Goodbye MLS Cup

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Gloucestershire Lad, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Gloucestershire Lad

Gloucestershire Lad New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    So eighteen games without defeat followed by two dismal showings in the MLS play-offs, against a not terribly good Revolution team.

This evening's home play-off match at the Crew Stadium was painful, to put it mildy. The standard of football by both teams was horrendous; a clear embarrassment to The Beautiful Game. Based on the performances tonight, Bath City could have taken these two teams to the cleaners. Yet, this was a play-off game, where you'd expect the skill level to rise up a notch.

The referee should shoulder some blame -- he gave a first-half penalty to the Crew, yet didn't book the offending Revolution player. He then gave a second-half penalty to the Crew which clearly wasn't a penalty. From where we were sitting (right behind the goal at the "South end"), it was a good tackle by the Revolution, which then should have resulted in a corner for the Crew, not a penalty. Not that it mattered, as both penalties were missed (I think a video guide of how Alan Shearer takes his penalties would be a useful addition in the Crew dressing room).

The kindest thing for the suffering fans on a chilly night would have been to take off the entire Crew team at half-time and replace them with 10 of the Nutcracker dancers (who put on that bizarre performance at half-time), plus that irritating Crew moggy. New England wouldn't have noticed, being as their defending consisted of kicking the ball wildly in any direction, and relying on a two-man break for attacking. Mind you, that's how they scored !

Based on tonight's showing, I'm sure DC United have already booked their flight to California. :mad:

2. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    I've been to Bath City. Bath City is a massive club.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Tiverton Town wan't to make us their development franchise.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were sitting there and missed Frankie's Hand (of God) Ball? That missed call is exactly why no Crew fan can b!tch about the officiating last night.

Also, how did NE play poorly last night? They sat back, started their defense just shy of half field, and countered quickly and efficiently. Contrary to everything Jimmy Boy ever told us, NE is a team that is truly built for the playoffs.

5. Gloucestershire Lad

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, completely missed the handball -- I may have fallen asleep out of sheer boredom by that time.

While I'll agree that New England relied on the counter-attack, of which they had several, the fact they wasted every chance except one does not bring the word "efficient" to mind.

The fact remains that as a footballing spectacle this was not a treat for the eyes. Far from it.

6. Gloucestershire Lad

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey, I'm all for West Country expansion ! By the way, Tiverton have an excellent website.

7. Gloucestershire Lad

Oct 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    They'll be even more massive if they win at high-flying Barnet in the F.A.Cup 1st Round.

I've been to their ground as well -- had a nice pint of Toby Bitter at their Sports & Social Club !