Gordon. (long sigh)

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by KingsRule89, Apr 4, 2008.

1. KingsRule89

KingsRule89 New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Really?

That's all I have to say.......

2. teamsleep

teamsleep Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    pathetic. that's all i have to say. im speechless. Ruiz would have had a double hat trick tonight.

3. voltman

voltman Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I thought his hold-up play was solid at least.

4. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, somewhat decent.

Otherwise:

-he has no touch
    -has no idea how to head the ball
    -his "runs" suck
    -can't tie his shoes to save his life

This guy is minor league. He shouldn't even be on the reserves. We need an upgrade badly (besides what we have already..which isn't much).

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle has got to be a better choice than Snowshoes.

Memorable play of the night. Wicked passing combination puts Pires on the right side deep. Pires crosses to the center for an easy tap in by Gordon....who is thirty yards up field tieing his shoes.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The positive about Gordon is not so much his own play as how he affects the rest of the team: we seem to combine and move the ball better when Gordon is the target up front, rather than Ruiz. I suspect this is because Ruiz is so good in the air that we tend to lob crosses in looking for him all day, while, knowing Gordon's limitations, we actually try other ideas. Clearly a psychological issue, in my opinion. If we can continue playing like this when Ruiz is back in the lineup, then we'll be a lot more dangerous.

7. envisionz

envisionz Member

Apr 11, 2004
    So Cali
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gordon can't finish if his life depended on it..

8. howie1976

howie1976 Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Galaxy Nation
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Ruud, he thought Gordon was "the best player tonight" then he said he was one of the best. Take a listen for yourself.

http://sidelineviews.blogspot.com/2008/04/ruud-on-win.html

To tell you the truth I kinda of think he has a point. Yes I do agree with all of you that he should have had atleast 1 goal tonight, but I did see him busting his ass and holding the ball to ignite the attack. The way I see it, last year he did not hold the ball like this or attack. Hey, atleast he's being more productive this year. But like the rest of you I would have wished he got subbed out in the last 15 minutes. I would have liked to see Jordan's speed against SJ's backline.

9. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon busted his ass out there tonight. He shoulda had 1 at least tho...

10. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon busted his ass, but he definitely lacks the skills we need. He did hold the ball up well, and has learned to distribute quickly, but he's a mess with the ball at his feet, and his headers aren't all that hot either.

11. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He served his purpose: He got to the lobbed balls up front and created havoc on our offensive side of the field.

He's not a natural finisher.

Get used to it.

12. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he switches over to laceless boots (like the Lotto Zhero Gravity for example), that could fix at least one thing...

13. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    It looked like he had cramps starting the second half. I feel that when he was down on his knee, he was actually stretching. He played pretty solid. Not a finisher, but a solid holding fwd. He had two assists tonight. I feel that when you have 3 big heads on the field, things get cloudy. Take one of them out, and you have a smoother run of play (i.e. Ruiz). It ended up being my prediction though of who would be up top. Gordon should work on his finishing and then he will be better all around.

14. KingsRule89

KingsRule89 New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Dude i almost pissed myself reading that!

15. misspjfan

misspjfan New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Seriously! Even my 8 year old said "What is that guy doing?!!" That was pathetic!

16. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that people like Gordon because of his work rate, and how hard he tries, even Ruud praised him for this after the game... But the fact is, this is professional soccer- not AYSO. Trying hard doesn't cut it. Look, i hate as much as anyone else when players phone it in, or don't try their hardest, but simply trying hard is not enough at this level. Anyone can try their hardest. If I was on the Galaxy, I would "try hard". I like to think I would have put one of those chances away, but in all likliehood, I wouldn't. Thats why I am playing intra-mural soccer instead of MLS. The question is why is gordo playing in the mls? He has the size and the heart, but he just doesn't have the skills.

However, we really don't have that many better options right now. I honestly don't think Buddle will do much better. Maybe we should give Edson a go in the next game at the start. Or it might be better to start Gordon, give him 60 minutes, and then bring in Edson or Sesay for pace to go after the d's tired legs. I would like to see more of Sesay. He can't be worse than Gordon or Buddle, and he has the potential to be our future striker for years to come. Why not start getting him some experience now while ruiz is out?

17. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The only havoc he created was for the ball kids, making them chase his headers all around the stadium.

A target forward that cant finish is useless.

18. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the replay I now realize that he was getting booed. I was too drunk to realize it at the game lol.

19. BigT#20

BigT#20 New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Aiken, SC
    Toronto is looking to move Jeff Cunningham, Also seems LA and SJ are the main two target teams. This could save us until ruiz gets back and after that it could only get better. I guess a straight up deal for Jazic sounds good

EDIT: Source
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677367

20. Gamble

Gamble New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I wasted so much memory recording chances that Gordon got. I figured eventually he would just get lucky and score but boy was I wrong. Except for that header in the first half, he never got close to scoring. I lost my voice yelling obscenities at him all game long. Buddle or Jordan should be playing up top. What a disgrace

21. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy is what Thiago Martins was a few years ago...

Couldn't hit the broad side a barn door if his life depended on it.

I am shocked that he is still on the roster.

I bet there are several USL players that are considerably better. Gullitt has got to let this guy go.

Blown chances out the wazoooo! OMG!

22. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon played great last night. His work rate off the ball was insane. Two secondary assists from Gordon? Are you kidding me?? I will take that every damn game. He will definately have to finish better against better teams but I am happy with how he and the rest of the team played last night.

23. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Well, with Ruiz out, if I have to pick between Gordon and Buddle, I will take Gordon although he cannot finish. Neither can Buddle. At least Gordon can hold the ball and assist. Buddle is useless.

24. Aarondapastyman

Mar 9, 2008
    UK :(
    Gordon and Ruiz up front as a pair would be very good.

Big Alan can hold the ball up and create space for Ruiz to move into and take the chances when given to him.

And as long as keeps putting that level of effort in then we should be ok. :cool:

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I read Ruud's lips after one cockup: "What the fcuk was that?"