Good Bye Tim Ream, Hello Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    How long have you and I been talking about this now?:p

2. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too long. And people were all over us when we were being very critical of him. He's still a good player. I just don't see him making "the jump".

And let me be more specific: I don't think he'll get a LOT better in any of the areas I outlined above. Honestly I think his ceiling is probably being a great player in say...Denmark.

Hope he proves me wrong though.

3. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I was always taught that you look for leaps of improvement from younger players. They get certain facets, they step up, it becomes part of their regular game and they move on.

Not seeing that at all from our boy. Way to many of the same issues over and over again...from day one.:(

The longer he goes on, the more discouraging it gets.

Maybe he does need Europe for that kick in the pants.

Yeah, we're not getting hammered for pointing out that Edu isn't Makele, or anything remotely close either. A new poster might think we are nuts, but two years ago the conventional BS wisdom among many was quite different.

Wasn't it?

It's not that we are all that bright, it's just people love to ignore things for the sake of their player or our team. That doesn't change how the player actually performs of course, but emotion and soccer go together.

I was proclaiming Shea as the next US youth system failed physical specimen.
    Odds were in my favor...glad to be wrong. Hope he keeps improving.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ream/Omar/John all need to go to Europe if they want to solidify a spot on the NT. MLS coaches are simply far to forgiving with this long ball crap, and they need to face more potent offenses and a faster speed to the game on a regular basis.

MLS is great for many Americans. It is not great however, for the handful who want to solidify a spot on the NT. They need to think and play at a faster speed. That aint happening here.

5. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I agree that Wondo deserves more looks. I hope he goes to a mid level euro league and lights it up. He's a good finisher. That is in awfully short supply in the US right now. Bunbury and Agudelo are great looking bodies and hopefully will develop into good strikers in the future. I have a feeling people are in love with the way they look and "could" play instead of actual results. Unfortunately being a striker is a results oriented business.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I wasn't all over you - I've always said that you can't judge a player like Ream in the short term and to act like any earlier views are vindicated now is short sighted, in my opinion. Lots of better soccer minds than the three of us rate him as worth a National team look and a National team prospect. For anyone to pretend like it was idiot fans rating Ream ignores the fact that he has been a starter in a decent league since day one and has earned a National team look.

The showing glimpses of something special isn't a BigSoccer fantasy. I'm also not convinced the criticisms of Ream have been consistent in what his flaws are. Few in our pool can drop a ball in the path of a streaking forward forward the way Ream can. It seems some - not you - think mocking his selection based only on his passing makes any kind of sense. We need players with skill on the ball who can make passes like this. In my opinion it's much easier for defenders to get better at offside traps and covering their man than it is to teach skill on the ball, vision of the field and the ability to make that kind of pass. How is appreciating Ream's skill on the ball ever a foolish thing as a National team fan?

And apparently it needs mentioning to many here that a couple of glaring mistakes doesn't prove anything. He needs to get better and I think he will. He was one of the best players for Red Bulls his rookie season. Gooch has been a mess numerous times for us - passing to the other team for a goal, bad red cards, a disaster for Newcastle, etc., etc., and yet the conventional wisdom now seems to be that he's solid for us even though he's still coming back from some not great injuries.

Steve Cherundolo himself said he was clueless about being a defender when he was converted to right back (and in my opinion he used to show it), and now he's many peoples' first pick as our best defender and has improved enormously.

And even right now - with Ream struggling, we don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches at his position do we? Do we want Bocanegra to start at the next World Cup? Maybe one of the other prospects people are hoping are the next world beater will really come forward and shine, but we need may Ream in the pool. The goal that Ream got beat on vs. Ecuador is the kind of error that Bocanegra never has? Give me a break.

Ream is humble and works his butt off and seems to have ambitions about getting better - unlike some of our other high profile prospects who started out seemingly indifferent to working hard.

My money is on him improving considerably and cleaning up a lot of the mental errors in the next few seasons. We Yanks are notorious late bloomers and he's playing a position that needs some seasoning.

The only reasonable position on Ream, in my opinion, is to see him for what he is - a good prospect for the National team who may or may not pan out. To take an extreme position in either direction is just the opinion of a fan - it's not about better or worse soccer knowledge than other fans with different opinions because the answer is unknowable.

But, it's way too soon to tell if the glass half fullers are closer to the truth than their counterparts.

7. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. surfnturf

surfnturf Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I basically agree, though fraud is a bit strong. Frankly, if Gooch was forced to be 'mentored' by Rafa "El Super Cabron" Marquez, (and not allowed to kick his arrogant ass), then even he would appear fraudulent.

But yes, bring on Omar and end the charade.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying you were. However, there were a number of posters who jumped on the "play him now" bandwagon. When I came out to offer fair criticism of his play and my concerns about same some of the responses I got back approached "you're a hater" level.

This has more to do with the standards that we are holding our young CB's to. We want them to be better than Gooch and Boca. That is the standard. Ream has shown potential and I project him as a Goodson type at this point in time. Obviously professional coaches know more than I do so if they see his ceiling as higher than that then I pray to God it's true. Honestly I think he was quite a bit worse this year for Red Bull than last. HOWEVER, that may have a lot more to do with Marquez and the general Red Bull team makeup than anything else. Impossible for me to tell. Next season is a big one for him. People will forgive a sophomore slump, but you're expected to rebound from that.

