Grant Wahl: Congratulations, Donovan

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Wallydrag, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newest Gran Wahl.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/grant_wahl/11/23/donovan/index.html

I'd love to see this video. Anyone have any clue where to grab it if anyone even could? Regardless, this is encouraging.

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love this:

"Domestic friendlies against Sweden and South Korea are planned for January in advance of the Yanks' World Cup qualifier on Feb. 9.

• One man's humble suggestion: put that South Korea game in the Rose Bowl and start it with a celebrity death match between gymnasts Paul Hamm and Yang Tae-young. (The place would be packed.) Then promote some healing by bringing Korean forward Park Ji-sung out and granting him honorary citizenship for the World Cup goal he scored against Portugal to save the U.S. in '02."

3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Suprised that Apollo Ono wouldn't be invited to do the ceremonial first kick before the South Korea match, or that Abba (or barring that, the Cardigans) couldn't be here to preform the national anthems prior to the Sweden kick-off.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    adidas can make deputy chairmen of large European clubs think a lot of things.

these quotes are some nice evidence of the benefits of the league-wide adidas deal.

***note: see below post (i have no idea how mine got posted first, since i was replying to what maxim-1 wrote)

5. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    "[Bayern Munich deputy chairman] Uli Hoeness said next time we come maybe we should play an MLS team or an all-star team of the Western or Eastern Conference. Same with AC Milan: 'Hey, we'd like to come back, but maybe we can do this more closely with what's happening in the U.S. market and not play against another European team.'"

Wow! These guys are just figuring out that might be the way to develope NEW fans instead of catering to ones here who already are your fans, and not pissing off a majority of a nation's domestic league fans?

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There's a bug that's reorganizing posts for some reason

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Screw that. If AC Milan wants to piss off Stillitano, that's all I ever need.

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hillarious.

Anybody esle get the sense that this Addidas deal feels like being invited to sit at the Cool Kids Table. 'You mean we get to hang out with you guys??? And you're going to make a commercial for us?? And give us cool clothes??? NEATO!!!

***Note: I'm making the assumption that most or some of Biggsoccer members were already at the cool table or at one point were invited in highschool. If this is incorrect please, just ask a friend.***

9. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
  10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    The video was unreal. Showing Adidas players, Adidas clubs, etc. all in action around the world set to some sweet music. Plain and simple, this deal is huge for the league and Adidas looks to backup their deal with some real hard work with MLS.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Adidas deal is GOLD for MLS. Its true worth to the league is probably 2 or 3 times what the actual $$$$ are worth - in terms of dealing with a legitimate and competent and viable soccer company. They know what they want and they know how to do it.

They treat the league and the sport seriously. Not just some cute little time filler or something to throw money at and experiment with new uniforms or stupid names.

Every soccer-related thing I buy will now be Adidas. It was 80% adidas before - but no longer. This type of commitment and dedication to the league needs to be rewarded.

Oh and good luck Landon - kick Germany in the ass for me.

12. budalabutt

budalabutt Red Card

Nov 4, 2004
    Chi-town
    No not really. I think that Addidas realized that Champions World screwed up huge with that display of crap and outrageous ticket prices. When one of their teams gets booed by 50,000 people it isnt good marketing.

I think Addidas realized that, A.. MLS owners have more money than god and are spending it in stadiums and infrastructure. That infrasturcture sure is going to be a nice place to put on tournaments in 2 years. B. MLS will be snapped up by another sponsor and they will be last in line not in the front in a few years, so they better get in now.

I understand what your point was, I just dont feel inferior to these guys at all. IN fact I think they realized that MLS will be a giant in the future and bad memories can stay with you. :cool:

13. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon is chatting here?

14. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow i just hope the Adidas ads wont be only on foxpsportsworld or Telemundo...

I WANT to see them on ABC CBS NBC Etc

and I WANT large Vegas style advertsiing boards throughout the country and most importantly in the potential expansion markets...

Cant wait to see if MLS teams will play European giants next summer...

man oh man DC United -Man U
    Juventus FC - Dalls FC
    RSL - Real Madrid

orgasm

15. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll see them on all the mainstream channels mostly because they're selling shoes and appearal that MLS happens to be appart of instead of trying to sell MLS. It's just like using NBA players to sell shoes and appearal but they're not trying to sell the NBA. And I think you'll see these commericials in more consentration on ESPN, ESPN2 and the like but any sports type event on the Big 4 as well as Saturday afternoons etc you'll see them I'm sure.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The best kind of promotion is the free kind.

17. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sweet ass sweet

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really shouldn't be that surprising the effort Adidas is suggesting they are going to put into promoting MLS. Any company which committs over $100m isn't going to sit idly by and watch the money get squandered.

With the decline in C_World tour this summer it must have been painfully obvious Adidas and their clubs that going that route wasn't feasible over the long term. Would anyone really be excited if these same teams came back next summer?

But in the same respect, are you really going to get big crowds to see a Real/Metros game? Big enough to make it worth Real's time?