Goodbye Alan Shearer [R]

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Prenn, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got injured today against Sunderland and it will put him out for the rest of the season. As it stands he's played his last game as a professional footballer.

So I ask you this question:

Did big Al make the most of his career for club and country?

I say no. One of the best strikers that England has ever produced has one medal sitting in his cupboard. IMO he should have gone to Man Utd for a few seasons, won a few things then moved to Newcastle.

As an England player he was good when he was good but most of the time he was keeping Robbie Fowler out of the team and sending crosses in from the wing. He didn't retire a moment too soon.

Thoughts?

2. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Shearer defines what a real footballer should be. He stayed at Newcastle because that was the club he loved. Money weighed less than devotion to his club and I commend him for that.

He should have performed better for England, I think he should have done more for country. But then again, I am a country before club kind of guy.

3. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    I think you both have valid points. In terms of his career and ambitions, the move to Newcastle was probably the wrong one, but there is an element of 'romanticism' in that he chose his favourite club instead of going for glory. He certainly could have won more, but he's written his name in the history books for other reasons.

4. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I don't think he'll ever be regarded abroad with the respect that he has here (or the respect that he deserves as one of the best strikers of the last decade). His lack of honours and failure to consistently compete in the CL work against him.

5. ISiddiqui

ISiddiqui Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly (though I may be a bit biased ;)). Players who want to go to their hometown team (or stay with the first team that gave them a real chance) and are willing to take a bit less glory always appeal to me, though.

6. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The thing that makes Alan Shearer such a great player and a hero is that he didn't go to Man U, he came back to his home club and played for them like he'd always wanted too. Yes he probably could have won more at Man U but he was appreciated more here.

Just because he didn't win alot doesn't make him a worse player. Any player that wins; Overall Player of the Decade, Domestic Player of the Decade, Outstanding Contribution to the FA Premier League and Top Goalscorer, the PFA Players' Player of the Year award twice, Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year and scores 379 top flight goals at an average of .5 a game isn't a bad player. His international record was just under .5 goals a game, nearly won Euro 96 and scored the goal that beat Germany for the first time in about 1000 years.

The sad thing is that because he didn't play for Man U, Liverpool or a London club he'll be forever underrated.

[​IMG]

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Twice.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Whilst I generally agree that his decision to choose Newcastle was mildly laudable in that certainly part of that decision was down to sentiment, I do think people overplay the significance of it.

Fact is, on both the occasions he turned United down, he went to a club that was offering more money. Now, that's not by any means the whole story and I'm not implying he acted in financial self-interest above anything else, but it was a factor.

Secondly, both decisions (going to Blackburn in 1993 and Newcastle in 1996) were also influenced by the genuine (if mistaken) belief that he had as good a chance of winning there as he did at United. It is only with hindsight, after all, that we now look at United as the unquestionably dominant club of the 1990's. In 1993, that was by no means the case and even in 1996 it didn't take quite the selling job to argue that Newcastle could genuinely compete for honours with United than it would now.

With regard to how he should be remembered, that's simple. He's the finest Number 9 England has produced since the 1950's. And at his peak, around 1995, he was one of the finest strikers in the world. I well remember Marcello Lippi's comment from around that time to exactly that effect.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I agree. In the mid 90's he was, for me, the best striker in Europe and I do believe he got a lot of respect on the continent. I think his game didn't really recover from the injury he sustained....at Goodison ?...pre season..? 1997..?

10. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well in my opinion one of the best strikers in his generation, since i started watching football he has been one of the best strikers out there, no doubt.

11. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remeber the season he won the league for Rovers he was nothing short of a sensation,as he was every season for Rovers. He became a Newcastle legend and record-breaker after his best (imo).

12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    If you were to name the best players England has ever had then the names of Finney and Matthews would come up numerous times. Between them they won one FA Cup - the fact that Shearer has only one medal will not go against him.
    The only things that go against him for me are that he should have quite international football at least a year before he did and his reaction to the clash with Neil Lennon.

13. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    England's England's Number One!!!!!

14. AstonVillaFan

AstonVillaFan BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 13, 2005
    He may not have many medals but he has alot of respect.

He didn't sell out to(Arsenal, Lpool, Or Man U) ok maybe the Mcds thing wans't that hott but still.

He loved his club, and he played his best. By the way this wasn't his last game hes cleared to play. I hope he comes back and coaches. Hed be great. To be honest let him have Sven's job.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know the story of him being missed by Newcastle because he played in goal once but to tout him ahead of Robinson? ;)

16. EHB1

EHB1 New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    I respect his desire to play for his hometown club but he should have gone to MU for 4 seasons or so...

17. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean glory-hunting and playing for money rather than the love of your club? :)

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I became an Alan Shearer fan during the overtime world cup game vs Argentina, when with England down to 10, he was working from goal line to goal line. He showed me why he was Englands captain in that game.

19. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

manU or chelsea fan maybe?

love, passion, comitment, drive, shear(er) talent.

i only watch him play for 2 seasons but with alan it felt like a life time

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    robinson's a legend, allright. but why bring it up here on the shearer thread? perhaps the tottenham hotspur appreciation thread over in the newcastle forum would be better for this.

shearer is a legend, by the way. too bad he couldn't have had an appropriate final match at st james'.

21. Lampard 1

Lampard 1 New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Untied Kingdom
    Hi, i cant really picture Alan Shearer in the Man U strip that just really wouldnt be him!

22. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Typically he goes out banging in the goals.

23. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I'll miss his elbows and nazi salutes. ( :eek: Just kidding)

I as well think he probably expected a lot more of NFC's future when he went there. Maybe he even thought they would fair better than MUFC. It's different when looking back in hindsight, where it looks like he intentionally chose a definetly weaker club.

24. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    And from the penalty spot too.

Oh the irony.