Good, bad and ugly from A-League

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by purojogo, Oct 24, 2003.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon if this is already here...Never posted on this forum before, but i quickly browsed through the other threads...This article from Soccer America:
    "A-League: All Charged Up" did look hopeful about the future of the 2nd division in the US...
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562133940

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article.

I've missed some updates, whats the status of Riverhawks and the Storm?
    Gone for 2004?

3. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Calgary is back, no one seems to know for sure about Cincy.

4. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Interesting that they peg the Thunder's move away from the National Sports Center as instantly bad. To me, it's more up-in-the-air.

I know of one location that has the same quality pitch as the NSC, and others that are close. Ultimately, this will be bad or good based on the number of kilobutts in the seats versus the amount of rent they pay.

Hopefully there will be an answer to where they will play shortly.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the writer meant it was bad anytime a team moves stadiums. Take the Charlotte Eaglesfor example, they played in a least three different stadiums last season and their attendence suffered, and now they are self-relegating.

I know the Minnesota situation is different but switching staidums every couple years doesn't scream "professional" to sponsors and casual fans.

6. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    True, but as you said, the situation in this case is different.

It was not a case of the Thunder being unable to play at the NSC, but in responce to a very constant drumbeat (one I don't understand myself, but impossible to ignore its presance) that Blaine is too far out-of-the-way. The reality is that the Thunder pulls in the same number of people on a mid-week game in St. Paul than on a weekend game in Blaine - not to mention a long-standing desire that the NSC knock down its rent (which it won't do).

So, the Thunder are rolling the dice. Assuming they can get a professional-enough facility (image means a lot), and get the word out about the move (which the started near the end of the season), I think they have a good chance of making it work, and work well.

I'll start getting worried if there's not a deal struck by mid-november.

7. propes

propes New Member

Jun 22, 1999
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    FYI - several newspaper articles (not online - pop over to USLdiscussions for the copies) have been written that the Thunder are using this break from the NSC as the launching pad for a new soccer specific (god I hope no track) stadium.

8. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'm one of those people that can understand the drumbeat to ditch Blaine. I love the facilities there. What I don't love is the drive nor having anything nearby to stop at before or after the game with friends. And I can't imagine how much more annoying that drive is for people living in Eden Prairie, Lakeville, and other places on the south side of town.