Got Game?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Jul 5, 2004.

1. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    Alright...so after hanging out with my little brother this weekend, I'm curious how many of you are video game players. Now, it doesn't matter whether you are "hardcore" or if you play bridge once a month online.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
    madhoman

2. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    For the record, I don't know that I could live without my PS2 :)

3. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I play PC PS2 Xbox Online Games etc. I've gone through 5 ps2's Fu<kin things piss me off so much!

4. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    what games do you like?

5. deurges

deurges New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    I do most of my gaming on the PS2 as I've jsut started upgrading my system....the game I play most at least 30 min every other day...(usually more than that though) is Winning Eleven 7. Most of the other games I have are RPG and strategy games. Looking forward to hopefully March's Winning Eleven 8....Greatest Football game ever while the 2nd greatest is Winning Eleven 6....

6. madhoman

madhoman New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    NYC
    WE7 is deadly. Pop it in and prepare to lose hours. I had the luck o working on the game with Konami in my former life. CAn't rave enough about it.

7. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PS2, I only play sports games except for Metal Gear Solid and LOTR.

8. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    WE 7 or Pro Evolution 3 as it's called over here is the best football game, ever.

Have an Xbox now though so I'm going to miss it, but KOTOR, Halo and Ninja Gaiden are class acts.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tiger Woods 2004 makes crack look like cough syrup.

10. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    yeah i love my p.s.2,checking my memory card the other day i noticed i'd clocked up over a 117 hours on ffx.can't even imagine how much of my life has been sucked up by the little bugger over the last few years.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Where's cards on the list?

Sachin

12. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is Winning Eleven the same as Pro Evolution?? If so i completely agree Pro Evolution is the best football game ever created, such good gameplay!

I also like to play, Fight Night 2004, Madden 2004 (even though im from England), GTA 3, Vice City and hopefully San Andreas soon, Syphon Filter etc. great games so time consuming.

For the Pc i love the game FA Premier League Manager 2002, it is 2 years old but i update it all every season, and i like Age of Empires 1 2 and the expansions and finally Commandos because i am a fan of History.

13. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the real game - with a ball and other people. :cool:

14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, and I play tournament bridge with real cards and people, too. My little brother is into games with a real ball, too. He's a retired school teacher.

15. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    yup same game,and your right it is the best footie game money can buy....

16. DirtyDTown

DirtyDTown New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dallas
    Nothing better than spanking Sooners, Arsenal, and anyone that uses the Kings online. I'm a NCAA football, FIFA, NBA Live, and Tiger Woods fiend!! Winning Eleven and Fight Night can lock me down also.

17. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like FIFA games on the PC because you can customize it a lot. I like being able to create teams, tournaments, and change player ratings. When I first open the box of the latest edition, I go directly to the edit player mode to check out the ratings. My first target is Zidane, gotta bump him up to perfect, then Donovan, who I have to bump to at least 80, relative to some other Europe-based players. Then I edit and create teams, players, and tournaments as I go. Sometimes you've gotta add the third jersey for your team. I probably spend almost as much time setting up the game as I go as I do playing it.

18. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    You can do the same thing with Pro Evo 3 or WE 7 or wtf it's called. I built Leyton Orient complete with the right kit and crew names. Good fun.

The only downside to this is you have to play in the open sewer that is Highbury. Although at least it's called the 'North East Stadium'.

19. deurges

deurges New Member

Jul 16, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    I prefer playing in Highbury Stadium and giving the spurs a beating :)
    As well as letting Chelsea score one goal and beating them 2-1 at the end of the match.

Along with beating Real Madrid with my other team of Valencia

20. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    Here's my advice for the makers of Winning Eleven: "Go big or go home." I'm not going to buy any soccer game that doesn't have an MLS license, period, full stop.

If I can't open the box, pop it in my PS2, and immediately start up a full season of MLS action with real team names, uniforms, and players, you haven't done your job. I'll spend my money on a finished product, thank you very much.

While I'm at it, here are some other gripes I have for makers of soccer games:

1. Announcers: learn to pronounce our players' names. "Bocanegra" is pronounced "Bo ka nay gra", not "Bokkaneegra" or some other abomination. "Wolff" is pronounced like wolf, not like "Volf", thats why the Mexican announcers call him "El Hombre Lobo." Most teams provide a pronunciation guide on their roster. Use it.

2. (I'm looking at you, EA...) If I qualify a team for the World Cup, I expect to be able to play in the World Cup. When you play Madden, do you have to pay an extra $50 to play in the Superbowl? I think not.

2a. (I'm giving you an icy glare, EA...) If you're going to wimp out on the World Cup option, give me the tools to create the World Cup as a torunament, including the option to set the groups by hand if I want to recreate the actual draw.

3. Call up the national team players when I'm playing in full-season-mode. MLS plays through international dates and the World Cup. Have the Nats players go missing during the appropriate matches. If I change the Nats roster, change the people who get called up. Heck, if I've got a hot player, have a chance that he gets called up for a look during friendlies.

4. Give me my Open Cup. If fans of EPL teams get to play in the FA Cup, I should get my LHUSOC.

5. If you're going to put in real stadiums, give me some american options.

6. Ditto for chants. It would be too sweet to hear Section 8 in full chorus during a Fire game.

7. How about this for an unlockable: More dialog. If I play long enough or do well enough, the announcers introduce new comments into the rotation so that I don't have to hear the same thing ad naseum.

21. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Didn't konami produce a special MLS version based around the WE engine?

22. junkie_xl

junkie_xl New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    nyny
    winning eleven is primarily created for the japanese and european markets
    so MLS is hardly their priority. there are tons of mods created by a very talented community so its a matter of just downloading a mod pack and you can play any league you want.

fifa is an arcade game and doesnt have any pretentions to be a sim. if you want realism and faithful re-production of the mechanics of soccer w11/pes cannot be touched. its not even close.

23. BurnSC89

BurnSC89 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Cameron, TX
    I think they did a few years ago. They worked with the ESPN games department, and essentially made an MLS version of WE with true-to-life stadiums and jerseys. However, they only made it for two seasons, 2001 and 2002. There just wasn't, and probably still isn't, the market for an MLS game. And I must agree that WE7 is the best game made for the sport. One last thing. If you want to download the mods for MLS and other leagues for the PS2 version, you're going to need an X-Port for the PC or a USB flash memory drive for the PS2 so that you can move information from your memory card to the PC and back. All we need now is a stadium creator/editor.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EA sucks. I have heard that SI is coming out with a MLS version of CM. Should be good stuff.

XBOX version could have this stuff downloadable for Xbox live. Not a bad idea. Or unlock more announcers, each with their own different commentary.

25. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    There will be eventually. The ideal situation would be for Sony to gather all the rights in one package, a la Gran Turismo, and poach Konami's staff or do it as somekind of joint enterprise.

I'm sure eventually you will see a WE type game where every first division national league is featured along with every stadium. Ideally, a FIFA level glossy product with konami's game engine and CM's stats.