Gore Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    http://www.cnn.com

Just heard on the news. No link yet. I suppose congratulations are in order... but I haven't yet figured out what Climate Change/Global Warming has to do with peace...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Pretty simple, actually. Google "global warming war". Here's one of many articles on the internet.

Anyway, this is gonna spur another round of "Will Al Run?" and that's not good because it might actually get my hopes up.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I have nothing against Al Gore, but this seems like a bit of weird choice to me...

4. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wars are mostly economic and global warming is clearly affecting the allocation of resources such as water (too much showing up in some places and too little in others).

Congrats to Gore. He has done much to publicize and raise awareness of this critical long-term issue that most politicians are poorly equipped to handle. Maybe the dems will draft him! I might even consider voting for a major party candidate if they do.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Al Gore is the best candidate for the presidency, I really wish he would run. Congrats to him, and hopefully this will spur action on global warming here in America. We have to do what's right for the future of this country and the world, not what's most profitable.

6. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Think about this first time he ran for President he won pop vote.

He is for the enviorement.

Now he wins nobel peace prize. People like just the word peace now.

If he decides run now for President he could win.

7. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    It says more about the prize than it does about Gore.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I didn't realize it was the Nobel prize committee that elected the US president...

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    The Nobel Peace Prize (along with the Literature prize) is a joke that cheapens the value of the award for the deserving winners.

Oh, and Al Gore, President of the United States is waaaaaay bigger than Nobel Prize winner so get your butt in the race NOW before we nominate Hillary and give the Republicans a chance to squeak through.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I didn't really have a problem with this year's literature laureate.

11. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said in another thread, he isn't running. And he's really the only one who can put his visions of climate change and emissions control into real action.

Whatever.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I was commenting generally, thought perhaps a bit too harshly. The literature prize is vastly superior to the peace prize, but it's still far too political and subjective.

FWIW, I'm open to the possiblity that Gore deserves the peace prize.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This post is, sadly, too close to the truth. Gore might deserve it if he did more than "raise awareness" and make a documentary with a kick-ass powerpoint presentation in it. As it is, I don't get it. Well, I do get it. Which is what makes me sad.

14. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Okay talked me out of the idea fucck Gore then. After all didn't nobel invent gun powder? That put war into high gear with that invention.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course not. He did develop a smokeless type, tho.

Gore can look at himself in the mirror with genuine (and not false, as Reagan and both Bushes might) pride.

Gore ain't running. America doesn't want Hillary, they deserve more photos of coffins and more "accomplished" missions.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't see why the man would want to run again either. He already gave his people the chance to elect him, why should he feel obliged to put himself through the entire process again?

17. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    My mistake he invented a little thing called dynamite instead.

18. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Had he been President, he never would have received the NPP! :D

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That's pretty cool.

BTW, I happen to be the 43rd American to have genuine pride. I'm proud of that.

20. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Peace Prize is as much about advocacy as it is about accomplishment, and giving it to Gore instead of just the group of scientists who actually are doing the real work on it is meant to generate publicity.

It's a good topic to cover with a Peace Prize because of its economic & political impact, but giving the prize to Gore is like giving a James Beard Award to Ronald McDonald. And I say that as someone who generally likes Gore's post-2000 career. Besides, it's not like climate change isn't getting publicity -- I'd much prefer they give it to organizations like Grameen Bank every year.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe Al Gore should win the literature prize as well. Didn't he write a book on global warming?

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whooooooosh

Sitting in a big chair in a big oval office because stupid people mistakenly thought you deserved to be there (Reagan, GHW Bush) or because your brother and a top-heavy strumpet interfered on your behalf (dubya) is much less of an accomplishment than being awarded a Nobel in any field.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, not to mention that he also won an Oscar. A Nobel price from the intelligent Scandinavians and an Oscar from the brilliant minds in the movie industry has to be better than to be elected president by the stupid Americans, right?

Wait, didn't he also get a majority of the popular vote from the stupid Americans?

But seriously, congratulatins to Al Gore. Politics aside, Americans should be proud to have another Nobel prize winner.

24. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gore is a worthy successor to Yassir Arafat.

:D

Couldn't they have announced thing in the spring, after the nominees have been decided? How many days will we spend on the "Will Gore run?" news cycle?

25. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a Gore fan, but if he ran he could possibly knock Hillary off her pedastal, which is cool by me. That, and I would be ok with him as president.