Gosh that Essien fellow's rather good, isn't he?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by mshankb, Sep 21, 2005.

1. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was dubious but what I've seen of him has been fantastic - better than Gerrard!

Time will tell and it may just be a purple patch but I'm glad to have - so far - been proven wrong.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He plays very much like a younger Vieira.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    That bastard hasn't scored once for my EPL fantasy team. Surely he must suck. :D

4. babyfood

babyfood New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Was it Essien or Makelele who lost possession in our own half in the Charlton game that led to a good opportunity for the opponent? (I couldnt tell who it was..)

Essien is a perfect player for EPL and Chelsea. He is strong, fast, has good vision and his pass is not bad at all. As Lampard is not in top form right now, he is the key for us to control the midfield.

Hi all, I am new to the board!

5. JoshDB

JoshDB New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Washington State
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Essien. First mistake I saw from him in all the games hes played for Chelsea...

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Welcome to the board. :)
    What's impressed me most about Essien is actually his passing. Its surprisingly good, like those two lovely balls to Crespo in the Charlton game.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Welcome. Essien has been phenomenal for us and i just hope that he can only get better.

8. babyfood

babyfood New Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    do anyone know if Essien long range passing is good or not? I didnt follow Lyon's game that much. Or we'll just have to rely on Frankie when he is back in form? Imagine if both Frankie and Essien can put a accurate long pass for our wingers to run, it would be very hard to defend as both of them can initiate the counter-attack.. (well of course JT's long pass is not bad too)

So Essien is in the starting XI now, I guess Eidur will be the first one to replace them if one of Frank and Essien is out. Well then who would be the next one in the line? Joe Cole? (or will he remain as a winger all season?)

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Honestly, i can only remember short to middle-range passes by Essien and they were very accurate. I haven't seen him pass too many long balls and for his role, i don't really think he nneds to. However, i'm sure he is capable of more then what we have seen.
    As for Eidur, it's tough to say. He's had a soar throat for a while now and should be fit by this weekend. I could see him replacing Essien, don't know about Frankie. As for Joe Cole, as long as everyone is healthy, i don't see him in any other role than a winger, unless he plays in the middle when Jose might give Frankie the rest for CC games.

10. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Essien had a very good game.He's continously picking the MOM awards.Did you see how comfrotably he slotted in at left back when Carvallho was taken out? He's everywhere on the field,and he doesn't seem to get tired.Am really beginning to think its better we got him not Gerrard.

11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002

Agreed. Eissien looks like he is worth every penny. I still rate Gerrard higher but Eissen is younger and wont get himself hurt by stealing hubcaps.

12. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Essien looks like he will be sharing a lot of the work with Makelele, but getting forward much more. But, he will also allow Makelele the odd foray forward. I predict Makelele will get another goal this season.

13. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004

I personally think J. Cole is better in the middle. His passing is very underrated, he's got more agility and better ball control than Essien or Lampard, but he doesn't, IMO, have the pace to be a very effective winger, and his crossing is not great.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I agree that JCole is not a very effective winger, but i definitely do not think he has better ball control than either Frankie or Essien. Cole should ideally be playing b/w a striker and the midfield. There's no such position in our formation, thus Jose doesn't play him very often this year. Last year, with Robben out for long periods, he played as a winger, but in reality, played through the center a lot more than a typical winger would.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I hope he is practicing penalty kicks every day. :D

16. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Better than Gerrard after what 7 games ? Sure your not going overboard there?

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That's why he said "from what I've seen of him".

18. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Maybe J. Cole doesn't have better ball control than Essien or Lampard, but he does have more natural agility that allows him to make quick turns, change directions quickly, etc., and that can be very useful in the middle of a crowded midfield. Lamps and Essien are certainly better CM's, but I think J. Cole provides a different option for the middle of the park, which is his strongest position, IMO.

19. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ah right that justifys it. I think Aaron Lennon is better than Lampard from what I've seen this season. :)

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, although Aaron Lennon didn't win player of the year in France, now did he. ;)
    Frankly, if you've watched Essien this season, he's looked absolutely fantastic.

21. bluemen groupee

bluemen groupee New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    westside
    I think Essien's defensive and possesional skills approach Makalele's. And his passing is up there too. Maybe he doesn't quite have the touch that Lampard has on the long-range passes but in the short and medium range, he's spot on every time. Where Essien lacks compared to Lampard and Gerrard is in his shot and the ability to create space for himself in/around the box. Finally, Essien's durability and work-rate is as good as anyone I've seen in the Premiership.

22. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    does he really need to practise when he will just "miss" again and prod in the parry so it goes down as a goal from open play. ;)

23. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Oh my GOD.

I miss-read the title of this thread. Thought it said "Einstein", which was somewhat perplexing, and then I read that opening quote and was even MORE confused!. Finally spotted my error and felt rather silly lol :)

24. gomez

gomez New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Now that would just be plain silly Dave. Einstein is obviously better than the whole of Merseyside.

25. 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS

Mar 19, 2005
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah nice one I'm sure there was someone "better" than him where your from though.

Do me a favour though define better as I doubt he was better at football than Gerrard or Essien which is the context of this particluar thread.

My toaster is better than you.