goodison logistics

Discussion in 'Everton' started by pookspur, Jul 8, 2012.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ayup you toffees.

i know this forum doesn't appear a hotbed of activity at the moment, but i wonder if i might impose upon any of you to answer a couple of logistical questions concerning what i hope to be an upcoming trip to goodison park come september.

basicly, it's just the simple stuff ... things that i'm sure any of you lot who've done the odd everton match will rattle off with ease. here's the deal: i'm wanting to take a train up from london on a monday for the newcastle united match in september (the 10th, i believe). the plan is to stay the night in liverpool, then head out on tuesday for sheffield, where i'll be meeting up with some wednesday mates to take in a couple of owls games. my issues are as follows:

* how difficult will it be for a non-member to acquire a ticket for this one?

* does anyone have a preferred/recommended (cheap) hotel with location convenient to public transport to/from train station (or 'stations', if arrival and departure will be from different ones) and goodison park?

* and where's a decent place for a bite and a pint pre-match in the neighborhood of the club?

simple stuff, eh?

i've been going over since '96, and my trips have sort of just become footy journeys over the last 10, or so, years. i'll always take in a spurs game or two, a wednesday game or two, then try to get to as many new grounds as i can in the time i'm over. goodison park has always had a strong appeal to me as one of the truly great old football grounds of britain, and (along with ibrox) is one of the very few that i've never seen, but to which i feel quite compelled. so i'm wanting to tick this box come september.

any help on this front will be greatly appreciated, and good luck to EFC in the coming months. cheers.

-dave

2. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    1. Shouldn't be too difficult. You can sign up to eticketing and book in advance (I've never had to use it before but not expecting it to be hard to use) or turn up at Goodison early on Monday and buy one at the ticket office. I'm not expecting it to sell-out, Goodison rarely does these days unless it's against United/Liverpool/opening game/end game etc.

2. If you're staying in Liverpool you'd have to stay in the City centre, mate. No idea on hotels and prices. No far in a taxi, a couple of quid.

3. Pre-match, either stay in the city centre and have a few drinks there and jump in a taxi to Goodison or get yourself onto County Road. Eateries aren't the best, unless you like the KFC's/McDonalds/Subways/Chippies. Plenty of pubs on there as well. Take your pick.

spider_kin and pookspur repped this.
  3. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    cheers, matey. much appreciated.

so long as i'm sure i can arrange a match ticket, it's a go. all other issues will be sorted easily enough. thanks again.

4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealous, I am - I will be over in March, so looking at the home match against Reading.....

5. CobrasCiudadJuarez

Jul 16, 2003
    El Paso

Hey, I am planning on the January 30/February 2 matches against West Brom and Aston Villa......Have you already started your planning?

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just getting started - need to firm up my work dates over there - I'll be in London for part of the trip and then on to Edinburgh - so am flexing the schedule so I can catch the Reading match.

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    a timely thread bump that is, as it's reminded me that tickets to the newcastle match go on general sale tomorrow morning. i'll set the alarm a few minutes early, then.

whilst i'm here, though, might i ask where you who've gone consider the best seats at goodison to be? i've got a thing for archibald leitch stands, and was thinking i'd do upper bullens, but there seem to be alot of obstructions, and i'm wondering if upper main might not give better views? and at least as significantly, which tends to offer better 'atmosphere'?

thanks in advance (assuming anyone addresses this query within the next nine hours). :D

8. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    My season ticket is in the Lower Gwladys and I've only ever sat there so I can't really help you that much on views. I'd imagine the Main Stand and Top Balcony would have good views, if you're not behind a big pole!

When Goodison gets going, all 4 stands are very vocal but consistently, the Gwladys Street is the most atmospheric. Particularly the Lower Gwladys.