I agree with all of this. It's funny how fans were clamoring for more ball control in the back and once they got it they started piling on the guy. Did they think we were gonna un-earth a complete CB in 2011? No way. It's a role that will take a full cycle to develop.

Again, we are all holding the new crop of CB's to a very high standard. We want the complete package at a very high level.

This is one of his strengths, but it won't matter unless he can actually GET BETTER.

Agreed. However, there is an aspect to central defending that is something that can't be taught and I have yet to see it from Ream.

Again, I think we're getting crossed up here. My analysis of his play thus far is fair and based on that play I have an opinion that he will be no better than a Goodson level CB. I'm not a pro coach or scout so take it as it is. Just callin' it how I see it and praying I'm wrong.

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Why is Tim Ream in the USMNT squad?

- he's a central defender
    - he's left footed
    - he's strong on the ball ("He’s a center back who is comfortable and calm in possession of the ball. He plays a good passing game, he’s an excellent passer." Hans Backe)

Tim Ream is already 24 years old and so far he's only played 57 professional games. He made his professional debut on March 27, 2010, so we're basically talking about a guy who's only played little over 18 months of professional soccer.

Can we expect (more) mistakes? Yes!
    Is that a problem? Only if it costs us WCQ.

NB Gonzalez isn't a 'real' replacement because he's right footed.

11. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All i have to say is thank goodness we have a left footed LB named Chandler :rolleyes:

12. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Uhm no. But what's your point anyway?

13. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    That your claim of Omar not being able to replace Ream just because he isn't left footed is ridiculous and just plain wrong....since Chandler put in a really good performance at LB the last game despite not being left footed......

Omar for Ream makes so much sense right now, if he doesn't get called up for the next camp then we deserve to lose him to Mexico, who I'm sure is at least interested in taking a look at a tall, strong CB.

14. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm, thought my sarcasm was pretty obvious...

as DCFAN96 put claiming a player couldnt replace another player b/c he isnt left or right footed is plain wrong. My example was that Chandler is our best option at LB despite being right footed. Not to mention, if our entire player pool was healthy, my top 2 players for LB would be Chandler and Lichaj. Both right footed players. And lets not forget Jonathan Spector, a right footed player, has played the bulk of his professional career at LB.

In the Confeds we had Gooch and Demerit playing CB positions. Are either of them left footed? (here's hoping they arent and i dont look like a prat using this example) :D

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't have any problem with that opinion - my issue is with the implication that any theories about his limitations have been vindicated by these few appearances. As my post mentioned, we've come to lots of conclusions about lots of players early in their professional careers only for new evidence to change our opinions. Heck, many folks, myself included, thought Dempsey might not quite have what it takes to succeed in the Premiership back when he was struggling for minutes - too slow, too much of a tweener, no real position, etc. and I think he's proved a lot of people wrong.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I may be in the minority, but I want Chandler to play his best position - on the right.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious as to why so many want Omar called up, but aren't calling for the same with Cameron?

Yes, Omar needs a shot. Ream has been not been successful, and his confidence must be at an all time low. I think he will be an international level CB at some point, but that point is a few years away, and after he spends time in a better league with better coaching.

Now that nobody wants Ream/Orozco called up, everyone is calling for Omar. I think Cameron could be a better fit, especially next to Gooch. Some have called for Cameron, but not nearly as many who have called for Omar. Why? I actually think Cameron is better suited for international play, as well as Klinsys system.

18. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1. he doesn't seem as fluid in the attack from the left. I think Cherundolo and Chandler should switch. Chandler can attack on the right and Dolo can stay home with Shea attacking the left.

Jmo

19. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    And how is it ridiculous and plain wrong? What does Chandler's last game performance have anything to do with Gonzalez. Even if Gonzalez was Chandler's clone there would not be a point to your argument.

On a side note, playing Chandler on LB might cause some trouble in build up, and if it does it's far from optimal either.

I guess it was too subtle for me the first time 'round.

Chandler and Lichaj being the best options at LB is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

No, but this has nothing to do with Jurgen Klinsmann's preferred style of playing or JK's squad selection (criteria).

This leads me to a question: have you ever played CB and if so was it on a team that would build up from the back? If not, have you at least watched teams play that build up their attacks from the back line?

20. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +2. You said that perfectly. Repped.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the present tense I think they have been.

Zoid and myself saw flaws in his game that we thought would prevent him from being a strong CB at the international level in the here and now. I think it's fair to say that was pretty spot on.

Could he improve on those flaws and be better tomorrow? Anything is possible.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather test Omar first because it has been and continues to be his natural role. CB (like any spot on the field I guess) is about instincts and positioning. That comes with repetition.

IMO this is a major problem right now. He had a decent start to the season and then everything started to snowball after his giveaway against Philly. He's been able to put in a strong performance here and there (the Emirates Cup, away to Dallas) but hasn't been able to keep that form over a handful of games.

23. US2014

US2014 Red Card

Jun 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +3 Chandler is a more dangerous player as a RB but as we all know Klinsmann is not going to do it unless Cherundolo gets injured or starts playing like crap like he did against Ecuador.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not going to do it because we don't have another LB. If Chero gets hurt, expect Lichaj to get his shot when he's healthy again, in a couple months.

I still think Lichaj at RB, and Chandler at LB will be our starters at the WC.

25. US2014

US2014 Red Card

Jun 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see what Fabian Johnson can do at LB and move Chandler at RB.