Grant Wahl @ SI.com: Olsen, youngest head coach in MLS, ready to revitalize D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ImNumberTen, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entire article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/02/24/dc.united.coach.olsen/index.html

VENTURA BEACH, Calif. -- For a club that finished dead last in the 2010 MLS points race, D.C. United sure has an intriguing team heading into the 2011 campaign.

The four-time MLS Cup champion features the league's most talked-about signing, Charlie Davies, the U.S. forward who joined on loan in his attempt to come back from a horrific 2009 auto accident. United also has 17-year-old midfielder Andy Najar, the reigning Rookie of the Year, who has put some adult muscle on his wiry frame. What's more, the revamped roster includes a host of other new faces, from gritty midfielder Dax McCarty to touted rookie center back Perry Kitchen to seasoned veterans in goalkeeper Pat Onstad, midfielder Fred and forwards Josh Wolff and Joseph Ngwenya.

Yet perhaps the most fascinating addition of all will be that of 33-year-old Ben Olsen, the youngest head coach in MLS, who has taken over the full-time job after serving in an interim role at the end of last season. The former United midfield stalwart wasn't expecting to get his big chance when his new gig was made official on Nov. 29, 2010.​

2. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Great article!

3. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Light a fire under ther butts Benny.

I think he will.

4. DCUBayernMunichfan13

Feb 25, 2011
    Strasburg, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article. I am so ready for this upcoming season. Honestly I think Ben will have a good season.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I can't wait to see what Olsen, Fraser and Winter can do in their first full seasons. May not be the playoffs, but all three of these teams will be much tougher to play against than last year.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    This is a tangent, but I figured it belonged in a Ben Olsen thread. In addition to being a hopefully successful new coach, our Ben is a true rennaisance man. Here's squib from the newletter from Bread for the City, a DC charity that provides food for the less well to do among us. Under the heading "Friends of Ben" on page 6 it says:

"DC United Head Coach Ben Olsen
    hosted a second successful art show
    to benefit Bread for the City. In order
    to “give back to the community that
    has given me so much,” Ben corralled
    a number of local artists -- including
    the Redskin’s Chris Cooley, Susan
    Burnstine, Mike Dowley, Rosemary Feit
    Covey, Ben Ferry, Katri Hunter, Choichun
    Leung, Peter Loge, and Michael Weber
    -- to contribute to a great auction in
    support of our services.
    Occassions Catering provided free
    food and Premier Distributors donated
    drink. Hosted at Morton Fine Art, the
    evening raised over $8,000. Thanks
    to everyone who contributed and attended!"

Under a photo Ben, the caption says: "DC United head coach, Ben Olsen, organized an auction of artwork (including his own) to benefit Bread for the City."

Who knew coach Ben was also an artist?!

Here's the link to the newsletter. Bread for the City does great work. And Ben is part of it. http://www.breadforthecity.org/Document.Doc?id=197

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been reasonably well publicized -- his work as an artist has been the subject of a number of articles in local periodicals that have been linked-to over the years. In 2005, the Washington Post Magazine did a big spread on him and his art. I searched their site for a link to an online copy of the article but couldn't find one.

8. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    At one point DCU auctioned off a jersey that he had painted on. Don't recall if it ever sold.

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, in hunting for a link to the Post Magazine article, I found a past discussion about that jersey here. Folks in that discussion were also unsure if it sold (bidding started at $300).

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The price on it got too high for my blood.
    I believe he painted an eagle on the jersey.