GRAMENET vs FC Barcelona [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by njonkers, Oct 28, 2004.

1. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know what to say... :eek:

2. Saviola7

Saviola7 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Leiden, NL
    well at least now we can focus on the La Liga and Champions League ...

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    hey, alright!
    another barca fan in ontario!

4. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Good point. I didnt watch the game but from reports it seems Barca way "very tired" and unlucky. But is always bad to lose against 3rd class team. I think it is better to lose now than in semi-final-in the end only the winner counts. We are without 1/3 of the team. I think now will be much easier for Barca, two competitions instead od three.
    Cant won all at once, two trophys in one season is still good enough for me :D

5. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    They said after the match:

GIOVANNI VAN BRONCKHORST

"We didn't play at our best and we found it hard to score. In the second half we used the long ball a lot and created more chances, but couldn't put them away. Finally, they hit us on a counter attack and got the goal, now though we just have to put the defeat behind us and concentrate on Saturday's tough game in Bilbao".

OLEGUER PRESAS

"It was a tough game on a very tight, little pitch, but as professionals, we have to be prepared for defeats like this and keep mentally strong for the other competitions. We just couldn't score, despite all our efforts, the ball wouldn't go in, but you can't criticise the team's efforts, we gave all we could".

CARLES PUYOL

"We didn't play badly at all. In the first half, we stuck to our game, trying to pass through them, but they were well organised. They hurt us especially with their marking of Iniesta and Xavi. We had our chances, but we couldn't score. For now it's well done and good luck to Gramanet this is a blow for us, but we have to keep on fighting and look to the future".

LIONEL MESSI

"This has hit us hard the defeat and the elimination. They just closed up at the back all game and made it hard for us to play".

6. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    From Barca site:

Rijkaard: "The players gave their all"

Despite the defeat on Wednesday night, boss Frank Rijkaard stressed the hard working attitude of his players: "they gave their all. We made plenty of chances, but just couldn't get a goal".

Rijkaard had warned before the game that Gramanet wouldn't be a pushover and that they'd be bound to come out highly motivated and with a fighting spirit, but afterwards he was able to pick on the positive elements in his own team's performance: "we started well, playing at a fast pace, but maybe we liked that killer instinct up front. We sorted that out in the second half, with a more direct approach and we made four or five very good openings, at least one of which you'd have expected to end in a goal. But it just wasn't to be tonight"

Hard work, but no win

Rijkaard had no complaints about his players: "the team worked very hard throughout and, without singling out any individual, they all put in strong performances. Just because Gramanet came out hungry for a win, doesn't mean we didn't work hard at our game. We went out to win, but tonight just wasn't our night. These things happen in football to any team who are otherwise playing well. We don't need to make this into a crisis".

7. elchico

elchico Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Lebanon
    Well, I saw the whole game...even though the score was still tied way into extra time, I never imagined we'd lose...one counter and it was over. But, like everyone else here, I a very big positive spin out of this. The Cup is really 3rd priority, and with the very extremely short staff that we've got, I don't think anyone is all that sad. We did create some chances in the game, but nothing really outstanding, except for some typical Larsson headers which he usually 100% barries. Other than that, Gram defended exceptionaly well...it was a game that a man like Ronaldinho could have decided with one crazy moment...just like last year.

8. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Barça came up expecting to roll over Gramanet but came up against a team that we really up for the game and defended courageously. Their goalkeeper had a blinder and stopped everything Barça threw at them.

It was a sloppy game for Barça though. They didn't move the ball around very well. Lots of lazy balls hoofed out of the back. Iniesta & Messi were good. Larsson was unlucky. Marquez really stirred things up. At least we learned a few things from yesterday's debacle:

•Oleguer cannot play wide
    •There is a reason Navarro doesn't play much
    • Ruben should not even be a second choice keeper at this juncture in his career

9. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Ruben is not second choice kepper, this place belongs to Jorquera. But he is injured. I was also ont impressed with Oleguer in last few matches. He makes to many mistakes when he shouldnt. He will have to show much more if he wants to keep the place once Edmilson comes back.

Its shame that we are out of Cup becouse in such matches young players get a chance. Now with Barca out of Cup I dont think Messi and Co. will get much chance to play in higer level. That is the only bad think about being out of cup now. But as I said before, perhaps is good for the team that is out. Barca has to much problems with injuries... Now we can concentrate on La Liga and CL.

Forza Blaugrana

10. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Exactly. If Jorquera is going to be out a couple more months, it might be smart of them to find a veteran keeper to put on the books in case Valdes goes down injured. If he goes down, then there's a real problem.

11. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

how about we get bonano?

hahahahah:D