GOP Failure Watch Part VI (Majority in House Edition) The Insurrection Caucus Sh*tshow.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Putin would be fine with that. Not like they’d need to be in peak physical condition to catch bullets in Ukraine.

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The greatest irony is that a lot of defectors end up dying in misery over there. Philby drank himself to death in Russia, plenty of American leftists who moved to the Soviet Union in the 20s and 30s were executed (some tried to escape but alas), Martin and Mitchell weren't happy either, Oswald moved back to the US.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Long read, but in a gist, GQP now puts their insanity in writing:

https://www.hamiltonnolan.com/p/beh...s-republican?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Or the repeated harping on “The Great Reset,” a conspiracy theory on par with the idea that faceless global government soldiers are coming for your family:

31. Texas Resistance to The Great Reset: Texas should continue to pass legislation needed to protect the citizens of Texas from corporate violation of their rights in the Great Reset/Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) scheme as follows:

Add penalties in Texas law for corporations operating in Texas that lead or participate in boycotts against Texas due to legislative action to protect the rights of Texans to decline vaccination, protect the unborn, stop the teaching of Critical Race Theory in schools, compete in sports with only those of their own biological gender, or to protect children and juveniles against sexual organ mutilation, hormones, and puberty blockers designed to fake transition from one gender to another. Consider the expansion or use of existing Texas anti-trust law to prohibit collusion between woke corporations to cancel/drive others out of business.

You all sound very normal.

Texas should recognize the natural right to use currency of choice in the Texas Bill of Rights and provide choices for ordinary Texans to use gold and silver in everyday transactions.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Would someone please tell them:
    • they mean biological sex, not biological gender
    • the transition actually happens, so it is real, not fake
    • the transition is from one sex to another, not one gender to another

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  5. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Not to mention "children and juveniles" is absolute bullshit :rolleyes:

xtomx and Sounders78 repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In what way??? I need to see the details. There are lots of things we don’t let children do in this country, and that’s true in every country.

A while back there was a post about the minimum age for marriage in Missouri. A lot of kneejerks went apeshit about letting 16 and 17 year olds getting married. I’ll bet some of those same people are perfectly ok with 16 and 17 year olds getting sex change operations.

It’s easier to get out of a marriage than to reverse a sex change. So for those who mocked Missouri but are outraged now, how to do justify that? Schrodinger’s maturity?

7. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Please do research before commenting.

ElNaranja, xtomx, Pønch and 2 others repped this.
  8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is bullshit. Please identify one poster who has stated they are perfectly OK with 16 and 17 year olds getting gender reassignment surgery.

Your lack of understanding of how trans people get medical care and what care is available at what age is hindering your ability to contribute usefully to this conversation.

ElNaranja, InTheSun, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  9. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #8484 Sounders78, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024

And stop lying. We weren't going "apeshit" about letting 16 and 17 year olds getting married - that's already legal in the majority of states with parental consent.

edit: Most of the responses were along the lines of: "we don't let under 18s do a lot of things, so why would we let them get married? At what age are they emotionally mature enough to get married?" There is nothing "apeshit" about such responses.

xtomx repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, just to be clear…both of you think that any medical procedures needed for transitioning should be against the law until a child reaches 18. Is that your position?

Because my view was, I don’t know. It’s a technocratic question about what age a child becomes mature enough to make that decision. But you two believe that 17 is too young. Do I have that right?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the question was about the President, so that was inferred in my post.

Thanks for the clarification.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as if they learned nothing from the power grid failure of February 2021.

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change "medical procedures" to "surgery" and that's my opinion. Therapy (which is a medical procedure) and hormone therapy / "puberty blockers" (which are reversible) should be allowed for people under 18. Irreversible surgery can wait. Your original post said "sex change operations" and then in this post you said "medical procedures" which are different categories (with some overlap) - those terms are not interchangeable.

If you wanted to, you could educate yourself about what medical procedures are recommended for trans people at different ages in places where they aren't outlawed - I mean, that's what I did - or you can make things up about what you think other people think based on vibes. So far, you've chosen the latter.

roadkit, Pønch, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  14. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Well said.

xtomx repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I’ve posted lots of the actual medical care and guidelines before, and he looked at NONE of it, and still loves to (warning: SD word) catastrophize over things that are not happening.

