Goofy Article in Recreation News

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Funkfoot, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Some of you have probably seen the Recreation News, a free monthly paper that gets circulated in federal workplaces. The July issue has an article all about how Freddy Adu is leading "the" DCU out of obscurity. I know, any publicity is good publicity, and I'm not complaining. I just found some of this stuff so funny I wanted to share it. Here are some of the real howlers:

"One of the better kept secrets in a region not well known for its reticence in sharing confidential information is the DC United. If you think it's a new airline offering cheap rates from Washington, you probably aren't alone."

"The DC United play in the 6 team Eastern Division, battling the New England Revolution, the Columbus Crew, the Harbour View, the Chicago Fire (get it?), the Metro All-Stars, and the Kansas team it beat in the final last year."

"...remember Mia Hamm? and Brandi Chastain baring her sports bra after a victory in the 2000 Summer Olympics?"

On DCU's acquisition of Freddy Adu:
    "The DC United finagled a deal with Dallas to get first pick so the team could select a hometown favorite."
    [Cue Meat Lovers fans shooting coffee out their noses.]

"Adu is surrounded by a number of other good players, including defender Brandon Prideaux and left wing attacker Dema Kovalenko."

No mention of Jaime, Christian, Benji, etc.

Anyway, not much point to all this, just wanted to share a laugh before we play the Kansas team tonight. :)

2. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, nothing about how great the ventilators are around here?

I hear the Harbour View is quite good, with 1- and 2-bedroom condos still available and reasonably priced. :D

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had no idea that MLS had annexed the Jamaican Premier League until you posted that.

I also like the Kansas reference. It get's under their skin when we do it, but I bet an actual print source will really get them. :)

4. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Isn't that by Slaters Lane in Alexandria? ;)

I suppose any publicity is good, but this is slapdash to say the least. I'm surprised they didn't mention Chelsea as the latest expansion club.

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good enough for government work I suppose...

6. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Goddammit, somebody spilled the beans about DC United. We were hoping to keep that under wraps, now the big secret is out. :mad:

Thanks a lot, a-hole!

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    The Metro All-Stars?

This person is writing comedy gold!

8. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    I was hoping there would be something about Stokes being a leading MVP candidate in there.

9. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to snag a couple copies from the office, this ought to be good. I find this so called "publication" to be one of the worst written things to come out of the Federal Gov't since the last federal budget.