GOTW Statistics

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Colonial717, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    So I am going to do a Scaryice impersonation with the Goal of the Week data. This came out of a discussion on the DC United boards after the Erpen Goalazo. Somebody asked if Meola was the goal keeper that has had the most Goal of the Weeks scored on him. He is not. But anyways, here are some statistics that I put together. Take it for what its worth (fan voting) and discuss.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ahh, very good.
    Thanks for getting the data, as it was my question. I'm too lazy to do the research myself.

It's no surprise to me that DC and LA are on the top of the list, as I consider them the two most popular teams in the US. It's a popularity contest you know...

RSL sure had some pretty goals and dedicated fans to have gotten it 8 times as well.

The usual suspects are there for the players who've scored it the most.

I wasn't expecting Ring and Guzan to top the list of most scored-upon. I was expecting the result to be those keepers that have been around for a long time, i.e. Meola, Hartmann, Cannon, etc.

3. ariadland

ariadland New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Durham, NC
    I think it is funny that people expect it to be anything different than a popularity contest.

I mean, seriously, what scale would you use?

technical difficulty? that's impossible to quantify. aesthetic beauty? good luck with that. what about importance of the goal to the game, or the quality of the players involved, or the importance of the game itself?

the fact is is that there is no good way to do it, so popularity serves us well enough.

4. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty goals are just that. RSL surprises. I would think. With numbers like that. Team would produce more dominance.
    I thought. Mr. Noonan's volley last year is a snub but that is way of the ball. Everything else is a far closeness. Big ol' goalkeeper at Chicago and Razzle dazzle in New England counts. Chivas with anti-english sentiment in which is currently changing. You just cannot get stuff like this in the paper....