Gotoku Sakai, now at Hamburger SV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheJester525, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Is he even USA eligible or even sort of interested? If not then why does this thread still exist?

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be a citizen of another country, but if he is also a citizen of the USA, he is eligible for this forum, even if he plays for the other NT.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25143101&postcount=1

The criteria that DMN uses, in his post (2nd paragraph), are the same criteria that have been used in this forum for a very long time.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He was...

[​IMG]

So he's definitely a Yank.

He's only provisionally cap-tied to Japan, so he could switch to the US.

As for if he's interested, I have no evidence one way or the other aside from the fact that he's never actually represented the US. I suspect Japan is his first choice, but I have no idea where he stands on their depth chart.

I suspect it's a long-shot he ever plays for the US, but it was once a long shot that Fabian Johnson, Jermaine Jones and Edgar Castillo play for for the US, so you never know.

Given our current coach's connections and influence in Germany and the fact that The Salmon (Note: my nickname, as far as I know his friends don't call him that!) plays in Germany, I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow surfaces in a US camp.

5. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    At least change the title of the thread. It's obsolete.

1 person likes this.
  6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was mentioned before, but Japanese law does not permit dual citizenship. A person must decide by age 22 (or continue to try to become only a Japanese citizen)

Now this is very difficult to enforce and the Japanese law cannot affect US citizenship.

But who knows? Maybe he actually has followed the law and renounced his US citizenship. I have a tough time considering a player a Yank if it is technically against the law in the country he lives/plays for to hold US citizenship.

But the big point is that it is extremely unlikely that if he does actually keep his US citizenship, he will then flaunt it in the face of the Japanese law to the tune of playing for another national team. That is just something I don't see happening - especially since Japan and the United States are roughly equal in terms of international stature

I am all for US Soccer exploring all options, but this one is such an extreme long shot.

It's much longer of a shot for the US to land Sakai than for them to get Henley, Potts, Delaney, Ponce, Parker, Hurzeler, and all other young players currently leaning towards playing for another country COMBINED.

Best for anyone not to get their hopes up

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I chuckle thinking of Preston Zimmerman's reaction to this.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    What's funny is the fact that he's also eligible for the German NT, his mother is German, and he plays in the bundesliga, actually gets people's hopes up that he'll play for us even more. PZ eat your heart out.

I'm pretty sure we'd be his third choice.

9. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He looks to be a solid player. He was very impressive getting forward in the few games I have seen him play. IMO he would be wise to stick with Japan, because that team could be scary good in 2 years at the World Cup. Especially since they finally found a tall target striker in Mike Havenaar.

Anyone else find it funny that so many players that are solid leftbacks are dual nationals who would probably choose another national team, while the US is still searching for a player at left back. (Johnson and Chandler are probably better at other positions)

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is extremely difficult to renounce US citizenship and it is easy to get it back. Most times even if someone does follow the proper procedure the US government still considers them a citizen.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Yeah, but does Japan let him keep his Japanese citizenship if at the same time he's "trying to renounce" US citizenship, he's playing for the US national team? :)

It's one thing to hope he plays for us when he hasn't expressed the slightest interest in us, but another to expect him to flout his country's laws into the bargain.

12. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuttgart finished 6th & will compete in Europa League qualifying next season.

Sakai started the last 14 games, earning 2 assists in the season-ending 3-2 win over VfL Wolfsburg to bring his tally for the season to 5.

14. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Wrons

Wrons New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    North Carolina, United States
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw him play against Spain and he was defending really strongly. He was causing Spain lots of problems that lead to many counter attacks by Japan. I would love to see him for the USMNT but it seems unlikely. Klinsmann really needs to at least test the water with this guy, he would be an excellent player for us moving forward.

prowazekii repped this.
  16. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    If he's playing for the Japan U-23 team, he is not going to play for the US.

17. Wrons

Wrons New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    North Carolina, United States
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is unlikely but if he wants he could switch to the USA, but again very unlikely. Edgar Castillo played for the Mexico u-23 team and then switched to the USA. It will all depend on what happens in the next few years.

18. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    plus, with Shinji Okazaki taking him under his wing at Stuttgart. There's no chance of him changing sides.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sakai was quoted today saying he'd be happy if Jogi Löw gave him a call. He's apparently pissed about the way he was treated in Japan's national team, He's "not happy about it".

21. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    From what I saw last season, if he can be consistent throughout a match and the entire season than he can be one of the best attacking fullbacks in the Bundesliga. His technical ability is very impressive. Would be nice if he became a Yank but thats for another forum.

22. 1-6-3

1-6-3 Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    http://www.stuttgarter-nachrichten....and.940d0d49-4298-4d7e-87ca-7254ae2ea6c1.html

It's mostly about all the time he's spent with the Olympic team and the match with Venezuela hurting his chances for starting on opening day. Watching Japan it's weird how they didn't use a BL starter until the other Sakai was injured, on the full team it's more understandable. Curious if he'll be on the next Japan qualifier, you can never have enough left backs...

23. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy he hasn't been capped for the full senior National Team yet. Also would be funny if Löw called him up before he called Chandler.

24. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a good time for Klinsi to send him a fruit basket.

Winoman and stonejh127 repped this.
  25. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well he is a Swabian dude. I'm sure he has some friendly contacts at Stuttgart.