May as we’ll argue with Auria about the best indie& punk music.

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to follow up on a couple of things:
    1) There's a bunch of things that are currently age-based which could be done in a technocratic manner, where we individually evaluate each person to determine if they are mature enough to, say, drive at age 15, or vote at age 17, or purchase alcohol at age 19. We don't do that, and it's not because the ages of 16 / 18 / 21 are magical barriers which change people forever when they cross and once that happens they are obviously mature enough to do the things that were restricted for them before their birthday. We don't do that because it's administratively unrealistic, approaching impossible. It's just easier to set an age and go "that's it for everyone, no exceptions". There's extreme examples like minors who legally emancipate themselves because their parents are terrible - those have to go through a lengthy complicated court process and are very much the exception and not the rule.

I'm fine with the age of 18 as a floor for when a trans person can get surgery. I would guess that the percentage of trans people who get surgery within, say, a month of their 18th birthday is way lower than the percentage of people who buy alcohol within a month of their 21st birthday, or the percentage of people who register to vote within a month of their 18th birthday. That last one is kind of skewed because of automatic voter registration in a bunch of states, but for the trans people I know, they weren't anxiously waiting for their 18th birthday to get surgery, they were much more concerned about being accepted as their preferred gender in social situations.

2) There's nowhere in this country where someone under 18 can get gender reassignment surgery. When the Texas Republican Party says they want to protect children and juveniles against sexual organ mutilation, they're creating a strawman, because that is not a thing that we need additional laws to prevent from happening - the current laws already prevent it. You don't have to listen to them, or take their argument in good faith, because they don't argue in good faith. They're Republicans, after all.

fatbastard, bigredfutbol, Pønch and 3 others repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Their intent is to erase and eliminate LGBT+ people in any and every way they can.

Our existence violates their beliefs of how people should exist and so they want to eliminate us. This is why they gleefully quote Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13 on a regular basis.

They believe LGBT+ people should not have the right to exist and they will do what they can to make it so.

Targeting trans people is low-hanging fruit, evidenced by people like superdave who will happily repeat what they say without so much as questioning its validity.

ElNaranja, xtomx and Smurfquake repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The other thing that strikes me, you know, is that people suiciding at 11 or 12 or 17 is not all that unusual-- just ask our Indian correspondent-- and we are not really making exceptional efforts to prevent this mostly; and that is far more drastic and erratic than this.

If a kid really wants this, someone should certainly face him up and say "This is your choice and it is a pretty big deal, and if it doesn't work out for you, you should not expect ex post facto sympathy from anyone; but it is your life and your choice. If you choose later no one will argue. but if you choose now, it is your choice and no one forced it on you. Just don't whine later." If it is seen in those terms I don't really see why an age restriction is needed at all...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

And consider the suicide rate of trans-youth who are not given the "space and grace" to be who they are.

Not only that, but you simply can't wake up and decide I'm going to have surgery today. The process of transition is neither short nor easy and is certainly not done on a whim.

Republicans (especially conservative Christians) have a very long history of blatantly lying about LGBT+ people. Why anyone would take them at face value on this is beyond me.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! Next thing you know, he's gonna say that Air Supply were more influential than the Ramones :ROFLMAO:

21. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Wait, did you think I was advocating for "children and juveniles" to be able to have sex change operations? Because I'm not. I'm calling bullshit on that happening at all.

EDIT: I see other folks covered it already

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is true in spite of them being able to have sex reassignment surgery before they turned 18.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, Jim Steinman was anyway... [flips switch on relativity cadenza.]

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    What I learned from the power grid failure in 1965 is that while in a grocery store you can eat all the fruit you want before checking out. Of course that was before spejic came on the scene. :cautious:

soccernutter repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I was there but since I was an infant when it happened I didn't learn a single thing. Youth is wasted on the young.

soccernutter, roby and bigredfutbol repped this.