Grade the US against Mexico

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Huss, Mar 28, 2005.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went for "C." It sucked, but it wasn't as bad as the Haiti game in Miami or Panama at Panama.

2. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
  3. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This is easy:

A is for a clean-slate win.

B is for a win.

C is for so-so: a tie.

F is for losers.

What part of 'loser' do we not understand?

4. WarpedTheory

WarpedTheory New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Jacksonville, Florid
    I would give it a C or C-. But you can play a great game and still lose, only example that comes to mine is when Arsenal played Tottenham, and the scored ended up around 5-4 if I recall correctly. Tottenham played a great game, and wouldn't deserve the grade of an F even though they lost.

5. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Ummmmmmmmm yeah

6. ???
    Which game did you see on Sunday??

7. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    C. Bringing a C game to Azteca will come out to a loss every time. a B game might get a draw, and it will take nothing less than an A game to get a win. (and this with Mexico not playing an A game themselves)

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's "D"?

I guess I'll pick "C" because I don't think it was an "F". But "C" seems generous.

9. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems right to me. What galls me is that much of our C performance was self-inflicted. I won't say more about the decisions made until I see what BA comes up with for Guatemala. Maybe there's more to this.

10. J.A.

J.A. New Member

May 10, 2003
    Denver
    F period

To me if they tied, and played hard to deserve the result, I'd give them a C.
    These guys were spent after the 15th.
    Reyna's my all time fav player and he looked like he needed a bed and an oxygen tank. Poor prepreation, poor game plan, poor performance. The worst sence France '98.

Kasey Keller gets an A. He had more touches than anyone else.

11. Keeper 77

Keeper 77 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Denton
    I'll give Keller a B+. He saved our a$$ more than once.

The rest of the team I'll hand a C/C-. While the sky is not falling, the performance was nothing greater than average, at best. I know some people were out of position and some young guys stepped in to play, but they looked flat and seemed to lack heart for the entire first half.

Here's to a more inspired turn out on Wed.

12. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well Keller did fine but second goal could have been saved if he reads the cross better and stays in goal, partialy his blame that could have been saved as well

13. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Republic of Texas agrees.

Back from Europe where we attended a Chelsea's game.

Bruce messed it up. The right mentality wasn't there. Being Mexican I can attest to the fact that in due time there will be no argument about US' chances to win time after time.

This rivalry will only increase in proportion to quality and improvement. In essence, is good for Mexico if the US gets better and vice versa...

Let's wait for Columbus...

We are in the best of two worlds... Now we cheer for US, but, if Mexico wins, we can live with it... for a while...

14. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    Re: Where's "D"?

A grade of “C” is indeed too generous. They were pushed around and out hustled by a bunch of Mexican thugs, led by “El A$$hole”, Blanco. A rating of “D” or perhaps even an “F” is more appropriate. Losing a match is one thing; being out worked is another. There is one exception, however; once again Keller gave a virtuoso performance.

15. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Re: Where's "D"?

You guys played like the way we played in Dallas and lost 1 - 0 to the usa at the cotton bowl! We have our differences!

16. axnjxn

axnjxn New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Charleston WV USA
    C is the best they deserve, defense was poor, they got ran over numerous times and on the offensive side they forgot to play up to expectations.

17. FLsavages

FLsavages New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    F.L. New Jersey
    Grade wise give them a "C-"... It was hard to watch. They just did not appear to have it all together.

However we showed how easily Mexico can be beaten when we got our only goal. We made three or four nice passes and before the Tri new what hit them we were at the top of the 18 and burying the ball in the net! Mark my words, other countries will learn from our experience. Mexico will be lucky to qualify for Germany.

18. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    They already have!!

19. eacorletto

eacorletto New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    F
    I think we failed. Coaching staff and players.

20. DanteSoccer

DanteSoccer WC 86, 94, 02, 06

Feb 24, 2005
    Dallas
    Many of you guys act like playing soccer at 7,000+ feet on a hot day is easy.

Let me tell ya, it's a ball breaker. Your lungs burn and the legs feel full of lead.

I respect of all you, really. But many of you have not given the Mexican team any credit or taken into account the altitude. No way. The US team knew going in that it was going to be a tough tough game. This is why they played a conservative plan. Before going to Mexico for the game I was confident the US would win. But once there I realized it wasn't going to be easy.

My two cents; BA was going for a tie. He almost had it except of the major mistake on the second goal. We were lucky they didn't score 5 or 6 goals.

I was at field level at midfield. Claudio was seriously huffing and puffing. I have a different appreciation for Eddie Lewis now. The guy played his heart out. But he too was beat toward the end. But he never gave up.

My score: B-

All of you think back in time to one of your own games... a hot day against a very good team inspired to beat the hell out of you. Cuatemoc Blanco looked like a caged tiger pacing up and down the field. Did you see anyone on our team playing with the same ferocity? No, they were trying to catch their next breath. With a couple of better defenders we still could have pulled a tie.

21. babbel

babbel New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Clearwater/fl
    I think that since the USA are 0-22-2 (0 being the amount of wins) it went as well as could be expected.As soon as the U.S play mpre quality competition
    that 0 might turn into 5 or 6 wins.I give the U.S a F minus for never winnig at the Azteca Stadium.............. :cool:

22. tiagoportugal

tiagoportugal New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    newark,NJ usa
    USA sucks if you were to play portugal today u would loose kiss ure world cup hopes good bye mexico was rockin yous hahaha :D

23. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    :mad: How could anyone give an A? This game wasa big step back we looked bad I mean so bad I was sick to my stomach. I get mad when we lose but, I didn't even care on Sunday the team looked so bad that we should of lost by 3 or 5 goals.

Keller is no Brad Freidal come back Brad. C+
    Def. D-
    Mid. D
    For. D-
    Heart none there was no heart thegame was a joke we sucked and they won man I hope Eddie Pope comes back and Berhalter vanishes.

Give some of the kids a chance!!!!!! Bring in some of the kids time to give Marshall a chance bring in ADU it's time to think about the future. Noonan and Ching, Dempsey. I hope we win on Wed. 4-0

24. Sharpieman

Sharpieman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Near SF, California
    Still bitter? :D

25. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    This guy lives in the armpit of the Western Free World, Newark, N.J. Please, don't give his unsolicited opinion any value. If it's so bad here "Tiga", go back to wherever you came from and learn how to spell. :D