those who believe a 451, unbalanced lineup can't do it.

Germany (GER) USA (USA)
    [ 1] KAHN Oliver (GK) (C) [ 1] FRIEDEL Brad (GK)
    [ 2] LINKE Thomas [ 2] HEJDUK Frankie (-65')
    [ 6] ZIEGE Christian [ 3] BERHALTER Gregg
    [ 7] NEUVILLE Oliver (-80') [ 4] MASTROENI Pablo (-80')
    [ 8] HAMANN Dietmar [ 5] O BRIEN John
    [ 11] KLOSE Miroslav (-88') [ 7] LEWIS Eddie
    [ 13] BALLACK Michael [ 10] REYNA Claudio (C)
    [ 15] KEHL Sebastian [ 20] MC BRIDE Brian (-58')
    [ 19] SCHNEIDER Bernd (-60') [ 21] DONOVAN Landon
    [ 21] METZELDER Christoph [ 22] SANNEH Anthony
    [ 22] FRINGS Torsten [ 23] POPE Eddie

------Sanneh-----Pope------Berhalter------Hejduk---------
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------Mastro-------------------------------
    --------------Reyna---------JOB-----------Lewis------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------Donovan------McBride------------------------

Pretty much the best game we ever played in a world cup (including the Portugal match) considering the situation, our dominance, and the opponent. And the chances created.

11. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Wahl is ok, except: Convey for Dempsey, switch Beasley to the right; assuming JOB isn't ready, Pablo starts as the defensive mid. Probably play a 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1, if you like) , with McBride up top, Donovan coming from a slightly withdrawn position.

12. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland
    I posted the below in another thread on the US forwards. I really respect Grant Wahl, though, so I'm happy to see this thread:

Grant Wahl is thinking along those lines over at CNNSI.

Although he's thinking Dempsey over Convey.

It's pretty clear that our greatest depth right now is at midfield. As long as we maintain our health there, bring Donovan as a forward to pair with BMcB. That puts our strongest players on the field and leaves Convey, EJ, and Rolfe available to sub if anyone's ineffective.

Grant Wahl's lineup:

-----BMcB-----Donovan-----
    Beas--Reyna--JOB--Dempsey
    Lewis--Pope--Onyewu--Dolo
    ----------Keller------------

This is close to my preferred offensive lineup. For a more defensive stance I'd consider Convey, Mastro, and Gibbs for Beas, JOB, and Lewis/Pope.

That leaves the 2nd string preferably:

-------EJ-------Rolfe-------
    Convey--Mastro---Olsen---KZ
    Gibbs--Boca--Hejduk--Spector
    ------Howard/Hanneman------

Olsen, KZ, Howard, and Hanneman never see the field for the duration of the Cup - therefore I don't mind fudging around Olsen and KZ's slots with a wildcard like Mapp.

That being the case - I am very happy with something like this as I think it provides the US a very strong team with plenty of reserve quality - and the opportunity to throw a surprising player in the mix as well.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Your lineup would have fewest goals of any central midfield in the Cup, aside from the no hopers. A right mid who has never had a good international game against a high-quality side. A left mid who can't get off the bench at the club level. A MLS forward who couldn't make the starting 11 in Europe, and an old forward whose manager wants him to get an operation the day that the club season ends.

Aside from that, our offense looks strong, yes. ;)

14. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm gonna use this as my sig line after we get beat 3-0 with Wahl's soft-as-a-marshmallow midfield. :D

15. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    So basicaly the US line-up will be consisted of 90% WC-2002 vet, will this be a good thing or bad ?

16. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those who forget history are deemed to repeat it -- and the US can't afford to this time around.

17. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a great idea until JOB and Reyna get injured, which will likely happen in the first 65 minutes of the opening match. and a good idea until Dempsey gets his 2nd yellow for diving, sometime around minute 86 of the first match. :D

18. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "A left mid who can't get off the bench at the club level." ???

Have you really been paying any attention to Beasley this year?

"A MLS forward who couldn't make the starting 11 in Europe..."

Alright, this may be true, but this doesn't change his NT record, and excellent club play in MLS, not to mention leadership at a very young age.

"...and an old forward whose manager wants him to get an operation the day that the club season ends."

Again, speculation, and overly critical of one of the strongest performers in the EPL this year, regardless (yes, I said it). Athletes play through these injuries (if he really has it) as he has been doing. He can have the surgery after the WC and still be back for the season opener w/ Fulham ala Conrad.

Such a negative outlook is really not healthy, my friend.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You dork, that was a 3-5-2, with Hejduk at right wingback.

Your obsession on this point, and your veiled shots at me, are now officially annoying.

20. Soccernethost

Soccernethost New Member

Apr 16, 1999
    Think Gibbs or Spector have a chance at left back and that Johnson might see the field at the expense of Dempsey, but think it's more likely that Wahl's got it exactly right.

21. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    so you're saying you think the whole team sucks then?

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Box midfield

Keller; JOB, Gibbs, Gooch, Steve C.; Pablo, Reyna; Beasley, Donovan; McBride, Johnson.

Alternatively, 4-1-3-2.

Keller; JOB, Gibbs, Gooch, Steve C.; Pablo; Beasley, Donovan, Reyna (that's right, Reyna at right wing); Johnson, McBride.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sometimes the sugar benefits from a touch of acidity.

I exaggerated on Beasley, though, you are right about that. Started about 40% of the games, came on as a sub the other 20%. A solid squad player.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

-filler

25. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're going to take our best 1v1 attacker off the field and make one of our most dynamic wingers play out of position just so you can get another winger of similar talent on the field?