Graduate Sues College for Not Finding Her a Job

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Dr. Wankler, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Given that we tend to sue over anything, it was inevitable that someone would eventually hit on this idea.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new.york.jobless.graduate/

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Some interesting commentary here from Inside Higher Ed

http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/confessions_of_a_community_college_dean/suing_the_alma_mater

At the most basic level, colleges are not employment offices. While they often have Career Services offices to help people find jobs, 'help' is the key word. Absent some really serious fraud, there are no guarantees. The article quoted the student accusing the college as follows:

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

Um, no. That's not what they're supposed to say (or do). (The article goes on to mention that the student had a 2.7 GPA, and has landed two interviews but no offers.) They're supposed to coach you on your resume, help with some interview tips, and provide some resources for you to start looking. Beyond that, it's up to you.

In fact, landing two interviews within three months of graduation with a 2.7 GPA in the midst of the Great Recession isn't bad at all.

2. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2.7? 2.7?!?!!!!?!! This lady blows my mind. I graduated with a 3.8 in May, have had five interviews, and only one (unacceptable) offer. Can I sue my university?

3. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I got a 3.7, and probably a 3.9 in my major, though i haven't checked. I have a year to graduation, then 1 1/2 years of grad school. If I can't get at least a teaching assistant job after then, I can sue both! :D

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I emailed this article to Career Services.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You might want to send these two as well:

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/e...-Job-to-Jobless-Graduate-Suing-Monroe-College

"Either Ms Thompson is a cunning out of the box thinker and we want her," said Bellamy "or she isn't, and her postiion would not last long. Either way, the law suit would no longer be clogging up the courts because there are now no damages. She now has a bonifide job offer. She just needs to call us and go over the details. But it is real and valid. If she is this fiesty, we'll try her out. But if she is playing the victim card and pushing her problems onto everyone else - then her job wouldn't likely last long.

And...

http://www.theskichannel.com/news/s...ent-Trina-Thompson-Who-Is-Suing-College-a-Job

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one will hire her now. She'll sue you if she doesn't get the promotion she thinks she should get.

7. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one was hiring her before.

8. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I had a girlfriend who was stalking me and to go so far as apply to the same grad schools I did. Sadly she was accepted. Could I have sued the school for letting her in the same grad program? :rolleyes:

9. HealeyFan

HealeyFan New Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Promises in a college catalogue can be held to constitute a contract. This woman might be able to recover if the college offered her no job placement services or such poor job placement services as to amount to none. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i've got some bad news for you. it's more likely that when her career goes wobbly she'll sue you for enticing her to go to the wrong grad school!

11. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If someone called me and gave that information - a "good" attendance and "all right" GPA - I'd be hard-pressed to find any reason to give her an interview.

... Unless we were looking for someone to make coffee and do some occasional filing.
    I might be a little harsh with that comment. They can also get us cake during meetings.

12. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    woah dude! in our office we take making coffee very seriously. filing? ever hear about the paperless office? so where does that leave ms thomas? a mind is a terrible thing to waste, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    sadly, you are probably right :confused:

14. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm really surprised about is that this didn't happen at a law school first. Given the shortage of legal jobs, the consternation lately about whether a law degree is worthwhile, and the fact that law students seem to sue their schools a little more often than other types of students, I'd have thought it was inevitable that someone would sue, even if their chances of winning were barely above nil.