Good news, bad news (Result SJ-NY)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by JeffGMc, Oct 5, 2003.

1. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Metro win means they keep pace to put a damper on the chance of home field advantage through the playoffs, but the SJ loss means we're only 3 points behind for the Supporters Shield.

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's 2 points behind. Anyway's, it's good news to me. If we get the shield, we get home field. Only in america! :)

3. FireAddict

FireAddict Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Grayslake, IL
    momentum?

Actually, I think that the SJ loss is good for us. 2 points behind in the Supporters Shield with 2 games with Columbus. The only possible down side is....Does the win give the MetroScum added momentum and confidence going into the 15th, the Open Cup final? Actually maybe it works to our favor..they win today, play the Burn next weekend and get over confident for the foloowing Wed Cup final game. Actually I doubt Bob lets that happen... but it's a nice scenario.

4. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    and to top it off there was a Faria sighting...

Donovan was a total hack, it's a shame.

5. Paul D

Paul D New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    lower wacker drive
    The run in for the supporters shield looks like this:
    SJ 49 pts: away to Colorado, Away to LA, Home vs. LA
    Fire 47pts: Home to Columbus, Away to Colorado, Home vs. Columbus.

I think the Fire can win at least 2 giving us 53 points, which means SJ can win, loose, draw for 4 points and we still loose on goal differential. The Fire need to win 2, draw 1 to at least give us a chance. We should have Mapp, Brown & Ralph back to help the cause.

6. Paul D

Paul D New Member

Aug 6, 2000
    lower wacker drive
    Wasn't it great to see Faria missing shots & sucking butt for some other team?

7. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    yep.

We are screwed for the supporters shield because SJ has the Gals twice...

8. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What else I like about this result: SJ got beat, at home, by the Metros. And not just the Metros--by the kids and extras: Regan, Gaven, Magee, Bartolomeu, Leitch. No Mathis, no Richie Williams (not that that would hurt them. The Fire should take heart from that. I mean, after the last two blowouts, everybody was ready to hand SJ the trophy. Dave, study the film--Bob may yet help us to the Championship! (Well, maybe to all three!)

Downside/regrets: look where we'd be if we'd just held on against the Rapids!

9. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Well, if SJ is only winning one game, while we win two, our goal difference will go up at least two. As long as one of those Fire wins is by a larger margin than the hypothetical SJ win, we'll at least tie on goal difference. The Head to Head tie breaker is held by the Fire, so if Colorado has a good game on Wednesday, we're in complete control of our own fate as regards the Supporters Sheild. Unfortunately, the last time that was true we were headed to play the Burn.

10. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    should be:
    home to crew, home to colo, away to crew
    Think of it this way. We need to win one more than SJ.

11. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know we're 2 points to tie, but I meant a clear victory.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah... never mind then.

13. Emiliano240

Emiliano240 New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Optimistic

To elaborate on what FireAddict was saying...

At this point on paper (I know it doesn't mean all that), but we're in great shape for the Supporters Shield.

Chicago:
    10.10 – CLB
    10.18 – COL
    10.26 – @ CLB

San Jose:
    10.10 – @ COL
    10.18 – @ LA
    10.25 – LA

San Jose's good, but in the 3 remaining games we have two home games to their one; and, in addition we play Columbus twice instead of Los Angeles twice. No question we have the easier of the matchups.

We still do have those 2 points to make up, but San Jose's schedule should benefit us, assuming we make the most out of our remaining matches.

(oops, just noticed I looked over Paul D's post...exactly what I was thinking :) )

14. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Re: Optimistic

As I look at the schedules, the Fire look to have a less arduous task than the Quakes. The one thing that worries me, though, is Columbus. Those guys will likely be desperate to make the playoffs and give the Fire a ton of trouble. Colorado doesn't concern me quite as much as they can't catch San Jose or fall behind KC at this point.

The only thing that will give the Fire a clear shot at the shield is L.A.'s determination to leapfrog the Wizards and avoid the Quakes in the postseason. A draw and a loss from the Quakes could well be enough for the Men in Red.

15. IrishLass22

IrishLass22 New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    LAL & FRO
    I have not had much luck with jinxes recently, people...somebody do some serious woodknocking, quick!

16. Cyclone

Cyclone New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    tie breakers

I believe that goal difference is irrelevant as far as the race with SJ for the supporters shield because we already own the first tie-breaker. That is we already won the head-to-head match-up with them. Didn't we tie KC in 2000 for the SS, but loose it on head-to-head?