GOP Failure Watch Part V (the Minority in Congress edition)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH I’m not so sure it’s a losing strategy. I wish it were otherwise but the talking points about how this is an income redistribution from the working class to the upper middle class, while largely bullshit, has gained a lot of traction.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Their current talking points (15 week national abortion ban, woke teachers, CRT, same sex marriage, and now student loan forgiveness), seem to be for their rabid voters, which I understand, they're less motivated than democrats at this point. What seems to be missing from the strategy, is the swing voters that they still can convince (yeah, not that many), but also how their tps actually motivate democrats even more.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all those other issues, yes--but unfortunately, I don't think those views on the student loan forgiveness issue is as restricted to their base as the others. A lot of independents and even many Democrats have bought into the disingenuous talking points which ignore how this policy will benefit many more POC and lower income students than the stereotypical middle class white kid with an advanced humanities degree, tens of thousands of dollars in debt, and no job prospects. Partly because the latter unfortunately made a lot more noise and got a lot more social media attention than the much greater number of lower-income students who got exploited by for-profit colleges and so forth.

Also, I'm unconvinced that the very people who were making the most noise about student loans will actually show up and vote Democratic this November. It would be great if they did, but young progressives are not known for voting in large numbers during midterm elections.

soccernutter and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I suspect as an issue that this doesn't last long. Now the Republicans have even less message discipline than the Democrats. Two weeks from now they will be complaining that tropical storms aren't named just after women anymore with the NWS displaying blatant prehistoric wokeness.

Deadtigers, Mike03, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should be named just after women. I mean, they’re not himicanes!

(I remember this joke from a coloring book of childrens jokes I had when I was like 6.)

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    More winning messaging!

Mike03 repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    That's heresy himesy! :eek:

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The mythological clitoris:

9. Mike03

Mike03 Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    A progressive superpac needs to run an ad blitz that shows an American flag lilting in a breeze with a scroll of all these asinine GOP quotes with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings playing in the background.

rslfanboy, xtomx, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I will donate a few bucks to that idea.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll, in this state it is a battle* of negative adverts, and our guy (Barnes) is losing the battle. Are we (Wisconsin) the norm or are there more then other places. I'm curious to see what everybody else sees.

And when I say battle, I'm thinking Stalingrad.

xtomx repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Safe to say that Ben Shapiro has NEVER made any woman "happy."

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And Marquitos didn’t even bother to vote:

usscouse and xtomx repped this.
  14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Man, I'm skeptical because the last few years have proven conventional wisdom isn't the end all be all. And I harbor a dislike for people who spout it as if it's set in stone.

Either way, GOP ain't doing themselves any favors right now, either. Whether it's Tudor Dixon and her views on abortion and rape, Kristina Karamo (Demons, sex, and threatening to kill her kids), or Dr. Oz (Fvck you, Oprah). Plus, the last six years has awakened an anger in the left wing that hasn't been seen in a long time.

Deadtigers and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Assuming you can find it. He hasn’t seen it in years.

song219 and ElNaranja repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Ted got visitation rights on January 21, 2021.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Every goddamn Democratic challenger must hammer this over and over and over again.

usscouse and Mike03 repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    She's in Macomb County right now, I imagine she's feeling right at home. Though I think Shelby Township might be more her tastes.

xtomx repped this.
  20. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Then we should honor their wishes for their Republican-voting constituents. Let them reap the fruit of their labor. Their Democrat-voting constituents should still receive the aid, however, as they are not to blame.

Deadtigers repped this.
  21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #3546 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Historic election with 2 gay men going head to head in NY-3. Let's check out the Republican's positions:

Santos doesn't have former President Donald Trump's endorsement but supports him and proudly admits Trump is part of the reason why he's running for Congress and went to the "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6.

"That was the most amazing crowd, and the president was at his full awesomeness that day," he said in an interview

Santos is against abortion and supports the so-called "Don't say gay bill" for education in Florida. Zimmerman is for abortion and adamantly against the Florida bill.

As polarizing as the candidates may be, when it comes to policies, they do strongly agree on at least one thing -- marriage equality and making sure it is not reversed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/new...ntos-face-off-in-historic-congressional-race/

Deadtigers and Sounders78 repped this.
  22. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was curious about the gay Republican, George Santos, so looked up his background on his campaign page.

• Jewish grandparents who fled persecution
    • Parents born in Brazil
    • Father with Angolan roots
    • Gay
    • Married
    • Catholic
    • 34 years old
    Won't he be surprised when his own party strips him of his rights, which they will the first chance they get. If only there were warning signs he could pay attention to, as his grandparents did.

onefineesq, Mike03, superdave and 4 others repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That tactic only works if Republican and independents have a sense of either shame or fairness. Hmmm, maybe. But if so, they have been hiding it pretty well.

Mike03 repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #3549 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Is there a Gays for Trump because he could be their leader.

I suspect he'll get thumped but have to see how much Nassau County is included in the district

Edit - It's Peter King's old seat so mostly LI. But has had 2 Dems for almost 10 years. Santos lost in '20 by roughly 10 pts & I don't think MAGA really sells on the North Shore.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I suppose it is only fitting that he was a regional director at a firm that was determined to operate as a Ponzi scheme.

He also bashed Ukraine:

Mike03, Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.