Good Bye Tim Ream, Hello Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Can you reproduce the quote where Jurgen Klinsmann states that he "prefers young boys who were groomed in the foreign academy format over adult/college route players"?

And you've seen a couple of Morales' games?

Re: the secret formula. Personally I complete disapprove with what seems to me has become a goal rather than a means: assessing dual-Americans who live and/or have grown up abroad.

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Eric Wynalda's judgement on Omar Gonzalez is spot on. Eric knows soccer and he is never afraid to let his opinions known.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    His actions speak for themself. The only new core players that he has brought in that has gone through the more traditional US method has been Edu. Everyone else has been project-40, or Bradenton or foreign training.

Honestly, never heard of him until yesterday. I frequent YA and rarely see a mention of him. Heck he isn't even a flavor of the day on this board. Tells me, likely, I shouldn't expect too much out of him. But hey, best of luck to him and the coach and the US team if he works out.

And while I'm not a big fan for John or Gonzalez (but I like Cameron - but Bob appears to not have), I would think these players are further along than this guy. But continue talking to him.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    That's because you are becoming dangerously close to becoming the Missionary for Omar. Don't sweat. We can criticize him and you don't need to respond to each and every negative comment of him.

Eric and FSC has never seen an LA player that they don't like.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I dislike ream for one reason: he is a bad defender.

everytime he plays, he gets scored on. I don't need to see any more.

Might be the same for gonzo at the US level.

I would rather see Ream not play than Gonzo play for the US, that's how bad that dude is.

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    so what did he say?

I would be happy with Cameron as well. Houston dominated Philly yesterday and Cameron seems to have a nasty streak which all good defenders seem to have.

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Yes, but this doesn't mean he prefers these particular players on the mere fact that they've taken a particular route to professional soccer. Which you seem to be insinuating.

Yes well if everyone on YA is like you, this doesn't mean a thing. Besides, YA's knowledge and (capability of the) assessment of soccer players is probably not of such a degree that the coach of the USMNT can leave scouting Yanks abroad solely to them. :eek:

8. ChiTown2012 redded

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Also it looks like you are a Red Bulls fan no matter what your opinion is it looks like he is going to win MLS Defender of the Year and deserves a call up more than anybody else right now but its not gonna happen unless he goes to Europe if he wants to be in the WC he should go to Europe ASAP like in January if he wants to impress Jurgen.

9. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His past two games? In the first leg at NY Omar was a beast. Luke Rodgers couldn't get around Omar at all.

NY didn't score on the first leg did they?

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah. The past two games looked like his season last year (2010). Good one game, bad the next. inconsistent.

11. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Ives says West Brom is looking at him.

I am never one to say a player should rush to Europe, but TR ain't a kid.

Maybe this will be the learning experience he needs, or just a plain ass kicking.

He'll either clean up his game or play against Grella in D1 on loan.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'd get some answers quicker than MLS can provide that's for sure.

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Yup.

Want to really know what ya got? Go.

Don't think the Bulls let him walk now. Was it a 3 year deal or the standard 4?

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that he's under contract until the end of the 2013 season. He makes about $60,000 per year which is highway robbery (and great business) by the Red Bulls. They offered him a new contract last offseason for triple figures, but he turned it down which makes me think he's either pretty confident of a European team coming in and making them an offer they can't refuse, or he's happy to ride out MLS and make sure he's out of here by 2013.

My 2 cents is that either a European squad is going to throw a boatload of money at Red Bull this season, or they'll seel him during the 2013 campaign. Red Bull would be absolutely retarded to let him go on a free.

16. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    All depends on what their plan is. We've got to deal with Marquez of course.

I pray they bite the bullet and get rid of him, but would anyone take him, even in Mexico? You would hope someone would down there. He is getting paid a lot for being crap...in more ways than playing.

We have the extra DP. If RB goes out and gets a strong central defender than we may have an answer. My guess is they hold on to him this year and then sell him. Hope he can at least set up a training stint over there.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    MLS seems best at letting players go during the off season, not the summer transfer market, so hopefully its this winter.

Rumor has it Atlas is interested. RBNY should PAY to transfer him there.

18. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    West Brom looking to pip Arsenal to MLS defender Tim Ream

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footba...oking-to-pip-arsenal-to-mls-defender-tim-ream

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd have an easier chance getting a work permit from Arsenal than he would from West Brom.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts getting risky if NY waits until the last year of his contract to sell though. More then likely won't get as much with under a year left on the contract. I think NY has this coming period, and the summers to get a good amount for Ream. I just don't see offers being as great a little over a year from now, let alone the summer of 2013.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case, he would be better off with Arsenal.

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    That's the thing. The system here is set up so you don't have to sell.

The owners have such deep pockets, and costs are controlled, that you don't need to raise that cash for the team. They already have the cash.

They simply may not have a replacement for him and want to keep him for another year. I few mill isn't going to matter to Red Bull.

I do think it's a big deal for TR of course. Pay raise being the big one, and we find out if he can take that step up that folks constantly project for him. I don't see us finding the answer out here in MLS.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope that Jurgen takes the time to catch the MLS Cup - he'll be able to see Cameron and Gonzalez in that game.