Grant Director of Football why?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by richsavare, Jul 9, 2007.

1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What is the point of this move, and what has this man achieved to be given such a title?

What does Jose think of this, I am sure he is not happy, and why does Roman have to higher his friend who is completely out of his depth for this level?

He (Grant) must feel like he won the lottery.

2. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/07/10/grants_first_task_is_to_build.html

The effect of Grant on Mourinho remains to be seen. The Israeli was introduced to Abramovich by the agent Pini Zahavi and his friendship with the Chelsea owner has been well documented.

Roman likes to meddle and get his Israeli 'boys' in control of the club, despite the fact they are not really top-level football coaches/managers. The Israeli boys are not really qualified. The agent Pini Zahavi continually crops up in all of this and he just seems like a complete wanker to be honest.

The latest in the saga is that Grant wants to be in the dug-out and Jose doesn't want him in the dug-out. . .

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jose is 1000% correct to disapprove of Grant being in the dugout. You or I have more right I believe.

I knew of the agent's relationship with Roman, and I believe the Owner's novice decisions will ultimately eliminate Jose, and in the long run hurt the club, as it clearly appears the man has no clue.

He is using Chelsea as a toy, and this is sad. These Israeli's have no business being involved in any football decisons. As I said before Grant must feel like he has won the lottery.

4. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well yes, football clubs are toys to some people [the filthy rich] but as long as he loves his toys, plays nicely and shares his toys a little it really isn’t so bad [or sad] and it is just the way the world is.

that is the reported conflict story in the media - so a pinch of salt until we know more maybe?

The appointment of grant to the Jose managerial team is an odd one. Jose likes to pick his own staff. He let Steve Clarke into the managerial team, sensibly aware that he needed to include a local boy in his team [Steve Clarke former Chelsea POY qualifies in abundance].

Avram Grant [according to the above guardian article] seems like a reasonable chap; philosophical and quiet. In fact he could even be a calming influence on the sometimes volatile Jose. But the whole situation can only really work if they ALL get along. If they don’t then there’ll be a fight – Grant with the support of Roman et al, and Jose with the support of all the coaches and most of the players as well [though maybe not Sheva if reports are to be believed?]. Not an ideal situation, so one does wonder (i) what is the real background story, is there really a potential conflict now or has it been truly resolved? And (ii) if there is a real conflict why Roman would risk upsetting the balance of Chelsea FC by bringing Grant in.

5. Oblivion_Master

Oblivion_Master New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    BridgeMonkee: avram grant is a private man anything he does or not its dosent have any connactions with israeli other coaches and israeli football at all. dont know from were your disgusting hate to the holy land come from.
    but theres enough professional coaches here. grant known in israel with his dirty wayes to get jobs. not somthing we dident know here.

you declared by 1 man you know from israel. that all israeli coaches are crap,and everything in israel is crap,and israeli coaches are not worth to involed in football,dont understand football....i dont want to say like what it sound becuse its football forum.

theres no connactions between israeli coaches to abramovich like you said.

by the way. this rule ''director of football'' what the hell it means? ''such a title'' who knows. its not somthing that should worry you the fans. just some role in the management thats all.

6. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have no idea what you are talking about - then again nor do you.

7. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was hoping to get into the season before adopting what is technically called "Eddie-Blue-Pessimism" but I feel ill-boding as well; if Grant tries to go on the training pitch uninvited and tell players how to train, where to play etc:eek: :eek: :eek:

9. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D

but yeah, Grants role can only be described as a "go spy on Jose" role and then report back to Roman...

10. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: Grant Director of Football why not?

"Avram makes my life easier, he is a good guy. He wants to help people, he does not want to create problems for people. His job in general terms is to help people in different areas in the club. I am happy to have him in our structure. And, if I say I am happy, then I am happy. If I wasn't, then you would see me around the corner snarling."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2788625.ece

Good news. Good feelings at the club :D

11. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  12. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So I wonder when RA et al knew that Grant would be replacing Jose? I wonder who was responsible for our weak summer signings?

Grant hasn't really done much as a manager has he?

13. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    What are you talking about?

14. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    do you know who Harry Redknapp is?

The Israeli's stay on the south coast was a relatively short one, and Redknapp did not appear to shed too many tears when Grant left.

15. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Isn't he related to that good looking bloke that does commentary work for SKY?

16. Hala Madrid!

Hala Madrid! New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, he was the manager of Israel and in the WC06 qual' we didn't lose any game with france, swiss and Ireland in our group.

I wish him all the best, good luck.

17. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    the spice boy ! ?

the bottom line is as soon as Grant was director of football that was the end for Jose. Quicker than expected though. . .

18. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Exactly. Manager of Israel? In global/international terms that isn't very much is it really?

I wish him luck. I am a Chelsea fan. He is going to need lots of luck.

19. Hala Madrid!

Hala Madrid! New Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I know and I was surprised very much at that, because there are allot more "bigger" and "better" managers, but still, dont rule out him before you see him manage.

20. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Yes I do you patronising fool :rolleyes:

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Agreed, I can't think of many (any?) director of football / manager relationships that work.

Love the sig, and obviously I don't know anything for sure, but you have to think that quite a few of the players will be less than happy with this..

22. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well we still have some good players after all so he should manage to keep us in the top 4. But winning the league this season has to be doubtful.

As per usual Chelsea press the self destruct button. If Roman wants Avram Grant to be manager then he is the manager and so be it - but I do feel that he is fooling himself. Grant is probably a 'stop gap' until Hiddink or someone comes in though.

Back in July the writing was on the wall :
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6294364.stm

23. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose is dead, long live Jose. . .I think it will be like Diana dying again with the villain Roman in the Queens role ignoring the Chelsea fans. . .maybe eventually Roman will break his silence and actually speak to the fans?

Flags at half mast.

24. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    Oh, I hope not. I'm not sure I'm not sure if I could take daily centre page spreads in the Daily Mail / Express wishing Jose was still the manager, explaining the latest theory about why he was sacked, and was he really pregnant with Alex Ferguson's love child...

Ok, that analogy might have faltered towards the end.

25. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D :D

. . .I just want to hear what the mysterious Roman actually sounds like