Good Burgers in NYC

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by needs, Jan 26, 2006.

1. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I'm too lazy to go digging through Chowhound, so any burger recommendations? Needs to be for dinner, so I can't do the Peter Luger lunch burger, I'd also like to avoid the $35 kobe/foie gras burger.

Any recs for downtown or brooklyn would be outstanding, but I'd appreciate any help.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, since I think you live in my neighborhood, surely you know about Bonnie's. One of my favorite places for burgers in the city.

3. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There is a spinoff of egullet which is a burger club. I'll see if I can dig up their top list. I'm not crazy about Island Burger in the 50s and 9th.

4. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    [hangs head] I was not aware of Bonnie's[/hangs head]

I looked it up and that pretty much settles it for tonight.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Be sure to try the Chipotle mayo (I think it automatically comes with it) - it's in ketchup squeeze bottles on tables if you eat there I believe. I always get jalapenos with mine also.

Their chicken wings can be almost too spicy for me -- but people seem to like them. Not really my thing.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  7. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    That was great. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to try a good burger just outside of NYC, I would recommend the Ironhorse in Westwood, NJ.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I wish they delivered because I would probably order there more often. Or maybe that's a good thing. As it is, I get takeout there it seems like at least once a month.

I think some of them may be US soccer fans because during a recent friendly I ended up eating there and they had the game on and were watching.

10. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    I'm pretty glad it's not closer (I'm on 10th Ave), given the fact that my cholesterol count is already kind of high.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Where is that -- on the other side of the park? Is that considered Park Slope? I'm between 4th and 5th.

What part of NJ is that?

Another outside of the city just for the purpose of this thread - I had a great burger in Woodside Queens whose name escapes me at the moment but I believe is considered one of the best.

12. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Windsor Terrace, just off Prospect Park Southwest, it's the 15th street F stop.

PPW is 9th Ave, I think east of there and south of 15th is where Windsor Terrace starts.

13. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    JG Melons.

Upper East Side. A great little bar. I dont know the address off the top of my head, but just google it. The burgers are small, so you might need 2.

But very, very good. Gets crowded, for good reason.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google the name & Mapquest the address. From midtown without traffic 30 minutes. With traffic an hour.

15. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Those Bacon Cheeseburgers are the shiznit.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Island Burgers and Shakes in Hell's Kitchen (@50th and 9th). Awesome stuff.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's starting to feel like I enjoy trolling nicephoras - but I just wasn't blown away by Island Burgers. I've only been once though so I should give it another chance. That round burger (is it steamed?) just didn't do it for me for some reason.

A fun place is the place in the park on 23rd and Broadway (Shake Shack)? Maybe not the best, but fun to get cheap burgers and beer and sit in the park with the field mice and rats dancing around your feet.

Ate at the place in Queen's again this weekend (Donovan's). One of the best burgers in the city, IMO.

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dk - where exactly is Bonnies?

19. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I 2nd this choice.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Steamed? :confused: I didn't think so.............
    And its all right DK - better you trolling me about the finer points of NYC cuisine than phishy stalking me with snide gay remarks. :)

Incidentally, I think we had a thread just like this in August/September. I think Ombak took my Island Burgers challenge and was impressed. :D

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Shows what Ombak knows :p

Not sure why I had that in my head - maybe because the burgers were round and I've since seen that Burger America movie where they visit a steamed burger place.

The burger was really juicy and good (my friend sprayed his shirt with juice on the first bite), but I just wasn't blown away with the overall product. The lack of fries also takes something away from the experience IMO. But I should probably give it another chance.

23. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've never been a big fan of Island Burger, they're just too big and while I like all the choices, I wish they just did a simple burger really well.

Which is why I'm a huge fan of the Burger Joint over in the lobby of Le Parker Meridian hotel (56th and 6th). Tiny little place off in the corner, incredible burgers, amazing shakes, good music. If you can't find the corner, ask the front desk.

24. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

This Island's :confused:

[​IMG]

25. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire